D&D 5E Player Hit Points

Players should determine hit points via:

• Average hit points. Always.

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • Rolling straight up. If you roll bad, you roll bad.

Votes: 17 13.7%
  • A percentage (70% of max, 80%, what have you).

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Let the player choose (between rolling or average).

Votes: 48 38.7%
  • Something else.

Votes: 15 12.1%

Distracted DM

Distracted DM
Supporter
Haha, is this a question of "how should it be done" or "how do you do it?"

Because over time I think using average is the good idea. And stats should be point buy or standard array.
But how do I do it? I allow players to roll HP. If you roll bad that sucks but there it is. Most of them don't roll, and take the average.
Whereas for stats, I allow a safety net: 4d6DL x 6, assign. Don't like it, you can use point buy.

But players only want to roll because there's the chance that they'll roll well and come out ahead! They DON'T want to roll because there's the chance that they'll roll poorly.. so the gamblers roll HP and sometimes regret it: there's a wizard in one of my games that's rolled well below average. I think he rolled something like: 6,1,1,4,3,1,2. The wizard.. ok he can stay in the back.
When a martial character rolled that badly for HP, the player retired him in a few sessions. So what's the point of rolling? The thrill is what keeps it attractive...

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
We roll twice, take better roll of the two at level-up.
Good lord that's going to increase hit points. A single roll is already on average more than the averaging in the book, and rolling with advantage is just going to pump that up even more.

Remove ads