Picard Season 3

Mallus

Legend
Let me try and sum up my reaction to Picard season in a sentence or two.

Terry Matalas and his crew took the least interesting premise and proceeded to knock it out of the park. Possibly over the state line.

Bring on Legacy! (as a series, not as movies)

I enjoyed this season, and the finale. It is satisfying to think the characters are still around, the D is restored for museeum purposes.
I didn't mind Data's now-not-so-final death in Season 1, at least we got some time to dwell on the moment. But I prefer him alive, hopefully for many more centuries, to watch humanity's growths and struggles and to keep learning, forever.

Also, I wouldn't mind seeing Jack and Seven on a continuing mission to explore strange, new life...

The thing that didn't work so well for me was the Borg Queen and her motivations. It just didn't feel very convincing, and we didn't really get much time to really explore it and give it weight. A bit disappointing compared to last season's queen.

Stalker0

Legend
The thing that didn't work so well for me was the Borg Queen and her motivations.
So the Queens primary motivator was survival and desperation. Her species was effectively "dead", and she was looking desperately for that connection she wants had.

Secondary motivator was revenge on starfleet for "genoiciding" her species, at least from her perspective.

I think those came through clear enough. As I mentioned before, the only aspect I didn't understand was the inviting Picard in effectively to gloat. You gloat when you have 100% won, not when your super move has worked but there is still worked to be done. I mean her plan was brilliant but it was very brittle due to her desperate state.

• She needs to keep Jack alive to keep the signal going (I now assume that this organic thing was just a side project until Voyager massacred them, and suddenly it became their only hope....but jack was the only one and they didn't have the resources to make more).
  • She needs the ship (which is rickety and not super functional) to stay near the fleet to broadcast the signal.
  • Humanity has now beaten the Borg several times, so you would never put them in the same bucket as most species, they are now an 8472 level threat, something to be taken with absolute seriousness.
  • As we saw when the Enterprise started firing, while it was old it had more than enough firepower to do serious damage.
With all of that mind, not firing on the enterprise the second they found you was monumentally stupid.

MarkB

Legend
So the Queens primary motivator was survival and desperation. Her species was effectively "dead", and she was looking desperately for that connection she wants had.

Secondary motivator was revenge on starfleet for "genoiciding" her species, at least from her perspective.

I think those came through clear enough. As I mentioned before, the only aspect I didn't understand was the inviting Picard in effectively to gloat. You gloat when you have 100% won, not when your super move has worked but there is still worked to be done. I mean her plan was brilliant but it was very brittle due to her desperate state.

• She needs to keep Jack alive to keep the signal going (I now assume that this organic thing was just a side project until Voyager massacred them, and suddenly it became their only hope....but jack was the only one and they didn't have the resources to make more).
  • She needs the ship (which is rickety and not super functional) to stay near the fleet to broadcast the signal.
  • Humanity has now beaten the Borg several times, so you would never put them in the same bucket as most species, they are now an 8472 level threat, something to be taken with absolute seriousness.
  • As we saw when the Enterprise started firing, while it was old it had more than enough firepower to do serious damage.
With all of that mind, not firing on the enterprise the second they found you was monumentally stupid.
Yeah, that would have worked better if it had been Jack's doing - like, even if he's fully assimilated his instinct is to welcome his parents in, and he would hesitate to transmit the Queen's order to fire - but they had him essentially willingly assimilated right up until Picard's last-minute intercession, which did feel like it rather robbed him of agency. Even the fully-assimilated Locutus was able to show moments of minor self-control.

Ryujin

Legend
Yeah, that would have worked better if it had been Jack's doing - like, even if he's fully assimilated his instinct is to welcome his parents in, and he would hesitate to transmit the Queen's order to fire - but they had him essentially willingly assimilated right up until Picard's last-minute intercession, which did feel like it rather robbed him of agency. Even the fully-assimilated Locutus was able to show moments of minor self-control.
But Jack had been longing for any connection all his life, whereas Picard chose his connection to the people of Starfleet. Jack was overwhelmed by his desires, while Picard was taken away from his.

Stalker0

Legend
But Jack had been longing for any connection all his life, whereas Picard chose his connection to the people of Starfleet. Jack was overwhelmed by his desires, while Picard was taken away from his.
Oh its true that Jack's commitment to the collection isn't out of character necessarily. The point was that you COULD have given jack that little bit of rebellion still and provided a much better narrative explanation for why the Enterprise wasn't blown out of the sky the second it was spotted.

glass

(he, him)
I definitely think that I'd watch that show. Feel cheated that they cut Seven off before she could deliver the line.
I consider that to be a good sign. It meant the writers of this show did not want to bind the writers of a possible future Captain 7 show. If they thought there was no chance of its happening, that would not have been a concern.

Remove ads