Pirate, Why Do You Plunder?

If you are enjoying reading Neverland Fantasy Role-Playing or Neverland - The Impossible Island and want to run the setting like I do, your mind might turn to pirates. Or maybe you have another sea or space based pirate RPG you enjoy. We know what pirates do, but why do pirates plunder? Why flout the law and risk a hanging? Here are d6 ideas why your player character might choose to say, “A pirate life for me.” While these ideas are written with the high seas in mind, they can easily be ported into space as well.

pirate.jpg

picture courtesy of Pixabay

1. Revenge

Someone did you wrong. Maybe you were made to walk the plank but managed to swim to shore or were marooned on a desert island. Once you make it back to another crew you likely want to work your way up the ranks and plot to extract your revenge one day. Revenge may be something that drives you or it might be in the back of your mind waiting for the right time to be brought to fruition.

2. Rum-Soaked Dreams

You drink a lot. Life seems to blend seamlessly between rum-fueled dreaming and real life. You talk to the unseen, you never walk in a straight line, and your crew never knows exactly what you may do next. However, you always come through in a fight or when sailing the high seas. You are chaos incarnate and dangerous as hell when swords cross.

3. Press Gang

Piracy was not a choice because you were press ganged into it. Then you found out you were good at fighting, drinking, and raiding. And your old life seemed dull by comparison. You have taken to the pirate life, but you remember those who forced you into it. Whether you want them to pay for kidnapping you remains a choice you haven’t made just yet. Until then you will sail and loot and live your new life.

4. Ruthless

You might have been kicked out of the Royal Marines for brawling, just avoiding the hangman. Or the merchant marine cashiered you for drunkenness. You are just too mean and too rough for legal work on the seas. But as a pirate those violent skills and lack of impulse control can take you far, if you avoid angering the officers. And if they cause you too much grief, well, mutiny can always lead to a brand new command if needed.

5. Wanderlust

You kill when needed and take what you need. But what you really enjoy are new port towns to visit, hearing a new foreign language, and smelling salt spray from many different seas. Maybe you collect seashells or take notes on what you’ve seen or you only feel truly alive while at sea. You want to sail and keep sailing and you’re willing to kill to keep enjoying the privilege.

6. Buried Treasure

You’re in it for the gold. You want to be rich or maybe you just want piles of loot. You know you have to be careful if you aren’t the captain to keep your greed hidden. Dead men tell no tales may be a cliché, but it is a cliché for a good reason. If you discover the location of buried treasure you have be very careful who you share that secret with.

Next time you decide to play a pirate, pause for a moment and consider how your pirate joined the life and why he stays. Then hoist the Jolly Roger and sail off to unearth buried treasure and take to a life of skullduggery on the high seas. Or pick up a blaster, board a beat up starship, and head for the Outer Rim as a pirate in search of merchant prey.

Last edited:

Charles Dunwoody

Charles Dunwoody

Vast majority of the RPG community. Anyone who ever played D&D. Or Warhammer RPGs. Or RuneQuest. Or Star Wars. Or Traveller. Or Gangbusters. Or many other RPGs where PCs can play criminals.

I've GM'd D&D, War Hammer, Runequest, and Traveller. Never allowed criminals. So, not 'anyone' who played those games.

I've GM'd D&D, War Hammer, Runequest, and Traveller. Never allowed criminals. So, not 'anyone' who played those

All of those RPGs have criminal options for PCs. So if you played them and introduced players to them you opened the door to them playing criminals in RPGs. Maybe not in your game. But certainly in others.

And discussing criminal backgrounds is completely okay for those GMs who do want those elements in their games. And obviously many do or so many RPGs wouldn't include them.

And why not? Westley became the Dread Pirate Roberts in a Princess Bride and he's an adventurer. Han Solo was a smuggler. Should playing someone like him not be an option in an RPG? Robin Hood was a bandit. Why could't a PC be him? Conan was a thief. Biblo was a burglar. Zorro was a wanted man. Captain Jack Sparrow was a pirate captain. Mouser was a thief. The list is long.

All of those RPGs have criminal options for PCs. So if you played them and introduced players to them you opened the door to them playing criminals in RPGs. Maybe not in your game. But certainly in others.

And discussing criminal backgrounds is completely okay for those GMs who do want those elements in their games. And obviously many do or so many RPGs wouldn't include them.

And why not? Westley became the Dread Pirate Roberts in a Princess Bride and he's an adventurer. Han Solo was a smuggler. Should playing someone like him not be an option in an RPG? Robin Hood was a bandit. Why could't a PC be him? Conan was a thief. Biblo was a burglar. Zorro was a wanted man. Captain Jack Sparrow was a pirate captain. Mouser was a thief. The list is long.

I was pointing out the fallacy of your argument. Nice attempt at deflection, though.

aramis erak

Legend
I've GM'd D&D, War Hammer, Runequest, and Traveller. Never allowed criminals. So, not 'anyone' who played those games.
If you actually used WFRP as written (1st, 2nd or 4th), a number of the starting careers are in fact criminals. Which implies strongly that you've not run it as written, but with significant change to Char Gen. Is this the case? Or have you just been lucky.

Waller

Legend

I'm just imagining this guy at a screening of Star Wars.

"What, Han Solo is a SMUGGLER? I DEMAND YOU STOP THIS FILM IMMEDIATELY! I WILL NOT CONDONE FILMS WITH PROTAGONISTS WHO BREAK THE LAW!"

I'm just imagining this guy at a screening of Star Wars.

"What, Han Solo is a SMUGGLER? I DEMAND YOU STOP THIS FILM IMMEDIATELY! I WILL NOT CONDONE FILMS WITH PROTAGONISTS WHO BREAK THE LAW!"

This is totally unrealistic. This guy has left the theater already, when Leia resisted lawful arrest in the opening scene.

More on-topic, romanticized illegal behavior, either by having criminal backgrounds (charlatan, spy, criminal, possibly urchin if begging is outlawed) and classes (rogue...) in core classes, as been a default from corebooks. Besides drawing from novel sources, it's not surprising given the expected behaviour of PCs. They will often use killing as the default way of solving problem with sentient beings (because the logistic of taking prisonners is too boring, so let's conveniently kill...), plunder shamelessly (I have never seen PCs trying to identify the legitimate owners of the gold in the dragon's treasure). But many of the regular activities a PC engages in would result in them being considered criminals in the real world at various points in history. There is a cathartic value in solving your problem by killing the evil wizard when you don't kill your evil pointy-haired boss ; I don't see "pirates" being inherently more problematic than your regular, land-locked killers-for-hire called adventurers.

Last edited:

If you actually used WFRP as written (1st, 2nd or 4th), a number of the starting careers are in fact criminals. Which implies strongly that you've not run it as written, but with significant change to Char Gen. Is this the case? Or have you just been lucky.

My players were careful to choose careers with minimal baggage.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases