Planescape Planescape IS D&D Says Jeremy Crawford

Front & center In 2024 core rulebooks.

Planescape is Jeremy Crawford's favourite D&D setting. "It is D&D", he says, as he talks about how in the 2024 core rulebook updates Planescape will be more up front and center as "the setting of settings".

Vaalingrade

Legend
No

You could model it that way, but then there’s no good reason not to call Ceres, Eris, Makemake, and Haumea planets, and soon to be dozens more with the improvements in telescopes.
That was my point. Including our other planets would have been more complicated than deleting Pluto. Also, Nyx IIRC.

Dire Bare

Legend
OTOH, Oct 3rd Techraptor review is more positive... But interestingly directly counters what Jeremy Crawford said about Planescape: Adventures in the Multiverse being the most adaptable to a GM's own setting/adventures...
I got the impression that the Planescape setting itself is easy to just drop into any campaign . . . after all, the planes are the backdrop of the multiverse, where all fantasy campaigns take place.

So maybe Sigil doesn't make much sense floating above a mountain in your world, or the adventure doesn't make sense in Waterdeep or your typical fantasy city . . . but the entire package certainly does.

Back in the 90s when I ran a few Planescape games, we started in the Realms and then the action moved to Sigil, because it's all part of the same larger cosmology.

That was my point. Including our other planets would have been more complicated than deleting Pluto. Also, Nyx IIRC.

One of the most Interesting ones in my option is Orcus, named not after D&D's Orcus, but the Orcus that Orcus is named after, the Roman/Etruscan God. Btw another real world deity in D&D they didn't try and hide.

Orcus even has its own moon Vanth (named after an Etruscan Goddess who guided the dead), it'd be cool if Vanth gets incorporated somehow into say a general or foe of Orcus in D&D.

Vanth (moon) - Wikipedia

Last edited:

Incenjucar

Legend
My general view is to use the PS boxed set to introduce newer folks to the 2E materials. WotC's house style isn't going to revert for the sake of PS but the old materials are still there and the modern audience is perfectly capable of reading older works if they know about them.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I don’t think Nyx (or Styx, Cerberus, or Hydra for that matter) are large enough to maintain hydrostatic equilibrium. But I could be mistaken; I know almost nothing about them, besides their names.

Remove ads

Remove ads