Piratecat's Updated Story Hour! (update 4/03 and 4/06)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
tleilaxu said:
a. how is attendance in your games? i know you've handled some absences with the temporal anomoly (tom tom is still stuck flashing in and out of existence). but i am curious, having an adventure such as this where the party is isolated, how do you handle it if a character can't be there for a session? its surely much easier if a party is 5th level in a ciry and you can say "Jonath went off into the slums for a day or two while the party had the adventure".

b. which books do you normally use?

Attendance is generally superb. Raevynn left the game when the player moved to Las Vegas, of course, and TomTom's player has discovered that having a daughter is more time consuming than he thought (he could probably come if we played regularly on Tuesdays, but that's a day that is bad for a number of other folks.) Alomir (Agar's player) is also a new Dad, but he and his wife coordinate child care in such a way that he's able to make most games. I think Aravis (who plays Galthia) and Wulf (who plays Stone Bear) have missed a couple of games recently due to business travel, but that's about it.

I generally figure that I'll have one person missing every other game. It's rare that it's more severe than this. I try to encourage regular attendence, but real life does intrude once in a while.

When someone is missing, their PC fades into the background a bit. I usually hand the character sheet off to someone else to run during any combats. This works out pretty well; I don't mind saying "so-and-so is off on an errand in the city," but that's a lot tougher in someplace like the underdark, where teleporting doesn't work!

I generally allow unrestricted material from the core rules, the Psionics Handbook, the Heroes of High Favor series, and the Manual of the Planes. I allow material on a case-by-case basis from Oriental Adventures, Relics & Rituals, the WotC splatbooks, and an assortment of other 3rd party products (such as Malhavoc's Mindscapes). Basically, if someone wants to use something that isn't in core rules, I need to approve it. Monsters, of course, I'll yoink from anywhere.

The trick is never letting anything into the game that I'm not comfortable with, and mining it for ideas and plot hooks if I do let it in. Take the Oriental Adventures shaman, for instance; I was hesitant to allow it, but that spirit sight ability (and the concept of guardian spirits providing the clerical domains) was just too much fun to pass up. :D

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
The monk leaps off the stalagmite with the deep gnome Priggle clutched under his left arm, hitting the floor gracefully and sprinting for the cave’s exit as fast as he can. Dozens more beetles latch painfully onto him as he does, digging their pinchers deep into his flesh as they try to consume tiny chunks of his body. By the time he reaches the safety of the outer cave, he’s bleeding from over sixty spots. He’s far from alone; beside him, Splinder spits out a beetle that has attached itself to his lip and wipes away the bloody saliva with the back of his gauntleted hand. “What in the Soulforger’s dark dreams caused that?”

“Quiet, everyone!” hisses Velendo. “We’re probably under attack!” He stares nervously out into the darkness, but sees nothing. Sixty feet away, the cleric’s darkvision ends like a flat black cloud, and Velendo is keenly aware that anything could be crouching unseen just beyond the range of his perception.

Splinder stiffens under the mild rebuke. “Tarm, Grimwald, go!” He snaps his finger towards the outer cave. “Thurrock, Delthor, you’re clerical support. Move with ‘em!” The still-injured dwarves stride off into the darkness to take up scouting positions. Velendo looks aggrieved, but Splinder just shakes his head and listens.

Two dwarven voices echo down the passage, followed by another two. “Clear!” “Confirmed!”

Splinder turns to Velendo. “I think we’re momentarily safe. No enemies, at least not yet.” Priggle slips off after the dwarves to do some stealthy scouting of his own. From the other end of the beetle cave, Tao is doing the same, and her voice is muffled by the insect-covered walls.

“No one over here, either!”

Velendo rubs his forehead. “Then how…?” He narrows his eyes at the beetle-filled cavern. “Hey, Tao? Is this sort of beetle behavior normal?” Tao strolls back over, her feet crunching the insects that are trying desperately to consume her bit by bit. She shakes her head.

“No, you know it isn’t. You see that wall?” Velendo nods. “Well, look at the way they all crawl on it, when they aren’t anywhere near as many on the other three walls. I should have noticed it immediately. Something is odd here.” Tao pauses to cast true seeing.

“Oh, my.”

“What is it?”

“There’s some sort of black cloud blowing right through the center of this room.”

Agar fights down his phobia and perks up. “Really? Let’s see!” He casts a divination spell himself and studies the area. A low whistle slides out of his lips.

“Fascinating. Tao is right; there is some sort of energy blowing right through the surface of the wall. It doesn’t seem to be any kind of attack on us, but it does look like negative energy. I believe that it’s sopme sort of side effect of Imbindarla’s death. It must be driving the insects into some sort of horrible hunger.” Everyone looks at one another.

“Well, that’s not good,” hazards Nolin.

“Certainly not!” exclaims Agar happily. “But it is fascinating. Even now, the amount of mist is lessening. I wonder if we can collect a sample…?”

“NO!” Shouted simultaneously by almost a half dozen people, it takes a few seconds for the echoes to die away.

“Well, fine.” Agar almost looks abashed. “But I’ve never seen anything quite like this before.”

“Let’s try to keep it that way.”

Three hours later, one of the forward scouts trots back to the group. He glances at Tao, who has been lost in private prayer for hours, and then turns to Splinder to report. “Galthia sent me. Problems up ahead, sir,” says the dwarf. “Three dead bodies, totally stripped of flesh.”

Splinder frowns. “Hungry ghouls cause it?”

“Dunno, sir. Don’t think so. Ghouls normally break open the bones ‘n suck out the marrow.”

“Let’s go see.”

A few minutes later, the group kneels down in a semi-circle to examine the corpses. The goblinoid bodies still have a full complement of gear and clothing covering their skeletons, but hardly a scrap of flesh remains. The bones are strewn face down along the tunnel. A number of chewed-through wicker cages and net frames also litter the tunnel floor behind them. Tao pauses her prayer long enough to examine the tracks, and then quickly lets out a sick laugh.

“They were beetle hunters!” Several party members turn pale as they consider the implications, and Tao nods. “They were out collecting large beetles from the Running, and they seem to have walked right into one of those clouds of Imbindarla’s breath.”

Nolin lets out a breath. “I’m betting that isn’t the place you want to be when you’re carrying a whole lot of large insects.”

“You think? Poor bastards.”

Agar swallows drily. The image of the goblins devoured by bugs confirms what he always knew would be true, and he shudders to think what would have happened to him if he was in the beetle corral in Akin’s Throat. Even after the group continues on, he keeps glancing behind him, as if the beetles might still be following.

The Defenders never do make it all the way back to Akin’s Throat. Near the end of a long day’s hike through the icy caverns and utter darkness, the tired group runs across a group of kobolds that have been waiting for them. Loyal to Nolin after his phenomenal bardic performances in the ‘Throat, these new followers have been gathering information for the bard in case he returns this way. Crouching out of the way of the howling spiritwind in a small side corridor, they offer the Defenders both warm food and important information.

“No light!” one of them says, restating the obvious as he bats away an errant flumph. “Everyone ssscared. Many rumorsss, hrmmmm?” The kobold offers Nolin a skin of mushroom beer to go with his hot rat soup.

“What else?”

The kobold’s eyes roll back in his little reptilian head as he thinks. “All the zombiesss fell down and died. The merchant Mirjik left. The fire creaturesss from the duergars’ss forge essscaped and killed many people. Sssome of the giant mussshroomsss fell over when the earth ssshook. Gatesss to ssscity are closed, not to be letting anyone in or out. We sssnuck out sssecret way.” He looks proud.

“Don’t forgets magic!” says another kobold, poking the first in the ribs with a long and scaly finger.

“That right!” The first kobold smiles widely, revealing sharp and pointy teeth. “Master, much magic not working. Our great kobold sssorcerers not know why. Sssome think it isss end of worldes.”

Nolin sighs, and then forces a congratulatory smile of praise. “Let’s hope not. You’ve done a great job! Please keep collecting information for me. You can tell people that the goddess of the ghouls is dead, and that is what is causing the problems.”

The kobold stares at the bard with unblinking lizard eyes. “Isss that not the thing that isss good?”

Velendo harrumphs. “We hope so. But don’t make any bets.” He slurps down the rest of his soup, flings a narrow and sodden rat tail back into the empty bowl, and eyes Nolin. “We done here?”

Nolin sighs, and drains the beerskin. “I suppose so. We best keep moving. We’re heading down towards the gogglers, and we can get an hour or two further today.

Finally, the group prepares to camp at the edge of what would normally be a beautiful cavern. One end is filled with flowing white rock that looks like it was liquidified and then frozen in place. Priggle whistles appreciatively as he examines it.

“They still aren’t working,” worries Velendo. “A sending from one of us to another person just fifteen feet away is barely audible; there’s no way one is getting from us back to the surface. And now our other divination magics are failing, even the powerful ones like true sight.”

Tao stops her constant prayer and lifts her head. “I can still feel my Goddess, of course, but I don’t know if I can talk to her.” She frowns tiredly. “I’m offering her my strength and faith, in case it may help. I would give everything I have, if she wishes it.”

Velendo looks at her in sympathy. “I know.”

Stone Bear sits down on an outcropping. “But I see that we have no way of knowing where the body of the Goddess fell, or how people are on the surface.” He hears a faint chuckle of a spirit in his ear, but he does not turn around.

“I hope she fell on Eversink. I hope she fell on Eversink.” Nolin chants his new mantra quietly to himself.

“Hey!” Tao raises an eyebrow. “I own property there now, remember?” Nolin doesn’t look even vaguely sympathetic.

“Wouldn’t you trade your new prison for the sight of Griggan crushed to death by a divine weight?”

“Good point. But there is Shara to think about…”

“She can teleport.”

“Another good point.”

“Well, we may be able to find out,” pipes up Agar, lifting his nose from a thick spellbook. “I have a new spell that should circumvent the divination problem, because I believe it works by utilizing the very forces that are probably scrambling normal spells! I should finish it by tonight, so we’ll see if it’s successful. With luck, it will give me uncontrolled visions of what is happening elsewhere in the world.”

“And that’s a good thing?”

Agar smiles. “I hope so.”

“Well,” says Velendo as he lurches to his feet, “first let’s get some rest.” He raises his holy shield and casts Calphas’ Comfortable Castle. “Ladies first,” he offers to Mara as he opens the door into the homey extradimensional space.

But instead of the normal food-laden and fire-lit interior, the door opens into a whirling gray hell of wind and mist. The pull of the storm almost yanks the elderly cleric through the portal and into its midst. He braces himself just in time.

“Auggh!” screams Velendo over the howling wind as he pulls back. “That’s not comfortable!”

To be continued…

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Expect some edits to this, as I need to check my notes - but it's a nice transitional moment, so I'll post it now, anyways. :D

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

He braces himself, and looks out into the thundering storm of whirling mist. “What in the world…?”

Agar pushes past him, locking arms with Tao and Malachite before pushing his face through the portal. His breath is quickly drawn from him by the whirling maelstrom, and he fancies that he can hear the screams of the damned echoing on the etheric winds. With some difficulty, he draws his head back. “Ethereal cyclone,” he states matter-of-factly. “Geez, I’d hate to see the astral plane right about now.”

“Why?” asks Mara.

“Well, it seems that the death of the goddess has done bad things to the local planar weather. If it’s this bad on the ethereal, the astral – the plane of thought – is likely a complete disaster. No wonder divinations and communication spells aren’t working. Anything that has to travel through that mess is going to be disrupted.”

“That explains why the pit fiend was worried about us traveling to Agar’s village,” muses Nolin. “I bet you can’t plane shift through this.”

“Should we try?” asks Tao. “I can do that, or open a gate.”

“This might be the wrong time to experiment,” says Galthia with a shake of his angular head. “If something goes wrong, it could endanger us all.”

Agar frowns. “He’s probably right,” he apologizes to Tao, “as much as I hate to admit it. Summoning spells might be difficult, too. We’ll have to find out. But at least we know now why no one was answering our sendings.”

“Because they’re all dead?” muses Priggle sotto voce.

“It’s more than that, though,” says Malachite, not having heard the deep gnome. “My attempts to detect undead aren’t working, either.” Agar shrugs philosophically.

“What can you do? It should fade in time.”

“How much time?”

“I have no idea. Sometime between a week and a year, I’d guess.”

Malachite shakes his head once, back and forth. “We must keep faith. I’m more worried about the darkness.”

“Yeah? Well, me too, but I’m also worried about where these tired bones are going to sleep tonight.” Velendo takes one more suspicious look at the chaos behind the open planar door, sighs, and slams it shut. “Come on. Let’s use the Flickering Needle, and keep watches.”

“Proper watches?” asks Splinder. His beard twitches, and he raises a mailed fist to hide a tiny smile. “It’s a step in the right direction. Next thing you know, we’ll be eating actual salt pork and hard tack instead of that decadent banquet food that the Castle normally produces!” He nods in thorough approval. “The troops were getting soft. I just wish we were to be in open caverns instead of this portable fortress.” Behind him, one of the dwarves snorts sarcastically.

“Be careful,” Priggle says philosophically. “I’m sure we’ll get there.”

They watch as Tao pulls the heavy iron cube out of her pack. Setting it down and standing back, she says the command word, and the cube ratchets open to double its size, then quadruple. The fortress grows larger by the second. Tao says a second command word, and the iron door clanks upwards. One by one the group files into their sanctuary, and the black metal door clanks shut behind them.

Other than the howling wind, the pitch-black cavern is silent.

The night passes quietly for those inside the Daern’s Instant Fortress, other than the sound of the icy wind outside and the total lack of light. In fact, once Agar’s mass darkvision spell wears off in the early hours of the morning, all the surface dwellers but Stone Bear are virtually blind.

Tao doesn’t sleep, though. She stays up in a state of deep meditation instead, her prayers drowned out by the thrumming of the wind against the cold metal of the tower walls. “Galanna, I offer myself to you,” she implores, emerald eyes turned towards heaven as she calls to her Goddess through the darkness and the miles of stone above her. “I am nothing, but even the smallest ant can help move the mountain. Take from me, if you so desire, for I am your servant and your agent on Spira. My strength is your strength. Draw from me, if I am worthy.” Over and over, deeper in prayer than she’s ever been before, repeating her invocation to the unnatural wind and the everpresent stone, even as the night stretches out before her and the heat dies from the fireplace embers that still refuse to shed light.

In the long, dark slow time of the early morning, her prayers are answered.

Tao’s mounting sense of dread is kept in check by her faith, but the taint of Imbindarla’s death weighs heavily on her soul. As she prays, Tao feels an empathy for Galanna’s pain, and she desperately works to understand what it must be like to have to kill one that is family. Yet another prayer… and suddenly Tao understands, and it is as if a dam has broken, for the full magnitude of Galanna’s sorrow and despair washes over the Knight of the Horn. The difference between Tao’s and Galanna’s grief is as the tiniest stream to the largest river, and for a timeless second Tao feels like her heart may burst.

Then she feels a torrent of utter and incomprehensible bliss, and the ocean of sorrow drains away from her all at once, leaving behind a tide of warmth and reassurance that fills Tao with joy. Galanna’s touch falls from her, drawing with it the gift that Tao had offered, and Tao falls to her knees. Face pale but heart singing, through her cascading tears she sees the faint coals in the fireplace in front of her. “Light!” she thinks, head still reeling, and she hears a metal door clang open somewhere down the hall.

“Dawn!” clamors Mara, voice cloudy with sleep but nevertheless triumphant. “It’s dawn! Somewhere above us, the sun has just risen! Praise Aeos!”

Still kneeling in prayer, Tao smiles to herself. “Aeos, schmaeos,” she thinks. “Galanna did that, perhaps with my aid. Let’s see what the snotty paladin thinks of that.” Holding that thought close, Tao finally falls deeply asleep.

To be continued…

Last edited:

Sagiro

Rodent of Uncertain Parentage
Re: Velendo's strength

porthos said:
Sagiro,

Here's something I've always wondered about Velendo's strength - did you start play with a 6? I'm pretty sure you started him at his advanced age (don't tell him I said that), but I've always wondered if the low strength was due to an in-game event or if he was created like that purely for flavor. Or did you just get one crappy roll during character creation and make the best of it? :)

You remember correctly that Velendo started out as an oldish character -- 49 yrs, I believe. His STR was 8 at the time.

If you look on page 93 of the PH, you'll see that when a human turns 53, he loses 2 points from every physical stat, and gains 1 to every mental stat. Thus the 6 STR. (That's also why I've put two of my four level-based ability increases into CON and DEX -- I wanted to get back the lost AC and HP from aging!)

Random STR-related story: right at the end of the Comet Cycle (when we saved the world the first time), Velendo and his then-8 STR ended up wrestling mano-a-mano with Dale Greldin, a supremely evil and powerful cleric of Imbindarla. We we rolling around atop a horizontally-placed wall of force that I had used to cover up a huge pit. (And hundreds of feet below us, at the bottom of that pit, were some of the life-destroying worms that had annihilated every last thing on the planet eons earlier. It was a pretty epic plot*)

Anyway, I was an actual Proxy of Calphas at the time, and the touch of my holy shield was burning him badly. On the other hand, he had some evil cleric mojo of his own, and the touch of his hands was permanently draining my STR from 8 to 6.

After that I adventured with a 6 STR until I finally found someone to cast greater restoration on me. (Lesser spells were ineffective.) That brought my STR back to 8 for a brief time, until age knocked it back down again.

* - kind of like the one we're in now, but less grim and dangerous.

-Sagiro

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
The next few days of travel go fairly smoothly. There is some cautious scouting to avoid the invisible black mist known as Imbindarla’s Breath, a few simple victories against giant beetles and rat-like underdark pests, and some difficult climbing through narrow crevices and across delicate rock bridges. Despite temptation, no one tosses a rock into any of these “bottomless” holes to see how far down it goes, and so the crossings go smoothly.

During this time, Agar manages to master a spell in Nulloc Toadbringer’s former book Acimer’s Divinatory. “Got it!” he smiles triumphantly during a rest break. “I’ve been wrestling with some of the spell formulae in the spell vision cascade, but I think I’ve got it now. Let’s find out.”

“What’s it do?” asks Tao.

“It disassembles my mind to find out what I’m interested in, then it goes out and sweeps the world,” says Agar without even the faintest trace of concern. “When it finds something that I’d probably be interested in, I’ll generally have a vision. It also helps me see the immediate future in combat, but it’s a lot less powerful in that sense. The spell lasts for a full day, so with any luck it’ll give us glimpses of people and places I know!”

“Cool,” says Nolin, raising his eyebrows. “Most other divinations are being stifled by Imbindarla’s death. You think this one will be any different?”

“I can only hope so,” says Agar as he casts the spell. “Ooh, it tingles.”

Everyone stares at the halfling, but he doesn’t immediately begin to prophesize or speak in tongues. After a minute, Priggle lets loose a disappointed sigh. “That’s it, is it?”

Agar looks a bit cross, and on his shoulder Proty chitters in annoyance. “Look, it isn’t as if…” In the middle of the sentence, the halfling alienist keels over backwards, his eyes rolling up in his head. The group rushes towards him, but he’s already sitting up.

“Whooo,” Agar says.

“What’d you see?”

“A couple of different things. There were a few young adventurers, looking like they’d gotten the you-know-what kicked out of them, sitting outside of a cave entrance and staring at the setting sun. Then there was a baby crying – I think it was sick. And a huge battlefield, strewn with thousands of skeletal bones and human corpses.” He turns to Mara and Malachite. “They were wearing the uniforms of your church’s army.”

Mara exhales an anxious breath of air out of her nose; from where he’s sitting up, Agar can scent its freshness, like flowers in the sun. “Who won?”

Agar shakes his head. I couldn’t tell. I didn’t see anything moving at all.”

Malachite clenches his fists, knuckles cracking. “Then perhaps it wasn’t the undead who were victorious.”

Galthia scouts far in front of the group, easing from shadow to shadow like the faintest whisper. He pauses next to a tall stalagmite and sniffs, his flattened nose twitching in the darkness. His eyebrows narrow, and he turns to silently slip back to the rest of the group.

“Trouble,” he says brusquely as he slips out of the shadows. “I can smell ghouls.” Everyone exchanges a worried look, and weapons are loosened in their sheaths.

“Did you actually see anything?” asks Malachite, frowning.

“No. Didn’t need to.” He gestures for the others to follow, and turns to retrace his steps. Moments later, all of the Defenders are outside the same stalagmite, and they too smell the sickly sweet stench of decaying flesh. Priggle and Velendo examine the walls with a careful eye, and they eventually note a spot where the stone grain is slightly different: an expertly constructed secret door, set high on the wall and designed to pivot out into the corridor. With caution, Galthia eases it open, and the hideous scent of rotting meat floods the narrow tunnel. Even with the everpresent wind whisking it away, the odor is enough to sicken most of the adventurers present.

Tao boosts herself up to look in, gags, and chokes down her bile as she slides back down. “Not much living in here,” she says thickly. “I’ll see if I can figure out what happened.” She grimaces, and then vaults into the opening with one smooth and graceful movement. Galthia and a few other Defenders follow, themselves clambering into the hidden fortress.

And a fortress it is; it’s quickly apparent that this is a ghoulish staging area, designed to hold several hundred troops in a spot that would give them quick access to Akin’s Throat and its network of convenient passages. Not so much any more, though; now it’s an abbatoir, a graveyard filled with the sprawled and scattered bodies of dozens of undead. Tao’s experienced eye slowly picks patterns out of the seemingly random chaos.

“See over there?” She gestures to Galthia. “These ghouls seem to have spontaneously dropped in their tracks. That must have happened when Imbindarla died. Now, these ghouls probably went insane…”

“Or suddenly, coldly sane,” says Galthia quietly. “Briefly.”

Tao swallows. “They’ve rended their own flesh, their faces, their eyes. They mostly killed themselves, one way or another.” They move deeper into the reeking, fly-filled excavation. “Now these ghouls over here look like they fought one another. This was an intelligent battle. This ghoul here,” she indicates a sludgy track in the rancid mud, “won. He killed these creatures, then went around putting other ghouls out of their misery. It looks like he was attacked by a wizard as well.” She lifts her head and looks around, finally noting a ghoul impaled on a stalagmite. “That one there.”

“Shhh!” says Galthia. They freeze, and then Tao hears it also. Creeaaak… creeaaak….

They round a pillar, and the source of the noise dangles before them. An elven ghoul hangs by a noose of braided hair, swaying slowly back and forth. Flies buzz about it, rising and falling as it moves. Creeaaak…

“By the prophets,” murmurs Galthia. Then the corpse opens its eyes.

“Kill me!” Its voice is clotted and hard to understand, choked off by the noose. It twitches spasmodically. “I can not do it myself. Kill me!”

Tao’s eyes narrow. “You did.. this?” She waves a hand.

The ghoul shrugs or nods, setting his whole body to swinging. “Some fell,” he gurgles. “Some went insane when they learned what they had become. I had to kill the ones that remained. Some still loved…” it chokes off. “Still loved what we were. What we are. They had to die.” His teeth part in a feral, deadly grin. “Painfully. But I can’t seem to kill myself. Please, end this. Please.”

Tao and Galthia exchange a look, and Tao nods. “Then be at peace.” She swings her sword.

It’s two days later when the abyssal caverns begin to show signs of life. The group has passed a completely abandoned troglodyte cavern, and they’ve heard quite a bit of scuttling and odd noises off in the darkness, but nothing has molested them. Now the passage that they follow widens dramatically. Galthia is once again scouting ahead, and he descends a steep slope towards what he first thinks is a dead end.

Not quite.

Crouched in the shadows, his sight first falls on a relatively new gong, a huge piece of copper the size of a full grown man. Behind it the floor slopes steeply upwards into a near-vertical wall, even as the ceiling rises at an equal rate. It is as if some god idly grasped the straight corridor and bent it almost straight upwards. There are marks of some sort of cable or creature on the mossy stone slope before him, and an occasional cracked and chewed bone that must have been tossed down from above.

As the rest of the group arrives, they discuss the best path for proceeding. Fly up to the top? Climb the extremely steep slope on their own? Ring the gong? They remain locked in mental conversation for some time, long enough for the dwarves to call for an official rest break and sit down to rest. Mara finally loses patience and does the honorable thing. “No need to trespass,” she reasons, and hammers the gong as hard as she can. It booms out into the darkness.

“Wha..?” Velendo’s head snaps up from where he had been debating strategy with Malachite and Nolin.

“Look sharp, folks,” says Mara. “Whoever is up there, I think I just got their attention.”

The sound of heavy wings slaps at the darkness as the gong’s ringing fades. With palpable thuds, several creatures land on the cavern floor to both the right and left of Mara. A grinding moan reaches her ears, but with just her darkvision Mara can’t see what they are; they’ve landed outside of the spell’s 60’ range. The paladin utters a short prayer and golden light rises from her holy shield. The creatures she sees in the rising light are roughly the size of horses, apparently stone with hawk wings and a hawk’s head. They look a bit like overgrown gargoyles, if gargoyles had eyes that glowed with orange fire. They stare at her.

From above, a deep voice echoes down. “Thuglid! Grbak hoksuk ner telblin!”

“Damn it!” swears Nolin. “Too far away for my cloakpin to translate. Anyone understand them?” Agar casts tongues, even as Tao’s face grows red.

“Oh, I understand him,” she growls. “It’s a giant.”

Velendo rolls his eyes. “Well, don’t kill it. We don’t know what we’re dealing with here.” Tao begins to smile, and Velendo adds, “OR offend it so that we have to kill it.” Her smile promptly vanishes, to be replaced with a disappointed frown.

“Party pooper.”

Except for Nolin and Mara, the Defenders draw back into the deep shadows. Standing by the gong, Mara calls up in undercommon. “Can you understand me?”

The voice calls back down, reverberating from the stone. “Yah. No you move! I me down to gather toll.” There is a faint grunt, and a minute later a thick rope hawser skitters down the near-vertical slope. The rope is quickly followed by a hideously misshapen parody of life. At first, the form looks human. . . but it’s soon apparent how wrong that impression really is. The fishbelly-white giant descending hand-over-hand is horribly malformed; half of its face droops down towards its neck, it only has one ear, and the frail beginnings of a third arm juts from its right shoulder. The creature has muscles and scar tissue to spare, and its sharpened teeth indicate that it is far from docile, but it doesn’t immediately attack after dropping the last fifteen feet. Instead it grunts, crouches, and studies the group with its largest, bulging eye.

“Oh great,” says Tao sotto voce. “A giant AND an abomination. May I kill it now? Please?”

“Hello,” begins Mara cautiously, drowning out Tao. “Who are you?”

The formorian giant’s throat vibrates in a low rumble as it makes a complicated gesture with its hands. “Grgl.”

There’s a pause as the Defenders look at one another. “I don’t know if that’s a name,” whispers Nolin. “I think it is. But maybe he just has gas.”

“I see, Grgl,” continues Mara politely. “We’d like to pass.”

It snorts. “Course you want. We warned. You go, you pay toll.”

“What kind of toll?”

Nolin breaks in, stepping forward next to Mara. Standing next to one another, the two look radiant in the flickers of fire coming off of the bard; their teeth and eyes gleam as over 44 points of focused charisma begins to work their magic on the dull giant. Nolin smiles politely. “And who warned you, if I may ask?” The giant looks back and forth from one to another, somewhat confused. “You may answer her first,” allows Nolin considerately, and the giant nods heavily.

“Magic items,” it says as it looks at Mara. “Things of magic.” It nods again, its misshapen head bobbling on the end of its thick neck. “Powerful and expensive.” Then its head swivels towards Nolin. “Rotting things warned us.”

Nolin blinks. “What?”

“Rotting things. Ghouls. They said you bad, and gave much tribute so that we kill you.” At this a mental rumble arises from all the mindlinked heroes.

“Are you still going to kill us?”

The giant stares at him with a beetled brow. “Not my decision.” It shrugs, setting its growths to wobbling. “You pay, we let you pass.” It glances over to the winged gargoyle-things, which are still prowling around the edges of the group’s darkvision, and smiles slightly.

“And whose decision is it?”

“Thulk’s. This is Thulk’s Wall.” The giant looks proud, and perhaps a little scared.

Mara grasps her rod of leadership, a magic item gained back in Eversink that makes her even more commanding than she already is. She takes a few steps forward, looking up from the giant’s backwards-bending knees up towards its hideous face. “Now, we’re going to go destroy those ghouls, and they’re never going to bother you again,” she croons. “Why don’t you just let us pass without payment?”

The giant looks worried. “Ghouls not bother. Give mighty tribute for passage back and forth. Make us rich.” Back in the shadows, Stone Bear’s eye twitches slightly; he isn’t especially materialistic, but the thought of huge amounts of mgic and loot excites a quiet little part of his soul.

“Well, once we’ve killed them, anything they have could be yours, if you wanted to go get it,” reasons Mara. She catches and holds the giant’s eyes in an unbreakable gaze. “You wouldn’t be sorry. And what we’re doing is really important.”

“It is,” agrees Nolin in seething envy, gazing out of the corner of his eye at Mara’s +6 cloak of charisma. “Say, do you know the old giantish song about the rock throwing contest?” He then breaks into a percussion-heavy version of a giantish folk song that emphasizes the message of bargaining with strangers instead of killing them outright. The music sounds amazing in the echoing chamber, and Grgl is clearly entranced. In fact, he’s so entranced that Nolin’s suggestive message of cooperation penetrates his craggy skull. When the song finishes minutes later, he looks down at the bard.

“You right!” exclaims the giant. “We no need kill you. You stay here,” he says to Mara, patting the ground with a thump, “and you! Come talk to Chieftan Thulk!” And before Nolin can say a thing, the formorian snaps a talon-like hand around Nolin’s midriff and hoists him into the air.

“Ummm… Nolin?” asks Tao as the giant begins clambering back up the near-vertical wall with Nolin slung over his shoulder. “Do you want us to help?”

“Nah,” thinks the bard. “This’ll get me in to see the Chieftan. A few fast words, and we’ll be up and over this thing for free.” He watches as the two of them clamber up the stone barrier. Near him, large openings in the stone appear and disappear.

“I’ve found where those gargoyle things live. It looks like there’s a lot of them. I see nests all over this place.”

“Oh, great,” grumbles Velendo. “I’m liking this less and less.”

Next to him, Tao agrees. “We ought to just kill them all.”

Malachite shakes his head. “They may be evil, but they’re not our goal. We can’t afford to waste resources on these creatures instead of on the undead, unless we have no other choice.” He raises his head to try and glimpse Nolin, but the bard is only visible as a flicker of flame hundreds of feet up the wall. “We’ll see what Nolin can do.”

Tao looks at him. “What sort of paladin can pick and choose their evil?”

Malachite shoots her a cold look. “I am a Knight of the Emerald Chapel, and my loyalty to my God is not in question. I have a duty, and we have a more important enemies than these things.” Tao glowers back.

Finally reaching the top, Nolin is unloaded and placed on his feet next to the giant Grgl. He looks up to see that he is surrounded by four other repulsive formorian giants, and the sheer cliff face is at his back. In front of him, behind the ring of guards, are another two dozen giants standing before tall several stone buildings.

One of the foul-looking giants facing Nolin squints, then swears descriptively in giantish. “You idiot, Grgl!” it trumpets. “You know what you were told. None ascend! As the rotting ones said they would, these things have bewitched you!” The giant wiggles a swollen four-knuckled finger as it stumps closer on its wide and bulging legs.

“No!” says Grgl, confused, looking back and forth between his fellow giants and his new friend. “Me fine.”

“Yes,” says the other giant coldly. “I’m sure.”

“Well, actually, I…” Nolin begins, but cuts off his sentence as he desperately tries to duck three incoming great hammers. Two of the formorian guards manage to connect with crushing blows, drawing blood and breaking bones as they slam into Nolin’s shoulder and leg. With a snarl of triumph on his face, the hunchbacked guard captain lets loose a wide and powerful kick which catches Nolin across the belly. The bard is knocked more than ten feet backwards from the blow, and with a thrill of horror he realizes that there’s no ground beneath his feet. His spattering blood tumbles into the darkness beneath him.

Over the mindlink, Nolin thinks, “Oh, shi…”

Like a comet, Nolin falls.

To be continued…

Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Re: Rule One Violations!

Steverooo said:
1) REMEMBER THE GEMSTONE KEY! Hey, in the Dwarven Vaults, before the ghost (the Armory, I believe), they found it. Then, later, Kellharin was telling them about the Ebon Gate being unlocked? SOMEBODY CHECK THE DIVINATIONS!!! :D

2) Nobody uses missile weapons, anymore? Why didn't someone nail the Marilith's hide to the ground before she cast her spells?

3) What happened with Kellharin? Weren't the Defenders supposed to be looking for a replacement? Did this even get mentioned when they returned to the Dwarven Citadel? What happened to him when the Undead One died? Is the Gate even guarded, now?

4) The DoD had TWO willing Ghouls, and never asked either one who the Ivory King is? [Rolls save and Disbelieves]

5) OF COURSE the death of Imbindarla is the explanation for the changes in 3.5e!

6) Where are the bullettes and Cloakers?!?

7) Like most high-level campaigns, this one seems impossible to survive without ultra-high levels of magic... PirateCat, what would you do with a 16th-level Fighter or Rogue, or an 8th/8th Ranger/Rogue, for instance? The ways they could die seem innumerable! Do you rate the challenge to the PCs' abilities, or to the average of the party's? How do (would) you handle magically unskilled PCs?

1. No one has really fussed with that key; I think Nolin is still carrying it around. Whether or not it has any bearing into what's going on isn't something that they've taken (or necessarily had) time to figure out. Hopefully, if it's the dingus that they have to frob in order to win the level, someone will pull it out at the last second and cry, "Hey, Ivory King! I've got your big bad death device RIGHT HERE!" Then they'll stick it in his belly and turn it, and a half-dozen little clowns will come out in tiny cars, and everyone will celebrate.

Err - that's it. No more coffee for me today.

2. "I got yer missile weapon right here.. It's called a fireball." Seriously, this group is virtually without missile capability, other than spells and the highly effective dwarven crossbowmen. Oh well; it's a tactical weakness, but they have other effective tactics. A good flame strike can make up for many an arrow.

3. Revealed in an upcoming installment.

4. They probably did, and I didn't mention it, because they got a response equivalent to "He is our master." Not too helpful.

5. Don't think that hadn't escaped me! But last night we decided to wait until the White Kingdom adventure is over with - another half dozen sessions, perhaps - one way or another. That way we aren't changing spells at a time when everyone needs to know intimately what they do. Heh - the rest of the world has changed, but deep in the underdark, things are a little slower to catch up. :D

6. Busy doing something. Makes you wonder what, doesn't it? They did see a dead bulette killed by the pseudonatural troll, but they haven't fought any.

7. A high-level non-magical PC would do just fine; look at Priggle, Galthia, or Palladio before that. Mind you, rogues have it tough against undead. Such PCs would be best off against single, tough foes; they are less efficient against innumerable, weaker foes. A good adventuring group shores up one another's weaknesses, so a non-magical fighter would still depend on magical and clerical support to help her do her job better.

I think any good DM has to challenge everyone in the group. That means providing a variety of challenges that impact all the players and give them a chance to shine. Example: Wulf brought in a PC with sundering abilities, and you'll see it being really helpful a few sessions from now.

Hope that helps!

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Nolin spins and tumbles as he falls. He considers casting fly, but instinctively realizes that there simply isn’t enough time. “That’s it, then,” he thinks to himself. “I’m going to die.” He tries to prepare himself for the upcoming pain, but there’s a clamor in his head, a noise like a dozen people all shouting at the same time.

Then as the ground speeds towards him, Nolin realizes that the noise is a dozen people all shouting at the same time, only over the mindlink. “Nolin, you idiot!” Tao and Velendo are almost drowning one another out as they try to get the bard’s attention. “You can featherfall!”

“I can featherfall?” Nolin’s brow furrows as the hard stone spins up to meet him. “I…” Almost as if in a dream, he thinks over his first level spells, and suddenly feels horribly embarrassed. “Crap! I can featherfall!”

So he does. About fifteen feet above the ground.

Velendo looks at Nolin with a critical eye as the hyperventilating bard wafts down to the ground. “Cutting it a little close there, weren’t you?”

Nolin shakes his head, trying to bluff even as his breath comes in short gasps. “No, not at all! I was… err…” He is interrupted by shattering stone and the sharp sting of rock fragments against his cheek.

“Incoming!” A second tremendous boulder plummets down from the heights, this one crashing down right next to Nolin. As the Defenders pull back towards cover, the horse-sized gargoyles still circling the group leap forwards to attack. More flap down from their nests on the wall.

Velendo snorts. “I’ve had about enough of this.” He casts a flexible wall above their heads, shielding them from boulders and hedging out most of the gargoyles. Mara, Malachite, Stone Bear and Galthia make short work of the two that remain within the wall. More than a dozen large rocks rain down from on high, but all of them break and bounce away from the invisible shield of force that arcs over the Defenders’ heads.

The boulders let up for a minute, probably while the giants go to find more. “You quite done?” shouts up Velendo. Another barrage of missiles answers his question, but this ceases fairly quickly when it becomes glaringly apparent to the giants that the boulders aren’t doing any actual damage. Outside of the flexible wall, the gargoyles also give up and flap back up into the darkness.

A deep voice echoes down from above, one considerably smarter than the last giant. “We were paid to kill you.”

Velendo rolls his eyes, clearly fed up with the entire situation, and shouts upwards. “I’m sure you were. And I’m sure you would be able to eventually do so. But we’re armed and ready for battle, and we would take several dozen of your people with us. Is that what you really want? Were you paid enough for that?”

Silence. Then more silence.

“Well?”

The deep voice echoes down, deep and booming. “You pay the toll, we will let you pass. Magic items, as you were told. Good ones, for there are many of you.” Slowly, a basket is lowered down from the heights on a rope.

Malachite snorts. “You want us to pay you before we pass?”

The voice laughs sourly. “Pay now, or go away. We might spare your life. Be pleased.”

The Defenders roll their eyes at one another. “How do you know you won’t take our items and then attack us?”

The disdain in the giant’s voice is audible even from a distance. “We care nothing for the ghouls. They are customers, like any. If we were going to kill you, we would do so without asking for payment first.”

“Let ‘em try,” growls Tao.

Nolin turns to the others, and speaks more softly. “We’ve got them.”

Stone Bear looks at the bard, his hollow eye sockets catching the light from Mara’s shield. “How so?” His raven caws and flaps briefly into the air.

“I’m thinking that they already know we could rip them apart. They know the ghouls wanted us stopped, but couldn’t do it themselves. Now their attempt to kill me failed.”

“So?”

“So, I think they’re scared, but they have to maintain face. So they’re letting us buy the way out of the contract.”

“Well, I don’t have much that I want to give away,” says Mara plaintively. “Most of my things are useful.”

“Mine too,” says Agar.

“I don’t really have many magical items,” grumbles Priggle from over in the corner.

“Well, grab potions and bric-a-brak. Let’s see what we have.” Within a minute, the group has gathered a small pile of one-shot items, redundant trinkets and seldom-used weapons. Nolin dumps it into the basket, and watches as the small trove is hauled up.

“That’s IT? Not enough!” The outraged roar comes from above.

Mara shouts back, “Well, you aren’t getting any more! You have already been paid by the ghouls for killing us. Since you aren't completing that contract, you should consider their payment to be our payment. And we are doing you a favor; we plan to destroy the undead once and for all.”

“That is no favor. They pay us to pass, well and often. You kill them – as if you could – we get no more tolls from them.”

“But if we kill them, you can send people to take your pick of their treasures.” Her voice rings with sincerity, and the two groups angrily bargain back and forth for almost half an hour. Finally, the giants reluctantly agree to allow the heroes passage, in exchange for a handful of additional magical miscellania.

“I have no idea what they’re going to do with these things,” wonders Agar with doubt in his voice as he slowly ascends the steep wall, hauled upwards on a coach-sized sledge that slides up the wall on two huge cables. “It’s not like they can use a lot of the one-shot items we gave them unless they have a wizard amongst them.” The sledge chunks into a space at the top of the ascent, and the first of the Defenders steps off before the sledge descends for the second of four loads. “Let’s face it, I…” He pauses and swallows. “Oh.”

Surrounding the small group is close to two dozen misshapen giants, all of them with heavy spears or oversized boulders. At the forefront of the giants, surrounded by another half-dozen malformed giants in piecemeal armor, is an evil abomination leaning on a tremendous steel scythe. This giant is old, old enough for his prodigious nose- and ear-hair to have turned white, but his muscles still ripple unnaturally and his one eye glares in distrust. As Agar watches, he holds up several of the group’s less powerful offerings and crushes them with one anvil-sized fist. Magical energy courses up his arm and into his body, and Agar’s true seeing spells watches the spent magic somehow get consumed by the giant’s muscle fiber.

“Heh.. hi?” squeaks the halfling.

To be continued...

Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
“I’m still not convinced that I shouldn’t slaughter you where you stand,” says the old giant in perfect undercommon, speaking in a gravelly voice. He eyes the prodigious magical armor and items that the Defenders are sporting with a revolted sneer. “I’d be doing you a favor. That magic is poison. It weakens the soul, makes you vulnerable, makes you weak.” Galthia and Stone Bear have to agree to a certain extent, but the holy sword Karthos vibrates angrily in Malachite’s grasp. “I haven’t made that mistake.”

“I’ll take that chance,” says Tao with gritted teeth. She stares at the giant’s face, as if memorizing it. The huge formorian giant stares back at her, amused, and runs one thick finger along the edge of his scythe. He takes in her magical armor and weapons, and his face starts to become mottled.

“We’ll be going, I think, as soon as our companions are up here.” Mara changes the subject and gracefully intercedes, stepping between the chieftan and Tao. Grgl, the giant who had first spoken to her and Nolin, stares at her with an unreadable expression but says nothing. The wait is extremely uncomfortable. Mara and Malachite are keenly aware that these creatures are probably evil, but as Nolin says, ‘It’s a keep-to-yourself kind of evil.’ They do try to keep some sort of order down here, Mara rationalizes to herself as she looks around worriedly. Her ability to actually detect evil is still being stymied by Imbindarla’s death, but she doesn’t like their looks. And they aren’t attacking us with surprise – yet. Just as well; our tactical position would be horrible.

Finally, the entire group of dwarves and adventurers have been raised to the top of the wall. The group is slowly lowered down the far side of the precipice, piece by piece. They keep expecting an attack, but none comes. The waiting is irritating. “I know they wanted our items,” Stone Bear says, his raven sitting on his shoulder backwards so as to watch behind him. “I don’t trust them. I’ve seen people like that chieftan before. We call his type forsakers, because they get more powerful by destroying magic instead of using it.”

“Maybe we convinced them we’d be more trouble than we’re worth,” reasons Velendo. “In any case, let's march. The farther we’re from here, the better.”

The next day is uneventful other than a meeting with a half-orc who tried to hide from the group. Named Shaw, the man turns out to be quite the explorer. “Why’d you hide from us?” asks Tao as they chat, magical divinations and standard suspicion-testing completed. Shaw looks at her, amused.

“Wouldn’t YOU hide from you?” His dark eyes twinkle, and he snorts. “I get through the underdark by being careful, polite and sneaky. Avoiding large groups of people is usually the best tactic.”

“But you got past the giants?” asks Stone Bear.

“Paid ‘em off,” answers Shaw, “just like everyone does. And I’ve snuck past three groups of ghouls. This is nowhere as bad as the Abyss is.”

Nolin and Agar perk up. “You’ve been to the Abyss?”

“Sure,” the half-orc gestures with both hands. “I’ve traveled the planes. You ever been to Sigil?”

“You bet!” exclaims Agar, and the rest of the Defenders gather round as well.

“I love it there, but it’s a little crowded. I don’t know if you know about it, but right now the modrons are marching. I actually got to follow them for a few months! Best decision I ever made. I had some amazing adventures, met some fascinating people, and got some treasure I couldn’t be happier with.” He smiles contentedly.

“Do you know why they’re marching?” asks Nolin, his voice sour.

“Got some theories,” considers Shaw, “but I promised someone I wouldn’t talk about them. Where you headed now?”

“The kuo-toa city somewhere ahead,” answers Velendo, as Nolin swears quietly behind him.

“Oh, Glubyal! Me too. There’s a small village outside it named Glig. That’s where I’ll probably stay tonight.” They talk while walking, discussing sights that they’ve seen and things that they’ve done, as well as the current state of underdark politics. Shaw has an insightful mind, and offers some opinions on what the ghouls dying or withdrawing might mean to the other civilizations nearby. “I’ve heard rumors that there’s a rebellion in Glubal right now, the rightful King and his ghoul allies against some rebel who thinks that ghouls are an insult to the Sea Mother. Ought to make for an exciting visit.”

Shaw and Tao even chase each other around for a bit, Shaw demonstrating a trick he picked up on Limbo of dimension dooring by bending space around him. All in all, the hike is more interesting than most, and by the time they reach Glig they’re sorry to see him go.

“Is there much farther to… ugh!” Velendo wrinkles his nose. “What’s that smell? It stinks like month-old fish.”

Shaw gestures down the wide cave tunnel, smiling and showing his small tusks. “You see those gates up ahead?” Velendo squints, peers into the darkness, and eventually nods. “The smell is always the first clue that you’re nearing kuo-toa. My friends, welcome to the town of Glig.”

To be continued…

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads