PH3 - Dual Classing

Markn

First Post
According to the editorial calendar at WotC, April 6th will show a playtest from the PH3 and it has to do with the Dual Classing.

Enjoy!

Oh yeah - Begin speculation now! :D

DracoSuave

First Post
Well... Dual Classing was something from 1st and 2nd D&D where a human player could switch classes permanently, and were cut off from their old class (mostly) until they could 'catch up'.

Ironicly, Dual Classing could allow someone with redonkulous stats to have a class from all four (five with Psionics) class groups, and was necessary in order to get past 20th level in wizard in Dark Sun.

Yet, that's kindasorta how multiclassing worked in 3rd edition, but without the crazy complications.

So.... it's hard to say... because if they did the old-school Dual Classing, it'd work out to be Paragon Multiclass Pathing...

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
Very interesting. As someone who isn't a big fan of the multiclass rules (a fan in theory, but I don't like how they're implemented) I look forward to this. I wonder if this idea comes from fan requests or was planned all along?

--Steve

Pyrex

First Post
If I had to guess, I'd say that the "Dual Classing" in PH3 is going to look more like 3.5's Gestalt option rather than the wonky 2E dual-class.

MrMyth

First Post
The two possibilities that come to my mind:

1) Alternate Multiclassing Method

I recall it being mentioned that they originally planned two different ways to have multiclassed characters. The Multiclass Feats + Paragon Multiclassing could be one method... and this could be something else. Possibly something more viable at low levels to represent being split between two classes.

2) Class Transition Method

I have seen (occasionally) a few complaints that someone can't have their character completely change during a game. A cleric can't abandon his deity and just become a fighter, or so forth. At least, not without being completely crippled. While this is one of the easiest areas in the world for a DM to simply house rule them into a new class, many DMs do look to the core rules for guidance.

This could be such a method, in which a character starts to pick up traits from another class, and eventually transitions out of his original class entirely. Sort of an "super-retraining" situation.

What it will actually be, and how well it will work... well, definitely something I'm eager to see. And something I'm glad to see playtested, as I'm certain it will be complex enough to benefit from some significant analysis.

WalterKovacs

First Post
Multiclassing from 2e, at least the one campaign I was involved in, was similar to the gesault in terms of levelling in both classes at once, so that does seem what they might be referring to in terms of dual classing. Should be interesting how they translate something like that into 4e ...

Of course, considering that backgrounds are effectively optional rules introduced in PH2, it's possible that this is another optional rule, and thus very similar to gesalt in terms of getting everything of each class, but don't stack them (i.e. take better of hit points, number of skills received, etc) and then choose from the combined skill list. If it was meant as a 'core' rule however, it would need to be balanced against normal classes.

Mengu

First Post
I'm guessing this is how they are going to say: Look, here is 8 more classes, and we know you are now playing 20th level characters and don't want to restart or abandon your character, and you've already picked a multiclass, so here is how you use these new classes with dual classing.

Moon-Lancer

First Post
its stuff like this that turns me off to 4e. it feels like they sabotage parts of the first player handbook to sell player handbook2+3.

I really wanted the 3 core books to feel complete

Remove ads