• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Player costuming, props etc in "table top" games.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I've never gamed in costume.

While it wouldn't creep me out to game with those who did, I probably wouldn't do it myself. And if it were required, I'd respectfully remove myself from the game.

My game is set entirely underwater. I suppose I could use my swimming pool... ;)

Rolling dice would be a bitch...especially[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Giant-Foam-Dice/dp/B0018Z3XV4"] these[/ame].

.5 Elf

First Post
I had Sehanine appear to my party's cleric as a gargoyle statuette that was about 8 in tall in game once. The statue could talk and would confer various minor bonuses according to whomever held the statuette at the time. She was not allowed to directly intercede on the party's behalf but would guide them along to do her bidding. Additionally she tried damn hard to seduce each PC into worshiping her. Of course only the PC's knew it was really a god and the statuette was in fact able to talk.

Accordingly I had a 8 in statuette on the game table when I introduced the plot device. Due to the way I RP'd it and the minor benefits holding the statuette conferred, (mostly the lil benefits get the credit I think) I soon had the players around the table actually arguing (good natured, mostly) over who would get to hold the lil statue. Player 1: "She likes me best..." Player 2: "No! Shut-up, you weren't even one of her worshipers..." etc.

It got pretty hilarious at times.

Mallus

Legend
Seeing as my current PC wears either full plate armor --which I don't own-- or a terrycloth bathrobe --which I do own, but I wouldn't wear with a houseful of guests-- playing in costume for me is right out. Also, I'd have to gain weight a la Robert DeNiro in Raging Bull or strap a pillow around my waist.

The only prop I will use is liquor. I use a glass of vodka or whiskey to stand in for my Dragonborn paladin's beloved Pernod, and when I used to run my screen-namesake Mallus, we'd both enjoy a flask/water-tumbler full of gin and tonic during the session.

(when gaming, funny accents and semi-wild in-character gesticulation are my limits...)

Stormonu

Legend
I like to goof off and play around with props sometimes, and I've done a few weird ones (mostly as the DM).

- Using sock puppets on each hand (and my own head for the "lion's head" to RP an intelligent Chimera the group once encountered (including arguing heads, of course).

- Dressing up as Strahd for our last (Halloween) game set in Ravenloft. I also decorated the game room for the occasion, since it was also a Halloween party.

MortalPlague

Adventurer
We played an evil campaign, once. I played a shapeshifter who took his victims eyes, carried them in a pouch, and ate them. I picked up a number of candy eyeballs and brought them to session with me. Then, when my character was introduced, I pulled one out and ate it in front of everyone.

It was a great moment.

Wolf1066

First Post
We played an evil campaign, once. I played a shapeshifter who took his victims eyes, carried them in a pouch, and ate them. I picked up a number of candy eyeballs and brought them to session with me. Then, when my character was introduced, I pulled one out and ate it in front of everyone.

It was a great moment.
DANG! We need candy like that over here. That would have been awesome.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads