• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Play dress up

What is your experience with getting into character through clothing change

• Never done it

Votes: 220 73.3%
  • Know a few people that have done it

Votes: 48 16.0%
  • A few people at the table have done it through the years

Votes: 19 6.3%
  • Do it all the time (your not suppose to?)

Votes: 13 4.3%

ThirdWizard

First Post
Sialia said:
The only part of this that's really geeky is that I admit that on occasion I've worn some of the above to things to job interviews, where I deliberately wanted to bring out a particular facet of my personality that I thought was well suited to the job.

Brings a new meaning to the term "dress for success." ;)

Darth K'Trava said:
I've usually gone Klingon at one time.....

Lursa and B'Etor were good lookin' too! Although I doubt they'd beat out Spock in the polls. :cool:

Darth K'Trava

First Post
ThirdWizard said:
Lursa and B'Etor were good lookin' too! Although I doubt they'd beat out Spock in the polls. :cool:

Depends on if you're polling males or females....... :lol: Results are most likely going to be skewed based on gender..... me, I'd go for Spock but then I guess that may be because I'm female...... ;)

The guys would go for the Klingon Kleavage. :p

Kaji

First Post
We've never done it, and to the best of my knowledge none of my mates have. I would not stop you, there are lots of fun "garb" things to do. We sometimes dress up and head off the the Ren Fest, and I've got mates that do a bit of LARPing, which is not for me, but more power to 'em, I say. :)

Last edited:

ThirdWizard

First Post
Darth K'Trava said:
Depends on if you're polling males or females....... :lol: Results are most likely going to be skewed based on gender..... me, I'd go for Spock but then I guess that may be because I'm female...... ;)

The guys would go for the Klingon Kleavage. :p

And what cleavage it was! I'd have to go with them, considering. ;)

My mother tells me that Spock had quite the following back in the day, though. Poor poor Kirk.

Kemrain

First Post
Never have, though I'd love to try. I don't exactly have the curves to pull off either of the characters I'm playing at the moment.

- Kemrain the Not Particularly Voluptuous.

Last edited:

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Harmon said:
I have heard a few people mention something about changing their clothes to "get into character," and I was wondering how many people have experience with people dressing up to play in a campaign.

If you mean 'Do you wear a certain hat or dress a certain way, but still within the bounds of normalcy, to game' I've know a couple people that, not unlike certain sports fans, liked their 'lucky shirt' or something like that in the hope the dice might be kind to them.

If you mean 'Come to the table as your character', no. That, in fact, would be the thing that would make me pack up and leave. Unless you look like your broad-shouldered, six-pack-abbed fighter and are a professional level (as in, 'I make costumes for movies or the stage' not 'I sell stuff at the local ren-faire') costume designer, don't even bother. It's more distracting than anything else.

D+1

First Post
Never done it. Don't know anyone who has. Depends on how overboard anybody would get with it as to how I'd react if they did. Closest I've gotten is to wear a few amusing buttons on my shirt like, "Some people adventure for the money, some for the fame, others for the gold. Me, I just like to kill things." or, "A sucking chest wound is nature's way of telling you to slow down."

I MIGHT do such a thing as more of a use of a prop when DMing. For example, put on an imperious-looking robe when the game turns to the PC's having an important conversation with the Emperor or some such. But to do so just as a matter of course to "get into character"? Definitely not.

With all due respect, it's just that kind of thing that freaks the mundanes and gives the hobby the worst appearance possible. It's why they make movies like Cruel Doubt and portray D&D the way it did. Probably why I have no respect whatever for LARPs while knowing full well that there's nothing inherently WRONG with it.

Hey, if it's your bag, enjoy. Don't let me stop you. REALLY. Just don't call it D&D when you dress up in garb and wave around a sword while talking in your most outrageous accent. D&D is NOT dress-up and vice-versa. I much prefer to both maintain and present myself as possessing (both publicly and privately) a clear distinction between fantasy and reality. Mixing dress-up and D&D simultaneously as a matter of course is something I distinctly wish to distance myself and my hobby from. While you and I may know full well that it's "just part of the fun" it has a SHOCKINGLY different appearance. Different enough to vastly outshine the "fun" with embarrassment.

Trekkers have a similar dichotomous relationship as afficianados. Dressing up like a Klingon or as Federation officer is fun. Was a time in my youth that I'd have done so myself and had a blast. In the right time and place I still would. But it's the EXTREME Trekkers who unfortunately and unfairly give all the rest the reputation of being similarly wacked. They make what would otherwise be seen as good, clean, simple fun look like a circus of freaks.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
WayneLigon said:
If you mean 'Do you wear a certain hat or dress a certain way, but still within the bounds of normalcy, to game'

Gotta convince a non-gamer that a sentence like that makes sense. Most gamers will make exceptions and allow for certain quirks...even for extended periods of time...if it means filling out the table roster.

Never done it, but know a couple of people who do it (just a bit). Never a full costume thing, and I've gamed with some hardcore theatre folk at times.

Remove ads