• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

People are strange...

BobProbst

First Post
Germaine:

http://www.newscientist.com/blog/technology/2007/11/dont-flame-me-bro.html

FTFA:

"Recently there has been a sharp increase in the amount of abusive language on the New Scientist website. No, it's not because our writers have become degenerates, it's because we rolled out a new commenting facility on all articles, giving people the chance to share their thoughts and opinions across the site.

I am particularly conscious of this trend because, as the moderator, I keep an eye on all comments and have to remove any that break our House Rules. This means I read a lot of comments (826 last week) and while most of them are perfectly polite, there's a stubborn minority that are rude, intentionally provocative, or just plain abusive. It seems people will say things online that they would never say face-to-face."

Grimhelm

First Post
I think the anger and destructive tendencies of our fellow men is indicative of very tangible societal breakdowns. I do not think that it defines the whole, but I think the problems are only going to grow worse if certain aspects of our "civil"-ization are not addressed.

BobProbst

First Post
T. I was trying to think of this a few weeks back and just ran across another story about it: http://stupidfilter.org/main/index.php?n=Main.HomePage

"The solution we're creating is simple: an open-source filter software that can detect rampant stupidity in written English. This will be accomplished with weighted Bayesian or similar analysis and some rules-based processing, similar to spam detection engines. The primary challenge inherent in our task is that stupidity is not a binary distinction, but rather a matter of degree. To this end, we're collecting a ranked corpus of stupid text, gleaned from user comments on public websites and ranked on a five-point scale."

Remove ads