Planescape Planescape IS D&D Says Jeremy Crawford

Front & center In 2024 core rulebooks.

Planescape is Jeremy Crawford's favourite D&D setting. "It is D&D", he says, as he talks about how in the 2024 core rulebook updates Planescape will be more up front and center as "the setting of settings".

darjr

I crit!
Planescape IS D&D and is a setup for the 2024 rule books.

Some quotes from Jeremy Crawford...

Opening thoughts: "Planescape in many ways... is my favorite D&D setting because Planescape is D&D. It is the one setting that touches every other setting. Because Planescape is the backdrop for the entire D&D multiverse."

Speaking about 2024 plans: "As we worked on Planescape, we were preparing it at the same time we were working on the 2024 rulebooks. We see it as a critical setup for those books, because those books are going to have the D&D multiverse even more front and center than in 2014."

"In the art of the new books, we've intentionally put in characters & locations from D&D's classic settings, beings that you can meet in the Planescape books just around the corner of coming out, they will also be present in the material for the 2024 core rulebooks and beyond. So Planescape, for me, is a connection not only to all the worlds of the multiverse, but it also connects to the whole history of the game."

Speaking on usability of Planescape: Adventures in the Multiverse: "There is material here that is useful for whatever Material Plane world you play in. The creatures that appear in the bestiary of Adventures in the Multiverse - those creatures can burst into any world. The plots that are unveiled in the adventure book - those plots can affect any world in the multiverse. And then in the setting book, what you learn about the Outlands... what happens there can affect any campaign. So I see this, when it comes to our setting books, I see Planescape as the toy box most brimming with things that are useful no matter what campaign setting you use, including if that campaign setting is your home setting."

Last edited:

Planescape IS D&D and is a setup for the 2024 rule books.

So Planescape is the new Core Setting, instead of FR? Does that mean FR can has a proper setting book like Eberron and Exandria?

I do wish Jeremy had given more concrete examples of what he meant about Planescape in the core books.

Can we expect a manual of the Planes?

Will the 2024 MM have the rest of the Guardinals and Archons?
And other Fiends, Celestials, Elementals, and Fey?

darjr

I crit!
So Planescape is the new Core Setting, instead of FR? Does that mean FR can has a proper setting book like Eberron and Exandria?

I do wish Jeremy had given more concrete examples of what he meant about Planescape in the core books.

Can we expect a manual of the Planes?

Will the 2024 MM have the rest of the Guardinals and Archons?
And other Fiends, Celestials, Elementals, and Fey?
I wouldn’t be surprised if the DMG turns out to be a Manual of the Planes. Another reason their cartographers have been suspiciously very busy.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Um, how about no? I don't need someone else saying "this has to be the way it's going to be." If I want to chuck FR, Ravenloft, Planescape or Dark Sun out the window in favor of the cosmology of my homebrew, that's the way it used to be and how it should be.
Who says you can’t? I think “you’re not allowed to homebrew D&D any more” is something you’re adding yourself, not something anybody has said.

Remove ads

Remove ads