Pathfinder 2E PF2e House Rules:

Mycroft

Banned
Banned
That is the general idea (though I haven't played d20 Star Wars and I don't remember the 3.5e version).

Vitality point are just like hit points, but you also have Wound points, which are equal to your Con score.
Damage starts applying to your Wound points when you are out of Vitality points, or take a critical hit.

zztong

Explorer
Vitality point are just like hit points, but you also have Wound points, which are equal to your Con score.
Damage starts applying to your Wound points when you are out of Vitality points, or take a critical hit.

Oh how interesting. I associated the HP/CON separation with the old Dragon Quest game by SPI (later TSR). You took damage on Fatigue (fast to recover) and then on Stamina (real health).

That system also had critical hits go directly to Stamina skipping Fatigue, but that won't work with PF2 (outside of the first couple of levels). The relationship between damage and CON isn't prime for that in PF2.

Mycroft

Banned
Banned
Oh how interesting. I associated the HP/CON separation with the old Dragon Quest game by SPI (later TSR). You took damage on Fatigue (fast to recover) and then on Stamina (real health).

Wow, I had no idea that was where it started (Starfinder also uses Stamina), thanks for that.

dave2008

Legend

OK very similar except we base ours on size instead of Con.

dave2008

Legend
That system also had critical hits go directly to Stamina skipping Fatigue, but that won't work with PF2 (outside of the first couple of levels). The relationship between damage and CON isn't prime for that in PF2.

Yes, that is why I made critical damage go to BHP (stamina) except it only does 1 weapon damage.

Mycroft

Banned
Banned
OK very similar except we base ours on size instead of Con.

Yeah, I like the size-based hit points. I also like the extra hit points at 1st level from race in PF2; I was thinking of a 5th Ed variant where you start off with extra hit points at 1st level based on size (Small: 6, Medium: 8) or race.

dave2008

Legend
Yeah, I like the size-based hit points. I also like the extra hit points at 1st level from race in PF2; I was thinking of a 5th Ed variant where you start off with extra hit points at 1st level based on size (Small: 6, Medium: 8) or race.

That is almost exactly what we do in 5e, except it is:

Tiny: 1d4 (2 avg) + Str mod
Small: 1d6 (3 avg) + Str mod
Medium: 1d8 ( 4 avg) + Str mod
Large: 2d8 (9 avg) + Str mod
Huge: 2d12 (13 avg) + Str mod
Gargantuan: 2d20+ (21 avg) + Str mod

Mycroft

Banned
Banned
That is almost exactly what we do in 5e, except it is:

Tiny: 1d4 (2 avg) + Str mod
Small: 1d6 (3 avg) + Str mod
Medium: 1d8 ( 4 avg) + Str mod
Large: 2d8 (9 avg) + Str mod
Huge: 2d12 (13 avg) + Str mod
Gargantuan: 2d20+ (21 avg) + Str mod

I really like the use of Str mod. Str needs a bit of help in 5th Ed, IME, we have made adjustments for that.

Why do you start using 2 dice at Large+, instead of sticking with 1d10, 1d12, 1d20? Or just give them max for size?

Tiny: 4
Small: 6
Medium: 8
Large: 10
...etc

dave2008

Legend
I really like the use of Str mod. Str needs a bit of help in 5th Ed, IME, we have made adjustments for that.

Why do you start using 2 dice at Large+, instead of sticking with 1d10, 1d12, 1d20?
Large creatures are basically 2x the size and 8x the mass of a Medium creature. I wanted to reflect that so the BHP of a Large creature are a little over 2x those of a Medium creature. Similarly, a Gargantuan creature is basically 2x the size and 8x the mass of a Large creature, so it is a little over 2x the BHP of a Large creature.

Or just give them max for size?

Tiny: 4
Small: 6
Medium: 8
Large: 10
...etc
Not all Medium creatures are the same size so we like the variability. I would let players choose a a number within the range based on a concept, but generally we roll the size and when coupled with the Str score it tells us something about the Character. For example: If I rolled a 6 (above average) for size but only 10 for Strength (average), I know my character is a little portly ;)

Remove ads