PC's with no fashion sense!

Oryan77

Adventurer
What kind of gear do your PC's wear that really makes them look goofy when you think about their outfit as a whole?

Our group just found Slippers of Spider Climb. Who wears them? The Ranger who's decked out in Studded Leather Armor. So technically she looks like Strider with some ballerina slippers on her feet rather than some grimey walking boots.

Then there's the Sorceress PC. I was just told she wears shorts. I never thought about it before, but you never see illustrations of D&D characters wearing shorts. I guess there's nothing wrong with it.

The nitpicking side of me would like to talk them into being more fashion conscious to fit into the look of medieval adventurers....but it doesn't really matter I guess.
 

log in or register to remove this ad

Sejs

First Post
Oryan77 said:
The nitpicking side of me would like to talk them into being more fashion conscious to fit into the look of medieval adventurers....but it doesn't really matter I guess.

Careful what you wish for - the proper 'look' for medival adventurers would generally tend toward men in tights with big, gaudy, sock-stuffed codpieces and floppy hats.

...dashing. Really.


Given the option, I'll take the sorceress in shorts anyday. :p
 

sniffles

First Post
Sejs said:
Careful what you wish for - the proper 'look' for medival adventurers would generally tend toward men in tights with big, gaudy, sock-stuffed codpieces and floppy hats.

...dashing. Really.


Given the option, I'll take the sorceress in shorts anyday. :p
Depends on which period of medieval fashion history you're talking about. You could have medieval adventurers wearing particolored hose, dagged sleeves, and shoes with really, really long pointed toes. And all the ladies could wear wimples. ;)

Even worse, your sorceress could wear baggy hip-hop shorts belted around her upper thighs and walk around holding them up by the crotch. :eek:

I wonder why the name slippers of spider climb automatically brings to mind a mental image of something resembling ballet shoes? I have that same image, but I don't know where I got it from. Couldn't they be boots of spider climb, or sandals of spider climb? Oh well, at least I don't have a mental image of fuzzy pink bunny slippers of spider climb. :lol:
 

reanjr

First Post
Oryan77 said:
The nitpicking side of me would like to talk them into being more fashion conscious to fit into the look of medieval adventurers....but it doesn't really matter I guess.

Have NPCs make fun of them.
 


Taraxia

First Post
sniffles said:
Depends on which period of medieval fashion history you're talking about. You could have medieval adventurers wearing particolored hose, dagged sleeves, and shoes with really, really long pointed toes. And all the ladies could wear wimples. ;)

Even worse, your sorceress could wear baggy hip-hop shorts belted around her upper thighs and walk around holding them up by the crotch. :eek:

I wonder why the name slippers of spider climb automatically brings to mind a mental image of something resembling ballet shoes? I have that same image, but I don't know where I got it from. Couldn't they be boots of spider climb, or sandals of spider climb? Oh well, at least I don't have a mental image of fuzzy pink bunny slippers of spider climb. :lol:

Because you expect them to be flexible and adhesive with thin, sensitive soles, the way real sticky footwear (like rock climbing shoes and such) are.

Big clodhopper boots that somehow let you climb walls *by magic* are certainly possible, but make less intuitive sense.
 

jeffh

Adventurer
Far from too little fashion sense, I'm really tired of seeing illustrations of female warrior-types with entirely too much. I'm talking about otherwise well-armoured characters who leave vital areas like the upper thighs (which contain vital arteries - one cut and you could bleed to death in minutes), midriff or even mid-chest exposed. What armour you wear isn't a fashion decision, it is something your life may depend on. Most women I know agree that there are times when you want to look hot (and I thank my lucky stars for it), but going into battle is not one of them.
 

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
Oryan77 said:
Our group just found Slippers of Spider Climb. Who wears them? The Ranger who's decked out in Studded Leather Armor. So technically she looks like Strider with some ballerina slippers on her feet rather than some grimey walking boots.
This assumption has bothered me for years, ever since I looted the original set from The Lost Caverns Of Tsojcanth (module S4).

The word "slipper" just means a low shoe that has no laces. It's called that because it is easily slipped on the foot. This covers a hundred kinds of footwear, from stealthy cloth shoes (ninja style) to modern rock-climbing slippers. You might hear the word and think only of ballerina shoes, but that's an issue with your imagination, not with the magic item.
 

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
What armour you wear isn't a fashion decision, it is something your life may depend on.

You've got that ALMOST right.

Judging by what I've seen in the great armories of Europe, what armour you wear isn't PRIMARILY a fashion decision, it is something your life may depend on.

Once the vitals are covered, though, there are all kinds of embellishments that show up on armor...some of which most assuredly impair the ability of the armor to protect its occupant.
 

Sejs

First Post
jeffh said:
Far from too little fashion sense, I'm really tired of seeing illustrations of female warrior-types with entirely too much. I'm talking about otherwise well-armoured characters who leave vital areas like the upper thighs (which contain vital arteries - one cut and you could bleed to death in minutes), midriff or even mid-chest exposed. What armour you wear isn't a fashion decision, it is something your life may depend on. Most women I know agree that there are times when you want to look hot (and I thank my lucky stars for it), but going into battle is not one of them.

Fun aside, this is a long-standing gripe of mine as well. Cheesecake armor. Yeah, I can understand the whole Frank Frazetta/warrior babes of the apocalypse schtick, but honestly? I've got way more respect for a picture of a female warrior type that's dressed appropriately for a fight than I do for a picture of one that's all fashion-mail and big weapons.

That's actually one of the reasons I'm quite fond of the art for Lidda as she's been presented. She's dressed appropriately for her job.
 

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases

Top