Planescape PLANESCAPE Classic Setting in PDF

Fans of Planescape will be pleased to know that WotC is now offering a PDF of the 1994 AD&D 2nd Edition campaign setting by Dvid "Zeb" Cook for only $9.99. Nearly 300 pages, and featuring art including that of Tony DiTerlizzi, Planescape was an iconic setting which later inspired a popular video game (Planescape: Torment) and introduced gamers to Sigil, the City of Doors.

Fans of Planescape will be pleased to know that WotC is now offering a PDF of the 1994 AD&D 2nd Edition campaign setting by Dvid "Zeb" Cook for only $9.99. Nearly 300 pages, and featuring art including that of Tony DiTerlizzi, Planescape was an iconic setting which later inspired a popular video game (Planescape: Torment) and introduced gamers to Sigil, the City of Doors.

Discover the multiverse! Enter infinite universes of infinite variety, worlds beyond the prime-material settings of the AD&D game. Explore Sigil, the City of Doors, filled with portals to every layer of every plane. All you need is the right key, including. . .

A Player's Guide to the Planes: A 32-page primer that introduces DMs and players alike to the grand design of the multiverse.
A DM's Guide to the Planes: A 64-page book of valuable information solely for the Dungeon Master.
Sigil and Beyond: A 96-page gazetteer that introduces Sigil and its surrounding plane as the starting point for planar adventures. From Sigil all the Outer Planes may be sampled by novice and veteran explorers alike.
Monstrous Supplement: a 32-page, full-color Monstrous Compendium booklet.
Four poster-size maps depicting the planes.
A four-panel DM screen designed especially for planar campaigns.

Until now, only the most powerful wizards could peek into the magnificent multiverse, but no longer! Gone are the unimaginable distances and the insurmountable obstacles that only the ultrapowerful could hope to overcome. Now even the greenest adventurer can enter the planes, though surviving long is another matter . . . .

Have at it, berk! Powers, proxies, planars, petitioners, and wondrous monsters await just beyond the portal. Step through and partake of the infinite excitement of Planescape.

You'll find it right here!

TSR2600_Planescape_Campaign_Setting.jpg

msDarkSage

Villager
Yeah...most of the old settings are in digital print now, makes one wonder what they could do for new support...
FR also has lots of books in PDF, and as we can see, the intend to release new materials for it. They, as a company, see that not all people would know about old digital books and would rather buy new edition materials.

Tyranthraxus

Explorer
They are? While plenty of people have talked about the new FRCS, is still hasnt been confirmed. In fact It would surprise me if the setting information we get comes with these new 'Adventure Paths' ... or rather Modules we are getting.

Nebulous

Legend
I personally don't really have a need for a new FR setting book. But I've never been a hardcore FR fan. I've used it, sure, and quite extensively since the little Grey Box, but I don't care about canon. I just thought it had awesome maps and cool sounding locales, and that was good enough. What we're probably NOT getting are massive, sprawling, living-room sized wall maps like we did in 2e.

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
I don't understand this pervasive idea that reprinting the existing fluff with updated rules is somehow better for the community or the hobby than printing /new/ fluff with /new/ rules. Planescape is indescribably vast (almost as vast as the Forgotten Realms *rimshot*) and there is so much that could be done for 5th Edition if the designers don't feel like they have to rehash what has already been done.

So keep the PDF reprints coming. I'd personally love to see new setting material directly reference these products, to heal the continuity shattered by edition reboots. New products have always advanced the timeline and given implied legitimacy to earlier edition materials -- it's time to do more than imply that legitimacy.

And give me my comprehensive map of Sigil! None of this tiling, decorative, wishy-washy nonsense! Get Schley on it!

...Also, YEAH, PLANESCAPE!

Parmandur

Book-Friend
They could do new adventures, website support, new novels, a new videogame, etc. Lots of options....not all of which cost a lot of money. They just have to have the will to do so...

What I meant was, why do a new setting supplement when all the old box sets are available? New adventures may be all they end up doing, a campaign setting book might be viable if it has to compete with older books that cover the same fluff (and fluff is system neutral).

Parmandur

Book-Friend
FR also has lots of books in PDF, and as we can see, the intend to release new materials for it. They, as a company, see that not all people would know about old digital books and would rather buy new edition materials.

They have stated that support is on the way, yet they have been extremely hesitant to define what form it might take. They have definitely not announced a new FRCS, and as it stands they have the 2E box set, 3E campaign setting, and the 4E campaign setting in PDF, let alone innumerable highly specific Realms source books. Given their recent releases, the 1E box might be available in the near future.

Are they going to do a new campaign setting book, when anybody playing 5E can use older fluff? I personally would buy box sets, but it might not be fiscally feasible for WOTC...

I wonder if the timing is coincidental, or they are releasing PDFs (or are they re-releases of PDFs available previously?) to satisfy gamers who want settings other than Forgotten Realms?

Remove ads

Remove ads