• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Piece of Mind: Thin Air

Bobitron

Explorer
Kristen nervously focuses on the screen of her phone, typing up a text message furiously. Guns? Shooting? I kinda thought Hawk had that cannon just for looks, to show he was a threat. I'm in deeper water than I thought. Martin never mentioned this stuff in the apllication process. She signs audibly. Oh well. I'm involved now, and I'm not about to pull out from my team. But maybe I should ask for a raise...

She finally decides to pipe in after Hawk's last comment. "I know one thing. If something... ugly starts, I'll be glad to have someone around who can get ugly right back. So long as you keep that fancy pistola hidden away until it's the last option available, I don't see a problem. How's that saying go... 'Better to have a gun and not need it than not have one and need it?' Something like that."

kmdietri

Explorer
The grin on Decker's face increased considerably as he listened to the exchange between Hawk and Brandon.

Originally Posted by Bobitron
'Better to have a gun and not need it than not have one and need it?' Something like that."

When Kristen chimed in he couldn't hold back the laughter. "Wow, I've never heard that one, but I guess in this case it's apt."

"This is the way I see it Brandon, we'll rely on your mouth to keep us out of trouble and Hawk's gun to get us out of trouble." Decker says with a grin still creasing his face.

Last edited:

James Heard

Explorer
Brandon thows his hands in the air in exasperation.

"That's what I'm saying! If we start buying trouble, the other guys can afford a whole hell of a lot more of it than our employers!"

He continues, "Money isn't the root of all evil, but it sure as spit buys evil the front row seats."

The Shaman

First Post
The team settles into a collective silence as the miles tick off. South on Interstate 5 toward Seattle, then I-405 south to State Route 202 east, the Acura zips along as the rain returns, the monotonous swish of the wipers pushing back the steady downpour.

Exiting the highway, Hawk drives south on 228th Street, past the shopping centers of the prosperous bedroom community – Kristen and Decker note the Safeway supermarket and the Peet’s Coffee where Gold’s credit card bills indicate he was a regular customer. Turning left on SE 24th St., passing a sign reading “Beaver Lake Park – City of Sammamish,” the Acura follows the rolling drive through a well-to-do neighborhood of well-kept homes deeply ensconced among fir forest. After a few minutes Gold’s house comes into view.

Set back on a lush, tree-lined lot, the home appears orderly and well-kept, built in the ubiquitous Northwest style. There is no sign of activity around the house – in fact, aside from a few passing cars and a cyclist in rain-gear, the street is quiet.

kmdietri

Explorer
"Well, no welcoming party, that's a good sign." Decker says as he rummages through his contractor's bag retreiving his lock picks and electrical tool kit and stuffing them in his leather jacket.

"Anybody want to have a look inside?" Asks decker as he scans the property for a more discreet entrance then the front door.

Bobitron

Explorer
James Heard said:
"Definitely."

"Yeah, let's go. I should have asked Martin if he had keys for the house, but I think a little resoucefulness should get us in, right, Decker?" She gives him a sideways wink.

Kristen gets out of the warm Acura, opening her umbrella. She tucks her laptop case under her arm and starts to approach the house.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads