D&D 5E Phandelver & Below's Full Description

On Amazon you can read the full back cover text of September's Phandelver and Below: The Shattered Obelisk. The description includes hint at a villainous cult to a malevolent entity, a bestiary of over 20 new creatures, a magic appendix, and a double-sided poster map. The hardcover comes out on September 19th, with Beadle & Grimm's deluxe edition following in October. Uncover a new threat to...

81o3h3yBNUL.jpg

On Amazon you can read the full back cover text of September's Phandelver and Below: The Shattered Obelisk. The description includes hint at a villainous cult to a malevolent entity, a bestiary of over 20 new creatures, a magic appendix, and a double-sided poster map. The hardcover comes out on September 19th, with Beadle & Grimm's deluxe edition following in October.

Uncover a new threat to Phandalin in this timeless dungeoneering adventure for the world’s greatest roleplaying game.

Phandelver and Below: The Shattered Obelisk is a high-fantasy adventure that begins in the beloved town of Phandalin as it faces unimaginable danger. Whether the heroes are newcomers to Phandalin or are returning after the acclaimed Dungeons & Dragons adventure Lost Mine of Phandelver, they discover hints of a threat lurking below the town. The heroes soon learn that the cult of a malevolent entity has set its sights on transforming Phandalin into the capital of its evil empire. To save the town from oblivion, the heroes must uncover a nefarious plot and confront the otherworldly cultists directly.
  • Offers new Dungeon Masters and players the opportunity to dive into their first full-fledged Dungeons & Dragons adventure
  • Retains the beloved Lost Mine of Phandelver quests that unfold into a brand-new adventure with classic D&D themes and a tinge of horror
  • Presents a bestiary with approximately two-dozen new creatures that showcase psionic magic, body horror, and more.
  • Provides a magic appendix that includes new consumable metamagic items, Netherese amulets, and duergar magic
  • Includes a double-sided poster map with the Phandalin region on one side and the town of Phandalin plus key encounters in the adventure on the other

I don't think I've ever read any of the older Gary Gygax adventures. When I got into 2e way back in the 90s all that was available at my book store was rule books and the FR campaign box set. The box set had an adventure in it but my young mind couldn't grasp it. It didn't have a lot of read aloud text from what I remember and a lot of the info was buried in the DM text. Thinking back on that I'd say adventures have come a long way on that front.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
It seems quite solid. My main takeaway was thr Gary Gygax had a very different set of questions when setting up NPCs and locations than I do (massive details on the specific skillets of all the soldiers at the tower in town, for example).
The write-ups of T1 and L1 was responsible for much of the murderhobo ethos, IMO.

"If they didn't want us to steal the 40 silver pieces buried in the farmer's barn, why did they put it in the module?"

We routinely had games that consisted of all-thief groups robbing each town (and maybe the rulers) before trying to escape with their lives and liberty.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The write-ups of T1 and L1 was responsible for much of the murderhobo ethos, IMO.

"If they didn't want us to steal the 40 silver pieces buried in the farmer's barn, why did they put it in the module?"

We routinely had games that consisted of all-thief groups robbing each town (and maybe the rulers) before trying to escape with their lives and liberty.
It's how he would have wanted it.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I don't think I've ever read any of the older Gary Gygax adventures. When I got into 2e way back in the 90s all that was available at my book store was rule books and the FR campaign box set. The box set had an adventure in it but my young mind couldn't grasp it. It didn't have a lot of read aloud text from what I remember and a lot of the info was buried in the DM text. Thinking back on that I'd say adventures have come a long way on that front.
In a lot of ways, Gygax is more "modern" Tham the 2E stuff I've flipped through, at least in terms of dungeon design.

Remove ads

Remove ads