• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Phil Pfister: Highest Strength Score in the World

pogre said:

Hey pogre! :)

pogre said:
Phil has a standing offer to anyone - put up the money for an Olympic style drug test and $100,000.00. If he tests positive he pays you $100K, if not you lose $100K.

I really do think Pfister did the right way.

Personally I think its fantastic news if its true. I think such a feat would increase the measure of the achievement tenfold.

However, I have been under the impression, strongman competition (like professional bodybuilding) is totally drug riddled, creating in effect, a level playing field, since everyones on them.

As for Phil's sincerity I'm optimistic.

Although it does well to remember previous charlatans like Carl Lewis were also vociferously anti-drugs. ;)

Cedric

First Post
paradox42 said:
Highest living CHA is a tough one, very tough. Force of personality rarely comes across over TV and other media, and that's what CHA is really supposed to be about- so I'd consider any suggestion I made to be invalid unless I compared people I'd actually met (or been close enough to meet) in real life. And I really haven't met many famous people.

Historically, though, for high CHA it's tough to argue against Hitler. He may have been a maniacally evil twit, but he was undeniably an astoundingly charismatic maniacally evil twit. He's often cited in game publications as an example of high CHA, in fact.

You know...this one may sound strange to some people. But I'm thinking Muhammad Ali. The man had serious, serious Charisma. Sure, he's lost most of it due to Parkinson's disease. But during his prime, he was quite possibly the most famous man in the world. And he defeated more than one opponent by shear force of personality. They'd lost before they stepped in the ring with him.

Just a thought...

Ambrus

Explorer
I'm surprised no one mentioned Jackie Chan as a paragon of high Dexterity. Take a look at some of his earlier movies; he's blindingly fast and incredibly nimble. His stunts sometimes seem to defy common sense.

For high Charisma I'd point to a handful of actors who consistently seem to communicate gravitas regardless of what they're saying or what role they're playing. Patrick Stewart, Morgan Freeman, Sir Ian McKellen, ect. I also second Hitler as a strong Charisma paragon.

Lonely Tylenol

First Post
pogre said:
Hi UK,

Phil has a standing offer to anyone - put up the money for an Olympic style drug test and $100,000.00. If he tests positive he pays you $100K, if not you lose $100K.

I really do think Pfister did the right way.
What would the likelihood be that someone would take him up on this, based on the chance that they could be wrong?

What would the likelihood be if he asked for a $50 wager?

I'm not going to gamble $100K on anything unless I've got written guarantees that I can't lose from entities that can insure my stake. And I think most other sane people have similar dispositions. So the $100K gamble sounds more to me like a "nobody will ever take me up on this" publicity stunt. He knows that nobody's ever going to bite, so he can say, "no, I'm not on drugs, and if you don't believe me put down your $100K."

Not that I'm trying to claim anything either way. It's just that the existance of a wager nobody's ever going to call is hardly proof that he's clean.

Lonely Tylenol

First Post
Lidgar said:
Pure CHA? Steve Jobs, CEO of Apple.
You're kidding right? He's one of the most annoying people I've ever seen. He's got a good sense for marketing, but his Cha has got to be in the single digits. Of course, its still better than his arch-nemesis Gates. That guy's got the personality of an autistic lizard.

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
Dr. Awkward said:
You're kidding right? He's one of the most annoying people I've ever seen. He's got a good sense for marketing, but his Cha has got to be in the single digits. Of course, its still better than his arch-nemesis Gates. That guy's got the personality of an autistic lizard.

From what I have read of him, he is probably not great at marketing (he just says things like "this is the coolest thing ever" and expects you to believe him at face value), but is great at getting people to believe in a vision and making it reality. Charisma is not necessarly how well you are liked - at least not in my mind - but more of a force of personality, an ability to communicate and lead effectively.

Storm Raven

First Post
Upper_Krust said:
Although it does well to remember previous charlatans like Carl Lewis were also vociferously anti-drugs. ;)

And his crime amounts to taking over-the-counter decongestants. I'm not seeing the big assistance this supposedly gave him.

Conaill

First Post
Agent Oracle said:
He's a firefighter?

How much EXP do you suppose a Fire is worth?
Depends on how many fire victims you kill, I suppose...

What? Don't look at me that way... I didn't design this game! :D

Remove ads