D&D General Player Preferences

What things are important to you as a player in a D&D campaign?

• An overarching story/plot.

Votes: 34 39.5%
  • A highly detailed world.

Votes: 27 31.4%
  • NPCs with depth and personality.

Votes: 56 65.1%
  • Interesting factions with which to interact.

Votes: 28 32.6%
  • A high degree of player choice in the direction of the campaign.

Votes: 36 41.9%
  • Varied adventure or subplots in different types of environments or locations.

Votes: 48 55.8%
  • Detailed exploration as a mode of play.

Votes: 25 29.1%
  • Detailed downtime as a mode of play.

Votes: 15 17.4%
  • Mechanical character advancement options (aka levelling).

Votes: 37 43.0%
  • Non-mechanical character advancement (aka fame, titles, etc...)

Votes: 25 29.1%
  • The ability of the PCs to directly and significantly impact the world.

Votes: 50 58.1%
  • Dungeons.

Votes: 30 34.9%
  • Dragons.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • (Monetary) Treasure.

Votes: 11 12.8%
  • (Magical) Treasure.

Votes: 32 37.2%
  • Other

Votes: 9 10.5%

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Factions are not automatically cool, and they aren't necessarily plug and play either. You need factions that add to the specific table fiction and that are there for a reason, not just added 'because'. What I like about them is that they are actors in their own right, and push back or with PC impact on the fiction. They give characters a chance to have authentic connections, allies, and enemies in the game world too. I have pretty broad definition of faction too. Politics is factions, social class stuff can be factions, as well as stuff like guilds and actual organizations. When you have a common frame of reference for those they get easy to use as the GM, and easy to relate to one another, as well as to the characters. For example, cities are, in some ways, more profitably described in terms of interlocking factions and loyalties than in terms of geography.

Very much this, I actually think factions are more important than NPCs and that they should be treated as characters with their own motivations, personalities and desires. PCs coming up against the secret cabal who run the city has far more chance for meaningful play than just meeting the Greedy Mayor and his bumbling Sheriff.
Thats especially so when its found that the Mayor is just a pawn being manipulated by the real BBEGs.

I do like overrching metaplots (not story) and I also want a sandbox, I want to be able to explore and enjoy varied subplots and adventures with a vague sense of connectedness however I dont like highly detailed worlds. I’d rather have a world where my character has impact, creating situations and thus creating the story. Again influencing factions helps here, the factions have their goals which might be linked to the overarching plot, but characters can influence the faction goals in unexpected ways causing the metaplot to evolve accordingly. Having Downtime as the chance to do Faction focussed play really helps in this regard.

For Other I do like to have some logical consistency in the worlds theme including culture and monster palatte, Thats possibly linked to Overarching Metaplot but notable enough to mention

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I have no idea what detailed exploration meant.
That the players through their PCs can explore, in as much detail as they want, the setting being used for the game; and that such exploration won't be short-circuited by a DM wanting to get to the next adventure or encounter.

I sometimes see it derisively called "setting tourism" by those who don't enjoy it.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
I do not enjoy setting exploration for its own sake. I like when there are interesting factions, locations, and things to discover. However, for my tastes it should never be the focus. The focus should be on the characters, their relationships to the outside world, and what they are trying to achieve. Exploration should be purposeful.

More than anything I need roots. I want connections to the setting - obligations, connections, enemies, allies. I want an environment that I can learn to survive and eventually use. I want to be able to build something meaningful over time. I hate games where you are always on the move going from one plot hook to another. One mystery to another. One dungeon to another. I need to be able to see the board.

Remove ads