D&D 5E PCs as Ghosts

plancktum

First Post
Hi,

I've wondered if one of the PCs has unfinished business and is transformed into a ghost after it died.
I really like this idea, since it opens a bunch of story opportunities.
But from the mechanical side: Is the character still in posession of all abilities? Can a spellcaster still cast spells?

I would just say "yes", the character remains largely unchanged, but this leads to a large power increase due to the resistances of the ghost.
So I though about applying some drawbacks, but have no idea what possible drawbacks could look like...

Therefore: I'm happy for your ideas and input :)

best regards

Unwise

Adventurer
What about if the ghost cannot regain HP at all by normal methods? Every night at midnight he reanimates completely healed (even if he was dead) where ever his ancestral sword/mages staff is.

I would just base my next story arc around it rather than worry too much about balance. The resistances and immunities are not much of a problem - don't use enemies who are capable only of dealing the damage types he is immune to and it will be ok. Even with his resistances he won't be able to take on an encounter all by himself and in a group fight his durability only means that enemies will attack his allies (unless he is a tank). Possession is the only really problematic ability so I would limit it to once per long rest.
Flight, incorporeal movement and etherealness might be problematic if the story hasn't taken them into account, but if it has - they can bring nice variety to the gameplay.
As for drawbacks... turn undead is one, rebuke undead is another, I would probably also remove it's con bonus to hit points to reflect his lacking vitality.
Finally I would make the character loose rather than win experience from combats (to represent loosing the last remaining pieces of his humanity by giving up to vengeance and violence) and I believe that this will go a long way to make his newfound way feel much less of a boon. Being a ghost will make for a very good short story, but is unbalanced for a whole campaign.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
You don't have to make him a full ghost with all the abilities of a Monster Manual ghost.

I'd give him resistance to non-magic weapon attacks and necrotic damage; incorporeal movement; sunlight sensitivity; and vulnerability to radiant damage. Plus undead type (which has a lot of implications, since a lot of spells, like cure wounds and charm person won't work on him now). I'd also allow him to go "dim" -- quasi-invisibility that allows Stealth in any circumstance, using normal Stealth rules (basically, a "hide in plain sight" ability). Finally, he does half damage to corporeal targets, and they get advantage on saves against his spells and abilities.

This makes the ghostly character a mediocre combatant -- possibly a good tank, except not dealing much damage to most creatures, so he may be ignored. But it gives the ghost really great scouting ability, and it doesn't hinder his buffs and utility magic at all. That matches what I would expect from a ghostly character.

wedgeski

Adventurer
Just as a random suggestion, the 3E product "Ghostwalk" might have some inspiration for you, as it was based entirely on this idea.

ghosts with unfinished buisness can be interesting.
I'm thinking of ghosts being a option as warlock patron in my next campaign, where the ghost needas a body to complete a task befor it can rest.

Unwise

Adventurer
I had a similar short lived event in my game and the dwarven warrior/smith/runesmith died in his set of platemail. His soul bound to the armor and he became a ghost/animated-armor. This meant the he was not ethereal and not resistance to damage, he just picked up abilities like not needing to sleep, eat, immunity to poison and disease etc. It was a lot easier to balance out than a guy who could walk through walls, become invisible and resistant to all normal damage.

S

Sunseeker

I'd give them a down-graded ghost. Some of the basics, incorporeal, limited flight/levitate, move through walls. That sort of stuff.

I wouldn't reinvent the wheel.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Just as a random suggestion, the 3E product "Ghostwalk" might have some inspiration for you, as it was based entirely on this idea.

I was going to make the same suggestion; this is what I used when I had a PC unexpectedly die in my campaign years ago. The mechanics probably won't be terribly useful (they weren't for me, even while running a 3e game) but there are a lot of great ideas in that book.

Remove ads