• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Player costuming, props etc in "table top" games.

Filcher

First Post
... a laser pointer (back in the early days when they were bloody expensive) to shine on the player's torsos at a key moment to signify they had just been "painted" with targeting lasers (worked a treat, too - the "Oh, crap!" reaction I got was a joy to behold) ...

Fun. I need to try this.

Wolf1066

First Post
Fun. I need to try this.
It certainly affected them on a more visceral level than merely saying "you look down and notice red laser dots on your chest" would have - going by the way they reacted to it compared with when I have just told them what's happening.

No one I've played with in table top games has ever gone as far as full costume but the occasional small item that's a distinguishing feature of the character - like jewellery or a jacket or hat - turns up from time to time.

Likewise, props aren't used all the time. They come out to highlight something, make it stand out. Go too far and it would get ludicrous...

Pictures are far more common, especially of the characters.

Crothian

First Post
We've seen pictures and props (like medieval weapons) at the table. I've never seen anyone in garb but I would not mind it.

Aeolius

Adventurer
a pity I only run games online, nowadays:
20061_1316600605875_1556535430_780060_6665462_n.jpg

then again.... ;)

Edgewood

First Post
When I was 15, we used props, garb, music, candlelight, the whole nine yards to enhance the game. Now that I'm in my 40's, I draw the line at dressing up. I like to draw maps for my game by hand and will design simple props. (I once made a leather bag containing common spell components for my 1st ed wizard. It had things like string, candle wax, powder, etc... things that you could find around the house. When a spell component called for something like a wing of a bat or a tail of lizard I would purchase one of the those toy rubber versions one can get at the dollar store and cut off the required part.)

I also made my own spell book. This thing was massive and I would write out each spell that my character had from the PHB word for word. It was pretty cool.

Nightson

First Post
I dunno, I don't think I would dress up for a game normally, there's too much time spent out of character. Also I have no sort of costume and am way too lazy/cheap to make one.

Wolf1066

First Post
I'm trying to limit the amount of time people are out of character in our game sessions - largely because we have a three-hour session once a fortnight and I'd rather it be spent playing the game rather than talking about it or (in the case of many I've played with) swapping anecdotes, telling jokes, reminiscing over past games, discussing TV programmes or debating politics.

My take is: we're here to play, let's get in character and play.

That said, I wouldn't fully dress up in character for a game session. A jacket or hat or article of jewellery or some small unobtrusive prop, not the whole nine yards. Most I've done was for nWod and that was just jacket and jewellery - I didn't fully dress up and go Goth (would take too long and the white foundation would play havoc with my beard...)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads