• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Piece of Mind: Thin Air

Bobitron

Explorer
The Shaman said:
In the study are a desk with a computer and two bookshelves groaning under the weight of texts on medical psychology, pharmacology, and physiology

"I'm going to look through this stuff," Kristen says. "It might take me a while. ANyone want to help me go through the books?"

She starts with the books, looking for anything out of place or perhaps hidden in the pages. God, I recognize plenty of these from my shelves.

OOC: Search +9, taking 20
OOC:

Once finished, she moves to the computer, sitting once more before a glowing screen.

OOC: Take 20 here as well, Shaman. Computer Use +9, Search +9, Research +9
OOC:

Edit: Changed from a Take 10 to a Take 20, since all the cool kids are doing it ;)

Last edited:

kmdietri

Explorer
“Do we know Annalee’s address yet?” Says Decker as he moves about the house. “I don’t know how much of this stuff you want to touch without gloves on.” Decker says as he watches Kristen rummage through the papers and books on the Dr’s desk. “And we definitely don’t want to linger here after dark. The lights on will be a dead give-away that some-things up in here.” Continues Decker as he retrieves some paper-towels from the kitchen and wipes down the door where the team entered. That done Decker moves into the study and helps Kristen search.

OoC:

Take 20 search total 26.

James Heard

Explorer
"I guess I'll go check out the daughter's bedroom." Stopping downstairs to look for plastic wrap, plastic bags, and possibly some gloves, Brandon returns to take the room apart meticulously. "Who knows, might find a diary..." Brandon thinks to himself.

OOC:
Taking 20 Search: 22

Any clues get tossed in plastic bags, he saw it on CSI

Falkus

Explorer
"I'll keep an eye out for trouble, just in case somebody wants to see what we're doing. If you need any help, just give me a shout," Hawk said, staying outside the building, and keeping an eye on the street, while trying not to be too conspicious (though failing at this, since subtlety wasn't his speciality). He whistled idly as he watched, expecting something to go wrong. The hallmark of a good bodyguard, paranoia and suspicion.

Hide: 7
Spot: 3

The Shaman

First Post
Brandon digs around in Annalee’s room. In the closet are two boxes – one with a selection of DVDs, one with CDs. The DVDs include several documentary filmmakers: Peter Davis’ Hearts and Minds, Gillo Pontecarvo’s Battle of Algiers, Michael Moore’s Bowling for Columbine, Ken Burns’ Jazz (with a little note indicating that it was a Hanukkah present from her father), and others. The CDs are what one might expect to see from a teenage girl circa the Nineties who’s since moved on to other things: Spice Girls, N’sync, 98degrees, and The New Rebels. There is some clothing and other personal effects.

In the study, Kristen and Decker peruse the doctor’s books and papers. There is nothing that jumps out at you about the books on the shelves – all is what you would expect to find from a former professor and current researcher in the field. Stored on a shelf under the desk are several software manuals and boxes – on top is a desktop calendar. The calendar is blank, but on the underside written in Dr. Gold’s hand is the phrase, “Mr. Lucky.”

Booting up the computer, Kristen and Decker next root through Gold’s files. Much of what is on the hard drive is similar to what was found on his workstation at Martin Pharmacology – more research articles, his calendar synced to the one at work. There are also some personal touches – links to a variety of blues websites in his Favorites folder, a copy of Doom II, a how-to guide to roulette. There is also an email archive that contains no surprises. His address book is on the computer as well, including Annalee’s contact information.

Kristen notes something as she looks over the programs on the computer – on the shelf under the desk are copies of manuals for Quattro Clinical and CAVS, both programs that are used in biomedical research. However, the programs are not on the Gold’s computer – quickly accessing her own account at Martin Pharmacology, she realizes that while both programs are available from the server through her workstation, they are not loaded onto the company laptops, either.

It takes more than an hour to poke through Gold’s files on the computer, and the sky is darkening – sunset isn’t far away, and it’s getting increasingly difficult to search in the shadows of the house.

I allowed take 20s on the Search checks but not the Research check – that would mean spending about 40 hours in the house to accomplish. If you want to make camp in Dr. Gold’s residence for a couple of days, that’s fine – let me know and I’ll adjust accordingly.

There was time for Brandon to do more than rummage through a co-ed's personal belongings – was there anything else he wanted to do while Kristen and Decker were on the computer?

Hawk, a Spot check if you please.

kmdietri

Explorer
“Well there’s Annalee’s address.” Decker says as he jots it down on a scrap of paper and then begins to try and put the room back the way it was. "We should probably get out of here soon, it's getting dark." He continues as he turns to leave. “Why don’t you run a quick search on the computer’s hard-drive for Mr. Lucky. I’m gonna go see what the rest of the team has found.” Says Decker over his shoulder as he goes to find Brandon and Hawk.

Falkus

Explorer
Hawk was still hanging around the back of the house, keeping an eye on the street like a good bodyguard. I hope the others found something useful, he thought, whistling tonelessly.

The Shaman

First Post
At Decker’s suggestion, Kristen searches Gold’s hard drive for a reference to “Mr. Lucky,” but nothing comes up on the computer.

Perhaps it was the rain, or the deepening shadows as day turned to night, but Hawk was rudely brought to attention by an authoritative voice: “Sheriff’s Department! Show me your hands!”

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads