D&D 5E Phandelver starting to show up in the wild. NewbieDM looks to be the first!

I really want the party to do the Redbrand hideout. Shattered Obelisk has them doing this around level 2. My party just leveled up to 4th level. I'm hoping they aren't too high of a level for this dungeon. That should tie up LoMP and move them into the main adventure when it drops.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I really want the party to do the Redbrand hideout. Shattered Obelisk has them doing this around level 2. My party just leveled up to 4th level. I'm hoping they aren't too high of a level for this dungeon. That should tie up LoMP and move them into the main adventure when it drops.
Replacing the ''thug'' statblock of the original adventure with ''bandit CR 1/2'' and ''bandit captain CR 2'' would be fair to give them a little challenge without too much hassle.

You could even replace Glasstaff with either a GOO Warlock (MTF), a Swarm of Cranium Rats (MTF) or a Brain-in-a-Jar (VGTR) to foreshadow the gooey aberration stuff coming up.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Maybe not hand holding created better GMs.
Yes and that's one of the reasons B2 is a great module.

The issues with N1 are different. It is tough for novice players, being an investigation and the final part is very hard for 1st level characters.

Reynard

Legend
Somehow 'sink or swim' isn't really the approach we take with most things we try to teach.

Can some learn to swim by being tossed in the water and struggling to not drown, sure. Is it a good way to learn it, not at all.
That is a terrible analogy. presumably, the GM still has the books to consult, and possible fellow gamers. It isn't like they were handed a module and shoved in front of a group. The "better GM" part is exploring it, reading the rule books, analyzing what went right and wrong during play. No one is throwing anyone in the pool, and it is just plain ridiculous to take that stance.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
They've dropped hints at a Mindflayer Empire Revival as a plot for yeeeeaaaars, since the PHB & DMG, but also pretty heavily in Volo's and in bits and bobs as side bits to various Adventures when Mindflayers show up. Nice to see this finally get a real go.

Remove ads