Pathfinder 2E PF2 house-rules / variant rules

Philip Benz

A Dragontooth Grognard
In my homebrew campaign, the spellcasters are having a blast.

We have a fighter, a rogue, a wizard, a druid and a cleric. So we have three traditions covered. When they need to buff someone, we have Stoneskin, Heroism, Haste, Fly and a few others. They've gotten a lot of mileage out of Invisibility, and oddly enough Negate Aroma, to mask their scents from critters that use scent. Lots of sneaking around and avoiding sentries while they get up close and personal with their adversaries.

Also, since I very rarely use adversaries more than 2 levels above theirs, and they often face lower-level adversaries in greater numbers, they have gotten a lot of mileage out of a variety of blasting spells, from the old classics like fireball, lightning bolt and chain lightning, to cool spells like disinitegrate and spirit blast. Since they've been facing more and more fiends, they have even gotten good use from Banishment (it feels so cool when they can remove an adversary from the picture with a single spell). They also frequently use cantrips and lower-level spells like hydraulic push, if only to conserve on their higher-level spells, since they tend to face multiple fights in a given adventuring day.

Now, if they were constantly facing level+3 or +4 enemies, I'm sure their experience would be different. This all goes to show that adventure design plays a huge role in how players perceive the game system. You don't have to fall back on constant slows and hideous laughters if you're facing foes that are vulnerable to a wider swath of magic spells.

Staffan

Legend
Now, if they were constantly facing level+3 or +4 enemies, I'm sure their experience would be different. This all goes to show that adventure design plays a huge role in how players perceive the game system. You don't have to fall back on constant slows and hideous laughters if you're facing foes that are vulnerable to a wider swath of magic spells.
Right. My list of "grievances" above are primarily boss-related. When fighting mooks, AOE blasts and cackling madly are where it's at.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I got depressed so I came back. If I get depressed here again, I go away again. Also why do all pathfinder 2e threads derail to be about mechanic debates?
Mechanics are very important to how a game plays. Especially now since there are many editions and history with fantasy TTRPGs. I find them to matter more in PF2 than any previous experience. Also, this is a house rules discussion, mechanics will be prominent which is good because folks want to know how their desired changes will impact the system.
Anyway, I can give my take on that as someone who has run my party to level 6 without them having had any trouble in level 5 really.

I'm going to assume your wizard and druid calculated DCs correctly, so I instead ask what saves their spells targeted. Second thing I ask is what was druid's charisma modifier. (I have fighter with bard dedication in party who intimidates enemies consistently) Third, did you go to laboratory while you were level 5?

Sorry if it sounds like I'm asking for homework, but everytime someone convinces me with evidence on math being harsh, I end up noticing its not actually that bad when checking up numbers.

(AV has heavy use of low and moderate solo enemies since tiny dungeon rooms for most parts, with couple severe sprinkled in. So basically AV is heavy on minibosses.)
I assure you, we used a VTT all numbers were public. Spells and skills regularly had 10-20% chance of success against the target regardless of save. After much discussion here and elsewhere, I believe the answer is fighting boss level solos on a regular basis that has lead to this impression. A better balance of encounters would likely improve the experience. I still think its a little tight for my taste, so just chewing the fat about house rules here with my fellow EN worlders.

dave2008

Legend
I got depressed so I came back. If I get depressed here again, I go away again. Also why do all pathfinder 2e threads derail to be about mechanic debates?
That is not a PF2 issue. Most D&D and D&D adjacent threads go this way.

Bigger question: why does discussion and debate depress you? There is not one way to play the game and people will have different experiences. Embrace that, don't run from it. At least that is my 2 cents.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
...Did Capp Zapn return and immediately start with "And nobody has any genuinely criticism of my criticism besides 'do not touch my system'"? Seriously?

Why does anyone even bother debating anymore if that is their take away :'D

(that is the point where I stopped reading thread again and you'll probably see me next time few months later :p )
Why are you so fixated on Capn? There are a lot of other voices here. In the spirit of the thread, why not share your favorite house-rule?

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Also why do all pathfinder 2e threads derail to be about mechanic debates?
Id say all the threads here are about mechanics. "RAW vs RAI" "New healing paradigm" "house rules" etc..

One of the reasons I'm so stubborn about making PF2 work for me, is how much I love Paizo adventures. I think if you start a thread about setting and or adventures you can get some different conversation going.

MaskedGuy

Explorer
Id say all the threads here are about mechanics. "RAW vs RAI" "New healing paradigm" "house rules" etc..

One of the reasons I'm so stubborn about making PF2 work for me, is how much I love Paizo adventures. I think if you start a thread about setting and or adventures you can get some different conversation going.
Never seen 2e lore conversation live long though. Could try that I suppose

Thomas Shey

Legend
Could be. I remember actively looking for single-target damage spells with saves and not finding any other than the Uncommon sudden bolt (from The Show Must Go On/Extinction Curse 1), but I was looking specifically at the Primal list at the time, and I was likely limiting myself to level 4-5 or below.

Yeah, I've been looking at the Primal list since I may be playing a druid down the line, and as I recall most of theirs are nuke-the-neighborhood spells.

It's certainly not a strength of the Primal list. Primal's buffs tend to be battle forms, which are generally mostly useful for elevating a bad warrior to a good warrior, but won't turn a good warrior into a better one. There are some others who add capabilities (e.g. fly), but you don't get things like heroism.

Well, far as I can tell, the buffs on the Primal list are really intended for yourself, unlike the ones on the Occult list (which overlap with the Arcane one a fair bit in that area I noticed). I think actually Primal has the worst list of buffs for others of the four.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases