• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Player costuming, props etc in "table top" games.

Wolf1066

First Post
As a GM, I've used all sorts of stuff to inject an air of realism into my Cyberpunk games in the past, from pictures to music to borrowing a laser pointer (back in the early days when they were bloody expensive) to shine on the player's torsos at a key moment to signify they had just been "painted" with targeting lasers (worked a treat, too - the "Oh, crap!" reaction I got was a joy to behold), to bringing out a couple of plastic Soft Air pistols to show the players what "goods" were available for their characters (put them away again immediately, didn't want the players playing with the props instead of gaming). It often helps immerse the characters in the game universe by giving them the picture instead of the thousand words.

Also, as a player, I've costumed up a bit from time to time to get myself in character - last nWoD game I played my character was a Goth computer geek and I put on long black coat and rings when playing (even had a folio of pictures of all the stuff my character had). The moment I slipped the coat and jewellery on, I became "Wraith".

Now, in my current campaign, one of the players is going to be wearing an article of jewellery that is mentioned in her character's background notes as having significance to her character.

GMs, do you have players turning up to table top games with articles of costuming/jewellery or other props to help them get in character?

Of course, dressing up is pretty much normal for Mind's Eye theatre games and other forms of LARPing, so I'm specifically thinking about table top games where you're not running around physically acting out the character, just sitting around someone's room/basement/garage and rolling dice.

Players, do you costume up to some degree or take a prop along?

grizzo

First Post
As a GM, I've used all sorts of stuff to inject an air of realism into my Cyberpunk games in the past, from pictures to music to borrowing a laser pointer (back in the early days when they were bloody expensive) to shine on the player's torsos at a key moment to signify they had just been "painted" with targeting lasers (worked a treat, too - the "Oh, crap!" reaction I got was a joy to behold), to bringing out a couple of plastic Soft Air pistols to show the players what "goods" were available for their characters (put them away again immediately, didn't want the players playing with the props instead of gaming). It often helps immerse the characters in the game universe by giving them the picture instead of the thousand words.

Also, as a player, I've costumed up a bit from time to time to get myself in character - last nWoD game I played my character was a Goth computer geek and I put on long black coat and rings when playing (even had a folio of pictures of all the stuff my character had). The moment I slipped the coat and jewellery on, I became "Wraith".

Now, in my current campaign, one of the players is going to be wearing an article of jewellery that is mentioned in her character's background notes as having significance to her character.

GMs, do you have players turning up to table top games with articles of costuming/jewellery or other props to help them get in character?

Of course, dressing up is pretty much normal for Mind's Eye theatre games and other forms of LARPing, so I'm specifically thinking about table top games where you're not running around physically acting out the character, just sitting around someone's room/basement/garage and rolling dice.

Players, do you costume up to some degree or take a prop along?
That just too geeky coming to a game in costume.

Wormwood

Adventurer
Back in the early 90'sm we'd dress up for V:tM games (tabletop, not LARP). My wife and her sister-in-law dress in black clubwear, and I'd throw on an old army surplus jacket.

It really was fun.

samursus

Explorer
Nope... never have.

Although, my GF, when first introduced to D&D last year, thought dressing up was the default for D&D. She was kinda disappointed when she found out it wasn't. :p

the Jester

Legend
I encourage people to bring or make props, campaign art, etc. I don't think anyone has ever actually done a full costume in my D&D game, though.

When I played a Malkavian Catholic priest vampire in a V:tM game, I used to bring a Bible with me. I had selected a bunch of passages that backed up my "Jesus was a vampire" thesis. :devil:

JustKim

First Post
I used to have a tall, pointy, garish wizard hat. It was the hat used in the SNL geek phone sex skit. I used to wear it when I was DMing, because we had this round robin thing going on and it was useful to be able to tell who the DM was that week. Also I am a goofball.

I don't have the hat anymore, but I wouldn't feel too ridiculous dressing up in full costume if I had something like that. But you know, our culture has some pretty relaxed attitudes about women in costumes. :)

TheNovaLord

First Post
savage worlds we use quite a few little props

if its pirates we tend to all dress up a bit
and deadlands a bit as well

one of the guys works in a museum so in our solomon kane games in the last few weeks hes brought replica matchlocks, old bibles and such

a few other have young kids who always have useful toys than can be used as props

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads