D&D 5E Pew Pew magic......AHHHHHHH! Make martials all day swingers and casters limited per day slingers.

ForeverSlayer

Banned
Banned
I just want to say first off that I can't stand Pew Pew magic. I don't think there should be any at will spells except maybe read magic. I would like to see casters go back to being completely limited in their spells per day. I think the realm of at will and no limited attacks per day, or even per encounter, should fall solely on the martials.

What made playing casters interesting and challenging was the fact that you had to use judgement when deciding which spells to use and which ones to save. I feel like that's been lost ever since the addition of Pew Pew magic.

Last edited:

The Human Target

Adventurer
Thus is revelatory, I've never heard you express such an opinion before.

We need to come up with a silly derisive term for Vancian magic.

Fire and Forget is too nice.

How about..... hmmmmmm.... Two Pump Chump magic?

The Human Target

Adventurer
Like, I know you're never going to change your mind or be anything but dismissive of other opinions/ideas.

But this is so funny to me.

4e added in "playing casters interesting and challenging was the fact that you had to use judgement when deciding which spells to use and which ones to save" to every single class.

Everyone has dailies to manage. Everyone has encounters to manage.

They added in more tactical strategy problem solving and resource management.

That should theoretically make you like them all if that's what floats your boat.

What it really seems you don't like is changes to the core structure of parts of the game, which is fine.

Raith5

Adventurer
Like, I know you're never going to change your mind or be anything but dismissive of other opinions/ideas.

But this is so funny to me.

4e added in "playing casters interesting and challenging was the fact that you had to use judgement when deciding which spells to use and which ones to save" to every single class.

Everyone has dailies to manage. Everyone has encounters to manage.

They added in more tactical strategy problem solving and resource management.

That should theoretically make you like them all if that's what floats your boat.

What it really seems you don't like is changes to the core structure of parts of the game, which is fine.

Agree. Strategic management is too much fun to leave to just casters. I also like the tactical aspect of 4th ed - were the coordination and timing of attacks from all classes was so crucial.

That said, it would be good to have a system where every class could choose the pacing of their powers. I certainly dont think that players who dont like casters with at wills should be forced to play them them. But I also think martials should have the option of having a few large daily attacks.

pemerton

Legend
At least when I played AD&D, an important goal for MU players was to get wands of pew-pew (magic missiles, lightning bolt, fireball, whatever was going). This was so that, as well as having limited-used spells which required "judgement when deciding which spells to use and which ones to save" they had some reliable pew-pew that was better than their darts.

I don't remember anyone complaining that this made AD&D into a video game.

All 4e does it cut out the need to find the loot; you cut straight to the sort of play that was generally considered the "sweet spot" of AD&D play.

Maybe in [MENTION=91812]ForeverSlayer[/MENTION]'s AD&D games the mages never found wands of pew-pew; perhaps those pages of the DMG, and Gygax's discussion in his DMG of why clever MUs will find and use wands of pew-pew, had been torn out in a fit of anti-video-game rage.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Maybe in [MENTION=91812]ForeverSlayer[/MENTION]'s AD&D games the mages never found wands of pew-pew; perhaps those pages of the DMG, and Gygax's discussion in his DMG of why clever MUs will find and use wands of pew-pew, had been torn out in a fit of anti-video-game rage.
I know in my 1e-style games when they do find wands of pew-pew they still tend not to use them often - they rarely have all their charges left (the previous owner(s) used them too) and aren't always rechargeable; in effect making them a longer-term limited resource. Add to that wands are often a little fragile and breaking one runs the risk of releasing a bunch of charges all at once (the old "retributive strike" idea only by accident), meaning you probably don't want to be using one in situations where you might get blasted yourself... :)

Lanefan

ForeverSlayer

Banned
Banned
I know in my 1e-style games when they do find wands of pew-pew they still tend not to use them often - they rarely have all their charges left (the previous owner(s) used them too) and aren't always rechargeable; in effect making them a longer-term limited resource. Add to that wands are often a little fragile and breaking one runs the risk of releasing a bunch of charges all at once (the old "retributive strike" idea only by accident), meaning you probably don't want to be using one in situations where you might get blasted yourself... :)

Lanefan

Agreed.

Back then, we would only find wands that had just a few charges so you held on to them as a last resort. I never really enjoyed using wands anyway.

ForeverSlayer

Banned
Banned
I think martials need to completely stay away from limited per X abilities. I would rather see them having abilities that are always available, but not as explosive as a daily would be.

Remove ads