Piratecat's Updated Story Hour! (update 4/03 and 4/06)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rune

Once A Fool
Piratecat said:

Before he can do anything, the hillside under their feet erupts into a shower of dirt and a rising juggernaut of slimy, rotting gray flesh. At first the group thinks it’s an undead purple worm; as both Tao and Velendo disappear into its huge mouth, that’s certainly their first impressions. But as the creature engulfs them, they realize that they’re wrong. Like grasping cilia, the inside of the worm’s mouth is filled with ghoulish arms, clutching and tearing, and dozens of screaming heads that barely poke their way out of the fleshy wall and tongue.

Someone screams.

To the horror of people watching, the outside skin of the worm pulses grotesquely and then turns… shuffling itself around and revealing that each 5 ft. section of the worm’s body is the torso of a ghoul, somehow flesh-merged together. Now the worm looks more like a humongous centipede, only with ghoulish arms clutching anything nearby, instead of a centipede’s legs. The monster throws its blind snout skywards, and hundreds of half-seen gibbering mouths slobber and drool in hunger.

Inside its gullet, Tao manages to lock one hand around the razor sharp bone-like protrusion of the lip; Velendo, who has never been terribly strong, isn’t as lucky. The raising of the snout breaks his grip, and dozens of clawed arms grab him and force him down the long throat, tearing at his flesh as he goes. He feels negative energy coursing through his body, and his screaming muscles lock in place.

Oh. My. FREAKIN'. God!

Piratecat, prior to this post, I had been able to convince myself that I was a somewhat creative guy and that I could run horror reasonably well, but you have once again reminded me how this stuff is really done!

Thank you, to a true master of the craft! I will go weep in fear and resignation, now.

Sagiro

Rodent of Uncertain Parentage
Rune said:

Thank you, to a true master of the craft! I will go weep in fear and resignation, now.

Funny... that's just what Velendo was doing at that moment.

-Sagiro

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
As Velendo and Tao disappear into the necropede’s gullet, the Defenders leap into action. TomTom, who is virtually useless against undead, schisms his mind and runs over to manifest inertial barrier on Mara as well. She smells hot metal as he does so, as for just a few seconds the smell of his psionics masks the reeking taint of dried blood and rotting flesh.

Inside the creature’s maw, Tao strains every muscle she has, and barely manages to pull herself free. It isn’t easy, and the clutching undead arms almost drag her back inside, but she rolls clear and makes it to her feet. Near her, Malachite levitates downwards and sprints towards the monster, determined to help Velendo.

Unfortunately, the beast sees Malachite with hundreds of half-rotten eyes, and smells the irresistible odor of flesh. It rises slightly, twists its snout, and swallows him whole.

Inside its throat, Malachite ignores the dozens of clawed hands trying to pull him apart. Instead, he focuses his eyes on what little he can see of Velendo as he concentrates, focusing his will through the lens of his faith. He releases another positive energy burst. In the glare of the emerald light he feels arms searing away into stumps and watches ghoulish eyes boiling in their sockets within the worm’s rotting throat.

From outside, the Defenders watch as the necropede shudders, emerald light pouring from rents in its skin. The positive energy streams past them, destroying even more ghouls back in the graveyard behind them. For a second or two, the air smells clean.

“I’m coming, Blessed One!” Malachite calls to Velendo, and forces his way farther down the creature’s throat.

Outside, Mara’s eyes light up with a clever idea. She can’t get close to it without being swallowed, but…. She digs in her pouch and pulls out a tiny token shaped like a perfect tree. With a flawless throw, she sinks it right into the monster’s mouth. It tumbles past Malachite. Velendo, paralyzed, can only watch as it is lands near him and is grasped by an undead hand. The token is blindly passed, hand to hand, past him down the long slimy throat into the depths of the worm itself. Velendo notes, out of the corner of his eye, that the Quaal’s Tree Token is already starting to grow roots.

Raevynn tries to cast gutroot on the monster, with no effect, and Agar casts a rope trick for people to use as a sanctuary. He clambers into it himself and dangles out upside down, casting spells from a nice safe place. He still remembers his recent death, and would rather not repeat the experience.

Tao gets to her feet next to the necropede. As she does, though, the worm starts to slither, and the hill around it begins to collapse. Mara and TomTom jump back, but Tao doesn’t have time, and she falls downwards along with sliding dirt and rocks. She doesn’t fall far before her ring of feather falling kicks in, and she gets the first horrified look at what’s below her. The worm is slithering upwards, and clinging to its outsides are scores more ghouls, mostly dwarven. They’re using it as transportation to the surface… and Tao’s falling right on top of them.

The worm surfaces and ghouls drop from it with slavering glee. Tao is still balanced on its back, swinging her swords around her as she clears herself a place to fight, plunging her weapon into the beast itself. Mara opens her mouth in a prayer as she dismounts Luminor….

And finds her head snapped backwards. Someone – something – riding on the back of the worm has shot a bone arrow at her, shot it with such precision that it flew into her mouth and punctured the back of her throat and the back of her skull without touching any of her teeth. She begins to choke on her own blood as she fights off the darkness. All she can hear around her is the gurgling screams of the hungry undead.

to be continued….

• DM's Note: One arrow, 85+ points of damage! She liived through it, partially due to the inertial barrier, but she (and Velendo, and Malachite, and Tao) are in a bad spot right now. And who's the archer, and what's up with the ghoulish worm, and what about that tree? Next update Sunday!

Last edited:

madriel

First Post
Oh. My. GOD!

That was too cool. Seriously. That necropede is nasty biscuits. It just gets worse and worse. Not only is it swallowing every party member it can get its hands on, it's piggybacking ghouls and a very nasty sniper. What a shot. 85 points of damage. Great way of writing up the arrow shot that took out Mara. I'm still stunned.

Suddenly Sunday seems a very long way away.

J'quan

First Post
Deepworm Sniper? *shiver*

Add a few rogue levels to that DS, and shooting from invis... likely a sneak attack for some more loving.

Samnell

Explorer
Piratecat said:
“I’m coming, Blessed One!” Malachite calls to Velendo, and forces his way farther down the creature’s throat.

If I were in Malachite's shoes I don't know that I'd be calling a paralyzed guy stuck in the maw of a giant undead worm filled with ghouls (made of ghouls?) blessed. He might not appreciate the irony if he survives.

"Blessed One? Ha ha ha, very funny. You'll see just how blessed I am once I get this smell out of my clothes." :D

Blackjack

First Post
Samnell said:
If I were in Malachite's shoes I don't know that I'd be calling a paralyzed guy stuck in the maw of a giant undead worm filled with ghouls (made of ghouls?) blessed.

:) Alas, this was actually a typo on PCat's part. Malachite always calls Velendo "your Holiness"; the title "Blessed One" is for St. Aleax. (The sword.)

Malachite is very precise with titles, much to Velendo's chagrin -- Velendo has repeatedly asked Malachite to stop calling him "your Holiness", but Velendo might as well be talking to a wall.

Which, given his faith, makes a lot of sense, actually.

Samnell

Explorer
Blackjack said:
Malachite is very precise with titles, much to Velendo's chagrin -- Velendo has repeatedly asked Malachite to stop calling him "your Holiness", but Velendo might as well be talking to a wall.

Which, given his faith, makes a lot of sense, actually.

Being told to stand in the corner must have special significance in the religion. You get Calphas in stereo.:)

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
We're headed off to the incredibly important climax of Sagiro's game, the encounter that we've been building towards for five years... and we're really excited. But between that, chores, and a fun couple of days at ConnCon (where I saw some EN Boarders!), I haven't had time to update yet. I do have a special feature for you, though; want to see stats on the necropede?

If you aren't an active player in my campaign, follow this link! If you are in my campaign, I trust you not to look there.

So enjoy, and expect a story hour update on Monday!

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads