• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Play dress up

What is your experience with getting into character through clothing change

• Never done it

Votes: 220 73.3%
  • Know a few people that have done it

Votes: 48 16.0%
  • A few people at the table have done it through the years

Votes: 19 6.3%
  • Do it all the time (your not suppose to?)

Votes: 13 4.3%

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
fusangite said:
Sorry but... people who do that sort of thing give our hobby bad worse name.

Fusangite, there are worse things for the hobby's image (take a shower before putting on that costume)...

actually, I did see some guy walking around the street in a cloak the other day. And in theory I like cloaks, but this was not a good statement. But this was in public.

As for theme snacks...always if I can...especially theme beer, wine, or other drinks (mead, cider).

diaglo

Adventurer
TerraDave said:
As for theme snacks...always if I can...especially theme beer, wine, or other drinks (mead, cider).

the players in the OD&D(1974) campaign recovered some owlbear eggs at the end of one session. the next session, we made omelets. which is basically what the PCs did with the infertile eggs.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
For live action games, certainly. Costuming for them is often reqired, rather than optional.

For tabletop I don't normally costume. I might choose wear somethign mildly reminicent of my character - If I'm playing a character with wilderness attachments, I might wear a T-shirt with wolves on it, rather than one with a techno-geek slogan or tie-dye.

android

First Post
D+1 said:
With all due respect, it's just that kind of thing that freaks the mundanes and gives the hobby the worst appearance possible. It's why they make movies like Cruel Doubt and portray D&D the way it did. Probably why I have no respect whatever for LARPs while knowing full well that there's nothing inherently WRONG with it.

Well, it's good to see that you're able to do things you like without worrying about what other people think. Oh.. wait... apparently the approval of the "normal world" is required before you do something you enjoy.

Personally, I do my best to prevent other people--who have no interest in me or my life whatever--be involved in determining my happiness. When you start letting other people dictate what you do in your life, be it for fun or anything else, you lose out on being yourself. Instead, you are being what some artificial jury has determined is the proper thing.

If it's not your bag, that's fine. But just say that. To go on and on about how you won't do it because other people think it's weird. Well guess what... I think you're weird! Oh no! What will you do now? You don't have the approval you so deperately need!

D+1 said:
Just don't call it D&D when you dress up in garb and wave around a sword while talking in your most outrageous accent. D&D is NOT dress-up and vice-versa.

From now on, I will defer to you on all questions about what D&D is or is not, seeing as you are the new authority on the subject.

D+1 said:
I much prefer to both maintain and present myself as possessing (both publicly and privately) a clear distinction between fantasy and reality.

It's not a misunderstanding of reality. You're already pretending to be someone you're not. How did you develop the opinion that clothing is beyond your rather arbirtrary line of reality and fantasy? Somehow the fact that you are pretending to be a race that doesn't even exist is less strange than putting on a cloak to look more like the human being you are pretending to be?

I think you're got some analyzing to do on this subject because the opinions you espouse are flawed based on your own actions.

D+1

First Post
android said:
Well, it's good to see that you're able to do things you like without worrying about what other people think. Oh.. wait... apparently the approval of the "normal world" is required before you do something you enjoy.
Just to set you straight...

I require no approval of the "normal world" to play D&D. I AM part of the normal world. However, people too often treat both myself as a player, and D&D in general, as if we were genuine freaks. Part of the reason it is percieved as so freakish is because some players SEEM to do everything they can to further the misperception. One of the ways they do that is dressing as if it's Halloween as a matter of course when they play D&D.

I mean, if I were truly as guided by others opinions as you insinuate I am, I certainly would NOT be playing D&D would I?
If it's not your bag, that's fine. But just say that. To go on and on about how you won't do it because other people think it's weird. Well guess what... I think you're weird! Oh no! What will you do now? You don't have the approval you so deperately need!
I DID say just that. In point of fact I was EMPHATIC about it. I said dressing up is not my bag. I said if others want to do it I'm not gonna stop them. But I also said that they give the game a bad name when they do.
From now on, I will defer to you on all questions about what D&D is or is not, seeing as you are the new authority on the subject.
Maybe you should. Your own reading comprehension ability seems a bit low.
It's not a misunderstanding of reality. You're already pretending to be someone you're not. How did you develop the opinion that clothing is beyond your rather arbirtrary line of reality and fantasy?
<sigh> I didn't say that was where I drew my own line between fantasy and reality. In fact I indicated quite the opposite. However, general PUBLIC perception certainly draws a much clearer line at that point. My desire is to prevent the game from being further marginalized and stereotyped by the general public by consistently presenting an outward appearance to the public that is, if you will, normal. I encourage others to do likewise and discourage and generally disparage behavior that does marginalize and stereotype as freakish both the game and those who play it.

Clear enough for you?

android

First Post
D+1 said:
I DID say just that. In point of fact I was EMPHATIC about it. I said dressing up is not my bag. I said if others want to do it I'm not gonna stop them. But I also said that they give the game a bad name when they do.

Well of course you're not going to stop them. Are you implying that you could go on some rampage against dressing up in D&D if you wanted to? But you don't want to so instead you'll just limit your derision to saying that the people who dress up just do a disservice to you and the people you don't dress up? Of course not!

Your statement that you won't stop them is just empty; it means nothing. It's just lip service to make people think that you're more understanding than you are.

D+1 said:
Maybe you should. Your own reading comprehension ability seems a bit low.

Despite your attempts to paint me as someone who does not understand what you wrote, you have shown yourself to not understand your own opinion as is illustrated here:

D+1 said:
My desire is to prevent the game from being further marginalized and stereotyped by the general public by consistently presenting an outward appearance to the public that is, if you will, normal. I encourage others to do likewise and discourage and generally disparage behavior that does marginalize and stereotype as freakish both the game and those who play it.

Your main purpose in playing D&D is not to have fun? What you say above is that it is instead to improve the public opinion of D&D and its players. Well, that's very noble of you, I guess, but my point still stands. Play D&D, dress up, don't dress up, whatever, but do it because you want to, and leave the opinion of people you don't know and don't care about out of it if they interfere with what you want to do. And, leave other people who don't fit your ideals out of it as well. No one needs to be disparaged by you because they don't conform.

And yes, I of course realize that I am one of the people you don't know and don't care about so why am I even talking about this? As you have your people looking in on you and passing judgement which apparently guides your behavior quite a bit, you are playing that role for me. The difference is, I'm not conforming to your opinions for the sake of giving D&D a good name--or whatever else--like you do to everyone else's.

Remove ads