Phantom Chasm

klofft

Explorer
Couple questions about the power.

1) An enemy that enters the zone falls prone. If an enemy in the zone already moves to another square in the zone, are they "entering" the zone again? Or can they run around freely in the zone once they stand up?

2) Can a flying creature fly over the zone without effect? It's an unclear intersection of rules (which suggests he's still fall prone) and fluff (which suggests he'd be fine)?

Thanks in advance.

the Jester

Legend

1) An enemy that enters the zone falls prone. If an enemy in the zone already moves to another square in the zone, are they "entering" the zone again? Or can they run around freely in the zone once they stand up?

Once he is in the zone, he is in the zone unless he exits it. "Enters the zone" means exactly that- he has to move from outside the zone to inside the zone for the effect to trigger.

2) Can a flying creature fly over the zone without effect? It's an unclear intersection of rules (which suggests he's still fall prone) and fluff (which suggests he'd be fine)?

You are better off ignoring fluff when adjudicating rules.

Some powers or effects specify "nonflying enemy" or what have you; this one does not, so it affects any enemy that enters the zone (that isn't immune to the effect for one reason or another).

treex

First Post
It's an illusion. You control the rules of physics at that point. Entering the zone would be part of "your territory". Fluff wise you can say you had tentacles burst out from the ground to pull enemies to the ground, rocks can rain from the sky like hail, the world turns upside down and inside out, flying scarabs erupt forth to swarm your enemies, or dogs, or dogs that bark and shoot flying scarabs out of their mouth.

DracoSuave

First Post

No, you're not entering the zone, because you're already in the zone. If you leave it and then return, however, you fall prone again.

Why would fluff suggest he's fine? He's entering a zone of 'OH CRAP I AM FALLING AND I CAN'T STOP MYSELF AWWW!' He suddenly finds his wings stop working while facing a wizard. 'A wizard did it' isn't exactly a handwave in situations where a wizard actually did it.

Riastlin

First Post
The only other thing I would add to the second question is that I would consider the burst 1 to be three dimensional (including 1 square up -- so ten feet high in total). This means that a flying creature could fly above the zone, so long as it is not flying through the zone.

On Puget Sound

First Post
The only other thing I would add to the second question is that I would consider the burst 1 to be three dimensional (including 1 square up -- so ten feet high in total). This means that a flying creature could fly above the zone, so long as it is not flying through the zone.

Welcome to Air Dragon. We've reached our cruising altitude of 12,000 feet and will be HOLY CRAP WE'RE FALLING!

Yes, a burst 1 only goes 1 square up, thankfully.

Riastlin

First Post
Is this rule explicit anywhere? I've never found such.

More of an applied logic thing. The RAW don't really address 3D all that well, but a burst extends X squares in either direction from the origin square. So. if you center it on the "ground" square, then it would go one square up (i.e. 10 feet high at its peak) and in theory one square down if it has line of effect. Basically think of bursts as creating cubes of energy/force/destruction, whatever. Most of the time it won't come into play all that much but occasionally when you have fliers or elevated terrain it will.

Edit to add: The alternative is to either have the burst have 0 height (which seems odd for a burst) or an infinitely high burst. Neither of which really makes sense in my opinion.

Remove ads