• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"PCs usually die of stupidity"

What particular sort of stupidity causes most PC deaths?

• Stuff the players should have known about. (Don't jump in lava, etc.)

Votes: 23 7.8%
  • Stuff the players [i]thought[/i] they knew about. (Meta-gamers stink!)

Votes: 23 7.8%
  • Good RP'ing. ("Fly, you fools!")

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Bad RP'ing. ("You have insulted my honor! I will triumph because I'm a PC!")

Votes: 21 7.1%
  • Inappropriate RP'ing. ("O noble ogre, let us free and we will sing of your kind -- ow, ow, ow!")

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Inappropriate not RP'ing. ("You want to talk to a dragon?! They're evil! Charge!!!")

Votes: 8 2.7%
  • Not knowing when to quit / surrender / retreat / rest. ("We can handle one more room...")

Votes: 186 62.8%
  • Intra-party conflict.

Votes: 10 3.4%
  • The fool played with an EVIL PSYCHO KILLER DM!!! Mua-ha-ha!!!

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • Your poll! That's what's stupid! (Brilliant addendum posted below...)

Votes: 10 3.4%

DonTadow

First Post
I voted for the party not knowning when the quit, but inapropriate rp'gn is included in there. I have a cleric in my party whom does great role playing but she's had several instances where it was just the wrong time. Case in point, the party has successfully infiltrated a Yuan-ti camp. The cleric refuses to go along with it which is cool the party told her just to be quiet. She lasted one day before she started going around blessing everything in the opposing god's name in front of the high level Yuan-ti cleric. The party ended up nearly dying from being entombed alive.

Abraxas

Explorer
In my experience PC deaths are rarely caused by player stupidity. Except for rare cases (or not so rare in the case of one particular player) they are usually caused by the following

1) Bad dice rolls (such as rolling a 1 on a massive damage save when your fort save mod is +14 or being on the recieving end of back to back to back critical hits).

2) Inadequate DM/Player communication resulting in a misunderstanding.

3) Player's trying to run heroes and having their PC try to save their comrades in a bad situation.

4) DMs underestimating the ECL when the situation completely favors their monsters/NPCs.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads