• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Planescape Planescape Pre-order Page Shows Off The Books!

Take a look at the books, poster map, and DM screen!

You can now pre-order Planescape: Adventures in the Multiverse from D&D Beyond. The set comes out on October 17th.

Scroll down through the comments to see more various peeks at the books!

• Discover 2 new backgrounds, the Gate Warden & the Planar Philosopher, to build planar characters in the D&D Beyond character builder
  • Channel 7 otherworldly feats, new intriguing magic spells & more powered by planar energies
  • Explore 12 new ascendant factions, each with distinct cosmic ideologies
  • Face over 50 unusual creatures including planar incarnates, hierarch modrons, and time dragons in the Encounter Builder
  • Journey across the Outlands in an adventure for characters levels 3-10 and 17
  • Adds adventure hooks, encounter tables, maps of Sigil and the Outlands & more to your game
This 3 books set comprises:
  • Sigil and the Outlands: a setting book full of planar character options with details on the fantastic City of Doors, descriptions of the Outlands, the gate-towns that lead to the Outer planes, and more
  • Turn of the Fortunes Wheel: an adventure set in Sigil and the Outlands designed for character levels 3-10 with a jump to level 17
  • Morte’s Planar Parade: Follow Morte as he presents over 50 inhabitants of the Outer Plane, including incarnates, hierarch modrons, time dragons, and more with their stats and descriptions

2321b38bdbc2d8e550f36556ba5a79e9_1920_KR.png

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Oh no, she gets no stats IMO. Stats imply somebody can cheese her, and that's just not possible.

One Interpretation I like of Planescape is the idea that the setting turns D&D's cosmology into a post-modernist interpretation of how metanarratives shape reality, with each faction (and their desire to make the multiverse in their image) an example of a metanarrative trying to impose a vision of the world. In that interpretation of Planescape, the Lady is the absolute essence of social order, where only through the existence of that order can living together be possible and other metanarratives possibly exist. The Lady is the personification of postmodernist society. She doesn't need stats. She just exists.

And funnily enough Planescape seems pretty close to Mage: The Ascension when viewed through that lens (both settings essentially create games about "philosophers with clubs").
Almost like the author was making some kind of statement. Like the Lady is D&D and the factions are the various groups of fans with different interpretations of what the game is really about, how it should be played, what's the best way to X or Y or Z. Each vying for power and control but ultimately missing the point.

Ondath

Hero
Almost like the author was making some kind of statement. Like the Lady is D&D and the factions are the various groups of fans with different interpretations of what the game is really about, how it should be played, what's the best way to X or Y or Z. Each vying for power and control but ultimately missing the point.
Which is pretty ironic considering how the game's 90s edgy full of itself tone and in-lore disdain for the "clueless" is ultimately yet another interpretation of the game that isn't the end all be all. I love Planescape, but it certainly flattens so many planes and settings that do better with a separate cosmology.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
The train reminded me of that Rick and Morty episode "Tickets please". The story train haha. I'll agree it was off putting but I could see why they used a train. It was one of a few reasons I haven't picked up that book.
It made me think of the Doctor Who episode Mummy on the Orient Express. It features a replica Orient Express train flying through space.

I still can't get over no new races, subraces, or even racial variants.
They could have done Glitchlings, Mephitlings, Bladelings, Babiurs, Celestial Eladarin, Ardlings, Aasimar using the Ardlings version 1.0 mechanics, Genasi/Aasimar/Tieflings with something similar to the SCAG Tiefling variant, Limbo race, Plumach Rilmani, etc..., instead we get none. Bugs me, just feels so low effort.
Why. This is not really a player facing product. I see no point in them being in the book over stuff for the GM, who the case is meant for, being in there.

Like I want pretty much none of the things you are asking for in this book, they can be in a book that is meant to be player facing.

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Not the same
Your need for WotC to bless the content you consume is a self-inflicted wound. They are going to let you down over and over again, because you keep giving them the power to do so.

The best stuff on DMs Guild and DriveThruRPG is significantly better than the average WotC output and those creators will be the same people producing the official stuff in five years anyway.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I still can't get over no new races, subraces, or even racial variants.
They could have done Glitchlings, Mephitlings, Bladelings, Babiurs, Celestial Eladarin, Ardlings, Aasimar using the Ardlings version 1.0 mechanics, Genasi/Aasimar/Tieflings with something similar to the SCAG Tiefling variant, Limbo race, Plumach Rilmani, etc..., instead we get none. Bugs me, just feels so low effort.
Definitely wondering where the value (to the consumer, not WotC) is here.

Remove ads

Remove ads