Peaks and Valleys vs Consistent TV Shows

Zardnaar

Legend
What do you prefer. A TV show that can be great but has a bit of crud or one that is perhaps good right through but the best of it may not be quite as good as the other shows best efforts?

Ideally you get a show that's good to great right through but there's very few of those eg The Wire, Sopranos, Justified.

I prefer consistent myself. A few examples.

Star Trek. DS9 over TNG

Stargate. Atlantis over SG1.

Star Wars. Rebels over Clone Wars.

Game of Thrones comes to mind. Season 3&4 was the peak but yeah last couple of seasons not great. A lot of shows follow a similar pattern eg Dexter, Sons of Anarchy.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Definitely prefer peak. A few great episodes more than justify watching a show, to my mind. I remember the shows that have one stellar season much more fondly than the ones that are good, not great throughout their run.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Consistent. Many peak shows do so very early and then live on like a zombie for way too long.

What do you prefer. A TV show that can be great but has a bit of crud or one that is perhaps good right through but the best of it may not be quite as good as the other shows best efforts?

Ideally you get a show that's good to great right through but there's very few of those eg The Wire, Sopranos, Justified.

I prefer consistent myself. A few examples.

Star Trek. DS9 over TNG

Stargate. Atlantis over SG1.

Star Wars. Rebels over Clone Wars.

Game of Thrones comes to mind. Season 3&4 was the peak but yeah last couple of seasons not great. A lot of shows follow a similar pattern eg Dexter, Sons of Anarchy.
DS9 and Rebels are only consistent in being inferior.

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™

Got nothing to say about the Star Wars cartoons but dem's fightin' words about DS9.

I can understand not preferring DS9's more contiguous and darker storylines to TNG's weekly romps. But it absolutely is the more consistent show. No episodes of DS9 can get as bad as the TNG bad episodes. Sub Rosa comes to mind. Plus, way less appearances by Lxwana Troi.

payn

Angry Lebron James GIF by Bleacher Report

payn

Well I disagree about the first part, and DS9 wasn't a clone of B5, though that was commonly held for a long time. But yeah, I'll take seasons 1-4 of Babylon 5 over any Star Trek show. Entil'Zha.
Agreed, DS9 was far from a B5 clone. B5 does deserve a lot of credit for pushing DS9 into a more serial direction though.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases