• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

PCGen Saurial Flyer?

GodPhoenix

First Post
This is probably a really dumb question...but i just downloaded PCGen and I'm a bit overwhelmed.

I want to add the race Saurial Flyer from Dragon #292 page 37 so I can use PCGen to keep/modify my saurial psion...how on earth do I do that? or (better) has anyone else already done it? ;)

I'm just a bit nervous about playing with tags and whatnot.

Oh, and is PCGen the program for a coding-illiterate person like myself?

Mynex

First Post
GodPhoenix said:
This is probably a really dumb question...but i just downloaded PCGen and I'm a bit overwhelmed.

I want to add the race Saurial Flyer from Dragon #292 page 37 so I can use PCGen to keep/modify my saurial psion...how on earth do I do that? or (better) has anyone else already done it? ;)

I'm just a bit nervous about playing with tags and whatnot.

Oh, and is PCGen the program for a coding-illiterate person like myself?

It can be a bit intimidating diving into the tag syntax, but the best way to learn is to look at other races, and usually copy and play with what you want to change... also take a good look at the documentation... it's constantly evolving, so some things may be out of date, wrong, or not there, but we're trying. :)

As for you're specific question, to the best of my knowledge, it's never been coded into PCGen, and if it was, it would be part of the Wizards Non SRD material that we are not using. We're in negotiations with Wizards to allow us the use of the Non SRD material, and hopefully we can soon put all the good stuff back into it. :)

Knightcrawler

First Post
Its not all that hard to start learning the PCGen code. You did happen to pick one of the less touched upon parts of it though. As Mynex said though pull up the race files from several other sources amfd see how there put together. When most people start out making files for PCGen its a lot of cutting and pasting from already created files.

GodPhoenix

First Post
Cut and paste it is then...that's how I learned html, lo those many years ago. ;) I'll let you know how it goes...my wife is a programmer so I'll be leaning on her if I have to.

lemme ask you a different question...i know you probably have a bias for the #1 program..but what is the second best character making program? ;)

Knightcrawler

First Post
I got hooked on PCGen before I had a chance to look at any other programs out there. At this point I know a lot about doing files in PCGen and have spent a lot of time entering the files. So I don't see myself changing any time soon. Also there's the whole loyalty thing at this point. Hehehe...

GodPhoenix

First Post
Attempts at making it...help!

Ok, I've tried converting it but I get this:

Total AC: 11 Init: +0 BAB: +0 HP: 0 Saves: Fortitude: +0 Reflex: +0 Willpower: +0 Size: S

Which is know is wrong...AC should be +4 (nat armor) Reflex should be +3 (racial) BAB should be +1 for being small and HP should be 2d8-2...with ECL3

Could someone look at this code and tell me where I went wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Saurial Flyer FAVCLASS:Rogue STARTFEATS:2 SIZE:S MOVE:Walk,20,Fly,50 REACH:5 HEIGHT:M:32:2:4:0:F:30:2:4:0 WEIGHT:M:30:1:1:F:25:1:1 AGE:20:2:4:3:6:4:6
CHOOSE:LANGAUTO:Common,Draconic
LANGBONUS:Sylvan,Elven,Celestial NATURALATTACKS:Claw,Weapon.Natural.Melee.Piercing.Slashing,*2,1d3|Tail,Weapon.Natural.Bludgeoning,*1,1d2
BONUS:CHECKS|BASE.Reflex|3|PREDEFAULTMONSTER:Y
BONUS:COMBAT|AC|4|TYPE=NaturalArmor.REPLACE|PREDEFAULTMONSTER:Y
BONUS:COMBAT|BAB|1|PREDEFAULTMONSTER:Y
LEVELADJUSTMENT:2
RACENAME:Saurial Flyer
SKILLMULT:1
HITDICE:2,8
VISION:Low-Light
CSKILL:Craft|Diplomacy|Jump|
BONUS:SKILL|Climb,Jump,Move Silently,Listen|2|TYPE=Racial
BONUS:SKILLRANK|Hide|4|PREDEFAULTMONSTER:Y
BONUS:STAT|CHR|-2 BONUS:STAT|CON|-2 BONUS:STAT|DEX|4 BONUS:TOHIT|TYPE=THROWN|1|PREDEFAULTMONSTER:Y
BONUS:TOHIT|TYPE=MELEE|1|PREDEFAULTMONSTER:Y
MONSTERCLASS:Humanoid:2
SA:+3 to reflex saves
SA:+4 size bonus to Hide checks
SA:Scent(Ex)
SA:protection from Sonic Attacks +4(Ex)
SA:Vulnerability to Gas Attacks -4(Ex)
SA:Cold Torpor
CR:2
TYPE:Humanoid
SOURCEPAGE:Dragon 292 p37

GodPhoenix

First Post
er...so i've looked at it some more...and what i really don't understand is the difference between straight monsters and straight pcs. what i mean is...do i have to bother with the predefaultmonster/y stuff if this is exclusively a pc race

Knightcrawler

First Post
Sorry just got back from Thanksgiving stuff. I'll dig out my Dragon and look at it. But if you want it for use as a PC race do it up as a PC race not as a default monster.

Wikidogre

First Post
now i have a question, i really have not had a chance to play, but where does one go to add thier own stuff? i have the latest 4.2.0 release.......just minor..

thnks

Remove ads