Piratecat's Updated Story Hour! (update 4/03 and 4/06)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redwald

First Post
newbie to PC's story hour seeks help

Hi, I'm a long-time lurker new to posting. I've been following Sagiro's story hour obsessively for months and thought I might see what kind of wickedness Dranko's player is capable of as a DM.

Unfortunately I'm confused on a couple of points and would appreciate it if someone would lend me some clues.

Piratecat said:

I believe I understand that the Defenders of Daybreak is the name of the adventuring company comprising Piratecat's players' characters, but I see posts from several different people that appear to be in-character. Are these what they appear to be, campaign journals told from the character's perspective rather than the semi-omniscient perspective of a DM?

Archived Piratecat's Story Hour to this point: Click here for the 210k zip file!

That link does not work for reasons that are fairly clear to me (I've been lurking since before Eric Noah stopped running his own site and merged with this one, which is how I found Sagiro's story hour -- how long has that been now? But I digress.) and I could not find any mention of Piratecat on the current list of Story Hour downloads, except for "Feng Shui: Six in the Chamber" which I'm pretty confident is something different.

Does someone know where a poor newbie hungry to learn what everyone else is talking about can get started with Piratecat's Story Hour?

Many thanks for any pointers/tips/clues.

Morte

Explorer
Re: newbie to PC's story hour seeks help

Redwald said:
Does someone know where a poor newbie hungry to learn what everyone else is talking about can get started with Piratecat's Story Hour?

Many thanks for any pointers/tips/clues.

The reason for your confusion is that the game has been running since forever. Well, about ten years I think.

The "Defenders of Daybreak" are the adventuring company, as you thought. This thread you're reading is the tale of their most recent adventures from the last year or two, starting in Eversink, told by the DM (Piratecat) with omniscient perspective more-or-less as it went along. Many of the players comment.

There's also an "early years" thread put together long after the fact. This is seemingly written long after the fact by anybody who could remember anything, particularly Bandeeto (who played Arcade the wizard) who took notes at the time. It's written in character, out of character, you name it.

In between the two there's a gap of many years, including the bit where they saved the world. Some of the players are working on filling it, so far as they can.

Work is underway on an overall Defenders of Daybreak site. This includes the two threads you see with the discussion stripped out, if you prefer things that way.

[I have no part in this, I just read the SH.]

target

First Post
Re: newbie to PC's story hour seeks help

Redwald said:
I believe I understand that the Defenders of Daybreak is the name of the adventuring company comprising Piratecat's players' characters, but I see posts from several different people that appear to be in-character. Are these what they appear to be, campaign journals told from the character's perspective rather than the semi-omniscient perspective of a DM?

What's going on here is that we're really lucky to have a number of the players of the game as regulars on the boards. So when you see in character posts from the party, those are by the players in question. Those are not piratecat logging in different accounts to post, if that's what you thought.

There's also an early years thread, linked in another response to your post. That is about events long since passed, primarily concerning party members who are no longer with the party. It gives lots of entertaining backstory, and also explains where the party title came from.

Hope that explains things a bit,
target

jonrog1

First Post
"Heh, I'm going to have my PC's interrupt a ritual, that'll be INCREDIBLE, an epic moment -- hey, Piratecat just updated! Let's take a look!"

*reads*

"... ah."

I don't know what fills me with more rage -- trying to top that sequence, or that PKitty has players who know how long it takes to get out of their armor, computes a sinking-to-breath-holding-to-con-to armor-removal ratio and instantly dismisses it as a viable strategy.

Fantastic as always.

Redwald

First Post
Re: Re: newbie to PC's story hour seeks help

target said:

What's going on here is that we're really lucky to have a number of the players of the game as regulars on the boards. So when you see in character posts from the party, those are by the players in question. Those are not piratecat logging in different accounts to post, if that's what you thought.

No, that's not what I thought. Some of Sagiro's players post to his story hour (though generally not in character), such as Piratecat himself of course, KidCthulhu and occasionally Tor Bladebearer. So it only makes sense that Piratecat's players would post in his story hour, too, or in related threads.

The main thing I didn't understand is that Piratecat's campaign hadn't been "Story-Houred" from the very first session as Sagiro's has. Or, more precisely, since EN World didn't exist when Sagiro's Charagan campaign started, Piratecat's campaign just hasn't cleared the backlog yet, while Sagiro's has.

I was just looking for the "very beginning" to start reading at; now I've learned that it doesn't really exist. So I'll just start reading at the top of this thread like everyone else did. Since I gather that Sagiro and Piratecat are in a serious contest of one-upRBDMship, I expect to enjoy it quite a bit. :)

Thanks a lot for the clarifications, guys! My mind is significantly less cloudy now.

Bandeeto

First Post
There's also an "early years" thread put together long after the fact. This is seemingly written long after the fact by anybody who could remember anything, particularly Bandeeto (who played Arcade the wizard) who took notes at the time. It's written in character, out of character, you name it.

I should mention, incidentally, that we have finally managed to get to Boston long enough to ransack some of Piratecat's old campaign notes. Over time we may be able to start filling in some of the missing stories, including: the infamous first trip to Sigil, My Mother is A Stepmonster, The Helm of the Hive, killed by inch-high goblins, and many many more.

Sialia

First Post
Alright--I was supposed to be writing a paper tonight--I should know better than to even LOOK at these rotten boards while I'm in school. But anyway, somebody bumped the old Early Years thread and I realized I had never gotten around to posting the rest of the Dylrath and Teliaz story--not that there's an end to it yet, because only Piratecat knows how it's going to come out--but there is more of it anyway. So I threw it up over there, and there it is. Also I updated one of the earlier posts that was missing a chunk.

http://enworld.cyberstreet.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=964137#post964137

Enjoy . . .

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
It takes hours to scour the cavern.

Still flying, the Defenders of Daybreak and a portion of their dwarven troops maneuver back and forth across the watery battleground, seeking out and systematically destroying any cowering or crying ghouls that they can find. Many of the undead appear to have already been killed by the initial assault or instantly destroyed when Imbindarla died, but that still leaves hundreds on the flooded plateau. One by one, the heroes free the whimpering and confused undead from their earthly bonds. As their flesh falls, the shaman Stone Bear can see their souls being swept onwards through the Bright Gate to their final reward in the halls of their ancestors.

Not all go willingly. Perhaps one in ten seem to have embraced the sudden epiphany of their ghoulish nature, and these undead are still hellbent on survival. Craftily, they hide under other corpses or swim beneath the water to try and escape the Defenders’ vigilance.

“I just took out another two!” calls Nolin, hovering over the wind-whipped and corpse-clogged sea. “I heard them chewing. They may have lost their Goddess, but they’re still hungry.”

“Ugh,” says Agar as he swoops in. “Hey, we have maybe another 45 minutes left on this fly spell. It wouldn’t do to forget.”

“Good point,” says Velendo. He calls mentally to one of the paladins. “Hey Mara, I think there might be a ghoul under this pile of smoking zombies. Can you come detect evil and check? I don’t want to poke around in there unless I absolutely have to.”

“I’d love to,” answers Mara, “but it doesn’t seem to be working. Malachite can’t detect undead, either. I don’t know why.”

“Hmm,” murmurs Agar as he strokes his chin. Waving his hands briefly, he frowns. “I can’t detect magic either. It’s possible that the fall of the Goddess has disrupted how normal spells work. We’ll have to see.”

“I can still detect rotting stink,” grumbles Splinder into his beard as he rubs his nose, but no one takes notice. He joins the others and they hang there in the bitter wind for a moment, rotating slowly and surveying the blasted and flooded plateau.

“So where do we go from here?” asks Tao. “Back to Akin’s Throat?”

Burr-Lipp looks up from down by the water, where he is grinding his longspear through the body of a ghoulish gibberling. Nervously, the bullywug’s tongue whips out and cleans some mucous from his saucer-sized eye. He croaks expansively, and his unintelligeable words are translated by the mindlink.

Velendo rounds on him, eyes wide. “What do you mean, ‘why don’t we take their boat’? They don’t have a boat.”

Burr-Lipp croaks again.

“Where? And how do you know about it?” The bullywug gives a wavering sort of ribbit, ending in a low grunt. “Huh. I guess your senses underwater are better than ours. Someone want to go look for it? It must be floating on the other side of those gigantic walls of water.” Several members of the group peel off to go explore for the ship Burr-Lipp claimed he sensed. Meanwhile, Nolin is trying to think like a trapped ghoul.

“Okay, I’m scared and trapped. I eat flesh. I’m over-matched. Where would I want to hide until the damned attackers went away?” He flies in a slow circle, and his eyes finally light on a low series of ridged buildings near the edge of the plateau. Their roofs look like they were once crafted of clouded ruby, and the architecture seems to twist as his eyes settle on it. Three curved and arched ceilings like clam shells rise from the plateau, and the bard concludes that they would be superb places to try and hide. Gesturing to the other Defenders near him, he silently glides down on the wind, circling the curved structure so as to surprise anyone inside.

He’s not disappointed. Behind the entranceway’s ruby pillars, seven or more shapes are visible, crouching low in the water as they speak in gurgling, low tones. “..a run for it,” one of them slobbers, chewing on a piece of its own arm in its distress.

“Too late,” says Nolin simply, as his friends descend in a semi-circle around the opening.

“Noooo!” screams a female drow in anger and frustration, and before the Defenders can react she draws chilling runes on the air with her clawed fingers. A whirling cloud of chewing teeth forms around most of the Defenders, and blood begins to pour from multiple wounds.

“Ow,” complains Velendo, eyeing the ghouls that are suddenly coming alert at the scent of fresh, hot blood. “These aren’t the rank and file. Hit them hard.” He follows his own advice with a flame strike, accompanied by a flame strike of Tao’s and a fireball by Nolin. A male drow elf slumps into the water, and two stumpy duergar are almost blown apart. Another female drow responds with a cone of icy-cold frost, however, and one of the duergar savants tugs his blood-clotted hair out of his eyes long enough to focus a blast of negative energy.

“May Aeos show you the true light,” suggests Mara. “Begone, nasty things!” She focuses her power, and uses her last turning attempt of the day. Focused through the strength of her will, her compulsion is nearly irrestible, and three of the undead are forced backwards into the ruby wall. Malachite and Tao swoop forward to attack, even as Agar unleashes a bolt of mystic lightning.

Nolin, however, stares at Mara. “Nasty things?” he asks skeptically. Mara blushes a bright pink, even as a brace of magic missiles slam into Nolin from one of the remaining ghouls.

“Well, they are!” She slams down the visor on her helmet and turns to charge the ghouls. Nolin grins through the pain and turns to smile at Velendo.

“You’ve got to love…” His voice breaks off as the waist-deep water beneath Velendo ripples oddly. Nolin tries to shout a warning, but he just can’t react in time as the male drow elf they thought dead rises from the dark water with his needle-like sword pointed directly at Velendo’s midriff.

“Goodbye,” whispers the ghoulish assassin, almost lovingly.

But Velendo is suddenly yanked backwards. Where the rumpled cleric was seconds ago, now there is a beautiful angel glowing like the lanterns of heaven, white wings spread and sword flashing. ”No,” admonishes Cruciel, and she both bats aside the assassin’s blade and slashes him across the rotting neck. The undead drow elf gapes in surprise, but quickly realizes that he’s in a horrible tactical position.

“Take him alive,” advises Malachite as he brings Karthos through the neck of the last standing ghoulish wizard. Beside him, Tao and Mara have just finished off the others. “We have questions that need answering.”

“Your choice, foulness,” intones Cruciel in a voice like trumpets at dawn. “Life or death. You may choose.”

The rotting dark elf stand poised in the water for a few precious seconds, torn between escape and surrender. His one remaining eye darts wildly back and forth as he calculates the odds. Then his face entirely shifts, and he drops his needle-like sword into the water. A wide grin spreads across his face, revealing putrefied gums.

“That’s very kind of you,” he simpers. “I am Lios. I hope I can be as kind to someone else in the future. I am, of course, completely at your disposal.” He spreads his arms wide and bows slightly. “I am disarmed and unarmored. I can do you no harm. I repent all of my sins. Won’t you please let me go?” He looks up innocently, his gaze skipping from Malachite’s icy hatred, to Mara’s worried frown, to Tao’s disgust, to Nolin’s bemused disbelief.

“We will send you on,” Malachite intones in a low voice, “when we are ready. We have questions to ask.” He cracks his knuckles within his gauntlets.

“By all means!” slobbers the ghoul eagerly. “I merely await your pleasure. Whatever I know, you will know.” He speads his hands wide once again by means of emphasis.

Velendo’s wispy gray eyebrows narrow. “You don’t mind telling us all your secrets?” he asks suspiciously.

“Oh, no!” says the ghoul unctuously. “It would be a pleasure. I have no alliance to the White Kingdom. Free me, and I will trouble you no more.”

“Why don’t you tell us?” Malachite’s voice is still low and rigidly controlled. His fist grips Karthos’ sheathed hilt tightly enough to cause pain.

“Well, I did,” says the ghoul wonderingly. He pulls on his chin as he thinks, only stopping when he realizes that he’s tugged loose a long strip of flesh. “My will was the will of my King. The ghouls had come to my city of Cuelvier years ago, and I had helped man the defense after the slaves had all fallen. I hated them then, and then I was killed – and suddenly, I understood that they were greater than I was! Greater than Lloth, greater than the drow, they were the key to life everlasting.” His voice has risen, but then he catches himself. “Well, not life exactly, but I’m sure you understand. I made a choice, and then my fate was tied to that of the Ivory King, and I existed only for him. Who I killed, who I ate, I killed and ate for Him and for our Ivory Queen, Imbindarla.” His voice is sad, and he goes silent.

Nolin prompts him. “And?”

“And today I was to be an overseer. I was to whip the fresh ghouls into the heart of the juggernaut, where they could merge with the beetles and bone. We were to do it quickly, for terrible signs had been seen that auspiced a disaster. And then you came, and then…” He sucks in a gasping breath that leaks out a charred hole in his chest. “Then our Queen died. Our Goddess fell.” He begins to look a bit panicked, but forces it away, fixing the wide and phony smile back on his face.

“What was that like?”

The ghoul thinks, still submissive. “My soul returned, I think. I suddenly had free choice again. I could remember everyone I had eaten, everything I had done.” He smiles, a little dreamily. “People taste soooo gooood…” he murmurs.

Mara puts a cautionary hand on Malachite’s shoulder, and raises her voice. “How did you get here?”

“We came in a ship loaded with our people. I don’t know most of the details,” he looks around, “and I think you killed the captain. We came, enlightened the gibberlings, found the sacred spot and the skeleton of the beast, pulled back the water, and began the ritual.”

“What was the ritual to do?”

The ghoul sighs. “It could have gone anywhere. Water, stone, air, fire. It could swim through them all, and deliver ghouls wherever the Ivory King or his Commanders wished. It was a thing of beauty.” He strokes a beetle swimming by, and Agar almost blasts him out of pure reflex.

Mara turns. “Anything else we need to know?” The ghoul tries to look both innocent, naïve, and attentive.

Velendo sighs. “Where is your home city?”

“Eb’Nacreous is far from here. We came by water, through a kuo-toa city named Glubyal. I don’t know the route. It is deep in the bowels of the earth, a place of bone and beauty.”

“Who is Advisor Soder?”

The ghoul looks surprised. “The advisor to the Ivory King. He can speak through the distances. A very wise man.”

“Uh huh. I’ll bet.”

Lios simpers a bit more. “I have been so very helpful. Won’t you please allow me to go on my way, as you promised?” Malachite exchanges a knowing glance with the rest of the Defenders, and Karthos leaps to his hand in the span of a heartbeat. There is the creak of armor, a truncated gurgle, and the sound of several objects splashing into murky water.

Malachite resheathes his sunblade as he turns away. “Gladly,” says the Hunter of the Dead with a tired voice. “Gladly.”

To be continued…

Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
The Defenders are tossed like leaves on a winter storm. They are flying, flying ever upwards through the utter darkness, fighting the gale winds that whip through the Deeping Rift as they try to reach their refuge before the mass fly spell wears off. As they slowly and laboriously rise, they discuss their findings.

“We went over the ship fairly carefully,” explains Galthia to several dwarven troops, “and we found some papers, but not too much that was useful. We ended up sinking the ship, just before the walls of water crashed down. I think we’re done down there.”

“I still think we should sail,” grumps Tao. “We have the folding boat that we took from the Dockside Royals, remember? The Bloody Grail.

“And who would navigate?” asks Velendo, who is trying not to get blown into a rock outcropping. “None of us know how to sail.”

“I do,” remarks Nolin with a smile, thinking of his new spell improvisation that can make him a temporary expert in any subject. “For a very, very brief time.” Nolin savors Velendo’s sarcastic glare as the group finally reaches the tunnel that links the Deeping Rift to Nulloc Toadbringer’s former quarters. They clamber through the narrow gap one by one, only to be met by one of the dwarves who they had left as a guard.

“Ah, Holdin,” booms Splinder. “How were things?”

“Fine, Sir,” answers Holdin. “The Illithid Empire sends their greetings. They wish you to know that if we only turn over the slaveling Gith, they will be pleased to aid us in our quest. If we do not, they shall treat us as cattle and traitors.” The dwarf stamps a foot. “We should turn him over, Sir. Now. I told them it wouldn't be a problem.”

Even as the color begins to rise in Galthia’s pale face, Velendo rolls his eyes. “Illithid Empire, huh? That’s a laugh.” He leans towards the dominated dwarf. “Can you hear me? You have no empire! You’ve been wiped out by the damn ghouls, and we’re cleaning up your mess. Now get the hell outta here. You try this again, you get no mercy. Tao?”

“Already on it.” Tao casts protection from evil on the dwarf, and his eyes suddenly refocus.

“Oh, Moradin’s sack! I’m so sorry, Sir. I never saw a thing.”

“I bet.” Splinder is frowning. “We need a head count to see if anyone got eaten, and we need to check whether or not anyone else is dominated.” He glowers through his braided beard. “Blasted squidheads.”

“I still can’t detect magic,” reminds Agar.

“All accounted for, Sir!”

“Good.”

Galthia is fuming, his normally placid demeanor taut and strained. “I suggest we track and destroy them right now. We’re incredibly fortunate that no one was eaten.”

The group has a fast discussion, and vetoes the plan. “We’re drained. I don’t want to lose anyone else.” Velendo throws his arm across Galthia’s bony shoulders. “Come on into the Calphas’ Comfortable Castle. I cast it this morning as a refuge, so it’ll last until tomorrow. We can dispel any domination, rest, and plan.” Reluctantly, Galthia agrees, and the entire unit of dwarves and heroes file through the narrow portal. Inside, the utter darkness of the caverns is no more, and regular light can be seen. They also discover that divination spells are working in the extra-dimensional space, and three more dwarves are revealed to be dominated. That’s quickly dispelled by the clerics, and the group settles down to rest.

“Velendo, can you cast sending for me?” asks Mara. “I want to find out what is happening elsewhere in the world.”

“Of course,” agrees Velendo, and casts the spell to fling Mara’s message through the multiverse into the ear of Father Whalter of Corsai. Velendo lifts his head to catch Mara’s sapphire blue eyes.

“Well? What’d he have to say?”

Velendo frowns. “No response. Either he’s asleep or it didn’t reach him.”

“Or he’s dead,” says Tao with concern in her voice.

“Also a possibility. It also might have gotten lost in the ether. Who knows what Imbindarla’s death has done? We’ll try tomorrow.” Tao also tries to cast a sending for Malachite, and similarly receives no response. Frowning, she settles in her chapel to pray.

Over a sumptuous breakfast the next morning, the group discusses their plans and whether they should travel by land or sea. “The advantage of sea is that it’s probably faster, and may have less enemies to run into. The big disadvantage is that no one knows how to navigate.” Velendo takes a slurp of tea.

“That’s no problem,” says Nolin as he glops more clotted cream onto a jam-filled scone. “We’ll just go around the edge of the sea. It’s how the ancient mariners used to do it when they didn’t want to go out of sight of land. They’d stick one guy up in the crows nest, and everyone else would laze around while he yelled ‘See it! See it!’ Then if land went out of sight, he’d scream ‘Don’t see it!’, and they’d all jump up and row like madmen until they could see land again.”

Everyone gives Nolin a doubting look.

“Trust me!” the bard says, waving his scone for emphasis. “I’m a historian. I know all about this sort of thing.”

“Uh huh.” Velendo’s tone is politely incredulous. “I’m sure. And if there is still no light in the world, that might be a little tricky with only 60’ darkvision. The big advantage of going by land is that we can find out what else is happening in the world. I tried another sending this morning, and got no answer.

“Everyone is probably dead.” Priggle nibbles on some dry bread. “That would be about right.”

“Shush, Priggle,” says Mara. “Try to see the positive side of things.” He looks up at her dourly, catches her eye, and almost smiles despite himself. He opens his mouth but takes a bite of bread instead of speaking.

“Well, we need information,” complains Nolin. “I like the idea of a nice sea voyage, but our map points the way towards the gogglers.. the kuo-toa, who I think are clammy fish-people. I think swinging by Akin’s Throat again might be the best thing to do.” The group takes a quick vote, and Tao is out-numbered. A land voyage it is.

“Another concern,” says Mara. “The sun didn’t rise this morning.”

The room goes silent. “What?”

“Ever since we became in Akin’s Throat, I can tell when the sun rises, and Malachite can tell when it sets. It didn’t rise this morning.”

Everyone exchanges a glance. Priggle opens his mouth to speak, thinks twice about it, and snaps it shut. His worried expression is echoed around the table.

“Well,” says Velendo slowly, “let’s go see what’s out there.”

[Note: I haven’t written up Mara and Malachite’s transition to their new prestige class, the Radiant Knight! I’ll cover it in a forthcoming flashback.]

What’s outside is icy darkness. Light still does not work, and the cold wind continues to whip through the narrow tunnel. Frost has formed on the stone, and the howling of the wind is almost surreal. “Reminds me of Pandemonium,” remarks Agar. “All tunnels and wind.”

“The wind is made up of spirits,” says Stone Bear wonderingly. “They stream past, screaming.” His empty eye sockets see the souls as they tumble by.

“Nice,” groans Agar. “I don’t think I envy you.”

“Be alert,” cautions Galthia. “The illithids have certainly not departed.” But as the group makes their way out of the tunnels and head back towards Akin’s Throat, they don’t see any illithid-sign. They do see hundreds of thousands of beetles, though, crunching underfoot and clambering across jagged stone walls. The death of the Goddess of That Which Crawls In Darkness seems to have brought the insects out in full force.

Hours into their march, the group is crossing through a small circular cave when Mara notices something uncomfortable. Ouch! she thinks. That hurt! Looking down, she sees that a small beetle is hanging by its pinchers from her forearm. Almost instinctively, she gives a quick glance over at Agar, but his magical belt keeps small vermin away from him. The others, though…

Seeing only with darkvision, Mara’s first impression is that people are all wearing dark boots. Then the “boots” continue to squirm and crawl upwards, and Mara’s stomach does a slow, lazy flip of revulsion. “Watch out! ” she starts to say, and then looks down at her own legs. Inch-long beetles coat them like dark and scuttling paint, and with a thrill of horror she realizes that the insects are in the process of squirming through the joints in her armor.

“What is it, Mara?” asks Nolin in concern. He hasn’t noticed it yet, but beetles are crawling quickly up the cuff of his pants and falling down into his boots.

“It’s…” She doesn’t have time to complete her answer, as hundreds of beetles chomp down simultaneously. Almost everyone in the group screams from the pain.

“Oh Gods! Get them off! Get them off!” Other than Agar – who is screaming more out of general principle than actual pain, since no beetle can touch him – only Nolin and Tao are untouched. Everyone else pinwheels around, trying to slap or fling away the dozens of beetles that have locked their pinchers into flesh. The agony is searing and intense, and very, very personal.

Velendo swallows down his panic. “It might be creeping doom! Run! Get out of the area! Now!” The old cleric hikes up the edge of his robes and sprints forward as fast as his old bones will carry him, an army of dwarves and adventurers fast on his heels. Unable to get through the crush at the cavern exit, Galthia grabs Priggle and nimbly leaps atop a stalagmite that rises from the cavern floor.

Below them, Tao shakes her arm and watches beetles tumble off of it. She looks at Nolin. “We’re outsiders. They can’t penetrate our skin.” Over the exclamations and shouts of pain from their friends, Nolin agrees.

“You’re right. That’s kind of nice. But I still don’t especially like bugs, and someone around here cast it on us.” He calls to Rides the Sun and mentally superimposes her phoenix shape over the mental image of his own body. Instantly, flame leaps out from his skin to sear away any insect it touches. “There goes another perfectly fine set of underclothing,” Nolin laments, and turns towards the hundreds of hungry insects crawling up the stalagmite towards Galthia. Flame leaps from his hands to burn the stone pillar temporarily clean. “You’re clear, Galthia. Go!”

To be continued…

Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Thanks for your patience, and thanks for the kind words! So, just so people are clear on what is going on:

- The Defenders of Daybreak, a high-lvl group of adventurers, are in the underdark trying to shatter the power of a ghoulish kingdom. They've been underground for close to a month (and for almost a year in real time.)

- Partially due to fallout from the adventurers' researches, Tao's goddess has slain the goddess of undeath, who has just literally fallen from heaven and hit the world. Bad things seem to be ensuing as a result.

- on top of everything else, illithids seem to be stalking the party. Is their elder brain undead?

- a ghoulish wizard of some sort who can possess other undead bodies (aka the puppeteer, aka Kellharin, but perhaps actually named Advisor Soder) seems to be heading up the ghoulish effort to discourage - one way or another - the Defenders. He might be considered an unusual fellow.

- the ghoulish empire may have suffered badly by having the goddess of undeath die. All the souls she kept away from their final rest are returning to their bodies. In some cases, this is killing the undead; in some cases, it is driving them insane; in other cases (especially where the person was a nasty piece of work to begin with), it might be making them stronger.

- many divination and communication spells appear to not be working correctly. If this is actually the case, it leaves the Defenders of Daybreak relatively isolated.

- The Defenders believe that they are getting close to their goal. They know that there is a kuo-toa city nearby that has allied with the ghouls, and they know that somewhere beyond that is an illithid city (believed overrun) and an ancient battlefield. How far Nacreous is beyond that, though, they're not sure.

- They suspect that the Ivory King, the king of the ghouls, is up to something particularly vile. They don't yet know exactly what.

I think that's an able summary! If anyone has any questions or needs a more detailed recap, let me know.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads