• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

PDF Lovers: Where else do you shop?

jmucchiello said:
I'll plug YourGamesNow.com even if they are currently a competing storefront. It is the only place to find some PDF heavyweights: Phil Reed's Ronin Arts being the big one.
I use yourgamesnow whenever possible. If it's not something they carry I try e23, and hen failing everything else, I go to drivethrurpg. I've always had good experiences with PDFs from all three, but I like the mission behind yourgamesnow more.

I love being able to use the search feature during play. It really speeds any necessary rule look-ups. My only wish is that more publishers would sell print/PDF bundles.

Which reminds me. I buy Shadowrun/Battletech exclusively at Battlecorps. They sell the PDFs and print products as a bundle, allowing you to preorder a print product, and read the PDF while you're waiting. Very snazzy.

roguerouge

First Post
Voadam said:
Paizo, excellent customer service when there was a problem.

I spend about 1/4 to 1/2 of my pdf budget there now with the rest at rpgnow.

E23 is very tempting, but I'm more into the stuff at rpgnow and paizo.

Funny. For my pdfs, I've had great service from Paizo. For getting back issues of the magazines, however, I'm at 15 business days and counting. YMMV.

Last edited:

The Mad Kaiser

First Post
Voadam said:
By the way, I got good use out of your plant book, the flying demon plant fit into a high level game well.

Thanks for the compliment! The demon-tree was a natural after making the celestial tree.

That book was sort of an experiment, to see if I had the chops for a color, art-heavy book. I still think the "Blue Thistle Blighted" template was the best thing I came up with, sort of a "lycanthropy" for plants. Makes players think twice about bad-mouthing myconids!

The Mad Kaiser

First Post
Scurvy_Platypus said:
One thing that's kinda spiffy but really underused, is the ability to update the material. Not a lot of people seem to bother with updating their pdfs, and instead people have to poke around on forums gathering together scraps, and so forth.

What do you think would encourage publishers to update their PDFs?

Voadam

Legend
The Mad Kaiser said:
What do you think would encourage publishers to update their PDFs?

Vocal appreciation and repeat business.

The original Book of Templates by Silverthorne Games was copy protected so you could not copy and paste. After complaints they updated the pdfs to allow copying and pasting and it is now not only great content but useful functionality and I don't hesitate to recommend it to others and I have been happy with the other pdfs from Silverthorne that I've gotten. If they hadn't updated it I don't think I would have gotten another one from them.

There are too many good pdf options to keep buying crappy ones from publishers that don't provide what you want.

For many pdfs the publisher is also the author and they want to correct simple mistakes if they make them. When I reviewed Joe's Book of Enchantment I e-mailed the author with some questions after I read it but before I wrote the review. One thing I pointed out was a prestige class that didn't have a HD listed for it. Joe immediately revised the pdf to correct the omission.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads