• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Placing Weapon Enhancements Upon Natural Attacks?

Wyvernhand

First Post
arms and equipment guide provided rules for bracers of armor trading +'s for abilities, don't see why you can't do the same thing for AoMF

There is no reason you can't OTHER than the fact that it says you can't. As with anything else, a DM can override anything.

If you have 7 natural attacks, I'd go with Wounding. 1 con/hit results in 7 con per round lost. That's, assuming an even starting con score, 4 HP/HD lost on the first full attack, 3 HP/HD on the second. On your average 10 HD creature, that's 40 HP lost to Con loss on top of the normal damage delt. Contrast that with Collision, which gives a flat +5 damage, and you are ahead as long as most things you fight have ~10+ HD, pulling further ahead as HD climb. Granted, wounding doesn't work on everything like Collision does, and Collision has the added benefit of multiplying on a critical, but Wounding also lowers fort saves, setting up 1-2 combo punches with other abilities like Stunning Fist, Finger of Death, or even something simple like Staggering Strike.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
If you're open to 3rd party products, check out Hands as Weapons, a Feat from the Arcana Unearhed/Arcana Evolved RPG. Those who take the Feat can enchant their unarmed strikes.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
Well force is something specific for bows. A +2 enhancement on the Necklace of natural attacks for 7 comes to 56,600. You should look into Synergy properties in the MIC rather than stacking as normal those that have the signature allows to treat the weapon as the larger of the two enhancements. A few which actually are equal these being the energy surge qualities. These require the respective energies properties but you get to add another 3d6 damage worth of x energy for 1+con. mod. times a day per weapon. Charging(+1) adds another 2d6 and Valorous(+1) adds x2 multiplier both on a charge. Magebane is always good as there are many things with spell and spell-like abilities. Sure Striking(+1) is an enchantment that automatically aligns against the foes for damage reduction. Metalline(+2) allows to treat it as any metal for damage reduction. If you have room the Shape Soulmeld Crystal Helm can make things easier against outer dimensional foes.

Your suggestions are like finding goodies in my Christmas stocking. Thank you!

If you have 7 natural attacks, I'd go with Wounding. 1 con/hit results in 7 con per round lost. That's, assuming an even starting con score, 4 HP/HD lost on the first full attack, 3 HP/HD on the second. On your average 10 HD creature, that's 40 HP lost to Con loss on top of the normal damage delt. Contrast that with Collision, which gives a flat +5 damage, and you are ahead as long as most things you fight have ~10+ HD, pulling further ahead as HD climb. Granted, wounding doesn't work on everything like Collision does, and Collision has the added benefit of multiplying on a critical, but Wounding also lowers fort saves, setting up 1-2 combo punches with other abilities like Stunning Fist, Finger of Death, or even something simple like Staggering Strike.

Now That's where the money is at. I'll stat that out shortly and see how it fits the build, which I'm expecting with be fantastic. Longtooth Elite already grants 1 point of CON damage on the bite, no save. Phase Cloak soulmeld does a 1d3 poison, fort save. Wounding would be ludicrous, and pretty awesome.

...and cheaper, because I'd only need to add it to 6 natural weapons (4 Girallon Arms, 2 Lamia Belt feet) instead of 7.

There has got to be a way to build a vorpal bunny...

When you get that figured out, let me know, I'd love to throw it at my players.

If you're open to 3rd party products, check out Hands as Weapons, a Feat from the Arcana Unearhed/Arcana Evolved RPG. Those who take the Feat can enchant their unarmed strikes.

No can do, me and mine don't do 3rd party (except for a short stint into Conan, but that's another story). Books, magazines and official D&D web content. But feel free to keep the ideas coming!

Last edited:

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
Necklace of Natural Attacks, Savage Species
I just have to point out the awesomeness of the explanatory text in Savage Species for this item,
Savage Species p.58 said:
"For instance, a +1 Throwing Returning Necklace of Natural Weapons would apply it's enhancement bonus and the throwing and returning special abilities to one or more of the wearer's natural weapons."

Link emphasis mine, obviously.

Now, I don't know if there's some goofy difference between 3.0 "throwing and returning" and 3.5 "returning", but in 3.5, this means your frikkin hands come off as you hurl them at your opponents. But it's ok, because they come back!

Tail attack goes flying. Hilarious.

A bite attack causes you to loose your teeth.

Does your whole head fly off with a horn attack, or do you just fire them like missiles?

....This is just further confirmation that Savage Species was made by people smoking Cotton Candy.

Last edited:

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
Very anime, dontcha think?
mazinger-rocket-punch_1398.jpg

Rocket Punch!

emoplato

First Post
I just have to point out the awesomeness of the explanatory text in Savage Species for this item,

Link emphasis mine, obviously.

Now, I don't know if there's some goofy difference between 3.0 "throwing and returning" and 3.5 "returning", but in 3.5, this means your frikkin hands come off as you hurl them at your opponents. But it's ok, because they come back!

Tail attack goes flying. Hilarious.

A bite attack causes you to loose your teeth.

Does your whole head fly off with a horn attack, or do you just fire them like missiles?

....This is just further confirmation that Savage Species was made by people smoking Cotton Candy.
Heck, who says they have to come back, add Fleshgrinding and Bloodfeeding on Blood/Kuthrik claws! They are soulmelds and don't have hit points and often are moving/changing in the descriptions for all we know they just might grow back. I say they are fine where they are:devil:.

Last edited:

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
Heck, who says they have to come back, add Fleshgrinding and Bloodfeeding on Blood/Kuthrik claws! They are soulmelds and don't have hit points and often are moving/changing in the descriptions for all we know they just might grow back. I say they are fine where they are:devil:.
To Quote Jafar to Iago, "I love the way your foul little mind works."

Wyvernhand

First Post
Doesn't have to say its not allowed, its directly implied by the absence of any other abilities.

SRD said:
Amulet of Mighty Fists

This amulet grants an enhancement bonus of +1 to +5 on attack and damage rolls with unarmed attacks and natural weapons.
Faint evocation; CL 5th; Craft Wondrous Item, greater magic fang, creator’s caster level must be at least three times the amulet’s bonus; Price 6,000 gp (+1), 24,000 gp (+2), 54,000 gp (+3), 96,000 gp (+4), 150,000 gp (+5).

Doesn't say anything about adding non-enhancement effects, or even that it can be enchanted like a weapon with normal weapon enchants. If it doesn't have an explicit override like Bracers of Armor in the A&EG, then it doesn't include anything other than what is specified, which is +1, +2, +3, +4, and +5 enhancement bonuses only.

Still, it says it there, clear enough, if you just read what it says.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads