• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Player Races in Upcoming Volo's Guide to Monsters

gantzerteo

Explorer
Since we are talking about Realms the most possible plant-like race are the Volodni from Unapproachable East. Woodlings were random classable monster from MMIII while Killoren was one of the many poor/no charismatic race of the "Races of..." series.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Firbolg from page 107 is up on Wizards page: +2 Wisdom, +1 Strength, Medium (7-8 feet tall), some magic and powerful build.

Dude on Reddit said that [MENTION=697]mearls[/MENTION] and Perkins hinted at playable Lizardfolk, with a RP focus on their lack of emotion.

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Lack of emotions?

Folks know reptiles aren't actually emotionless, right?
Eh. Good job I can just ignore that and use the stat block.

Wow, that's the first +2 WIS race if I'm not mistaken. They will make stellar druids and rangers give their other powers, and of course quite good clerics...

Definitely an interesting take on the firbolg, but not so far off previous editions as to make it unrecognizable. Looks like they went more towards the fey end of things, while retaining at least some giant-ness. It is a bit shorter than previous editions, but, even if I had hoped upthread for a large player race, it was probably inevitable that they would make it medium...

Lack of emotions?

Reptiles are not emotionless. Lizardfolk the D&D race however are stoic and have no real way to emote other then changes in voice. Combined with finding things like good and evil utterly alien. Makes them appear emotionless to other people.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Lack of emotions?

I agree, lack of emotions would mean they were plants (and not the Treant kind!); I get the impression that people in general don't actually get what emotions even are (what *are* they teaching children in school these days? It's all in Plato...).

However, even though Lizardfolk would obviously have emotions, they would not be terribly sympathetic from a fuzzy mammals point of view: different ways of relating to family, for instance, depending on how their lifecycle works, for instance.

doctorbadwolf

Reptiles are not emotionless. Lizardfolk the D&D race however are stoic and have no real way to emote other then changes in voice. Combined with finding things like good and evil utterly alien. Makes them appear emotionless to other people.
But...they have bodies. Therefor, they can emote. Sure, differently than humans. Awesome. But...anyone vaguely familiar with them should be able to read their emoting behavior based on experience/familiarity. I can't tell a happy iguana from one that's about to try to kill me, but my friends who have had lizards as pets their whole lives sure as heck can.

Like I said, though, I can just ignore it if they make the fluff something that makes me roll my eyes.

But...they have bodies. Therefor, they can emote. Sure, differently than humans. Awesome. But...anyone vaguely familiar with them should be able to read their emoting behavior based on experience/familiarity. I can't tell a happy iguana from one that's about to try to kill me, but my friends who have had lizards as pets their whole lives sure as heck can.

Like I said, though, I can just ignore it if they make the fluff something that makes me roll my eyes.

Yeah but Lizardfolk are territorial and likely to kill and eat you if you trespass. So very few people are familiar with them. The ones that are tend to be traders and the accounts from them is that the lizardfolk creeped them out and they were not able to tell what they were thinking.

Lizardfolk are also not the same as normal lizards. They have fairly alien mindsets compared to most humanoids and are tend to be stoic as a whole. Sure someone that lived alongside them probably could understand them. But next to no humanoids do becuase frankly the things are scary to them.

doctorbadwolf

Yeah but Lizardfolk are territorial and likely to kill and eat you if you trespass. So very few people are familiar with them. The ones that are tend to be traders and the accounts from them is that the lizardfolk creeped them out and they were not able to tell what they were thinking.

Lizardfolk are also not the same as normal lizards. They have fairly alien mindsets compared to most humanoids and are tend to be stoic as a whole. Sure someone that lived alongside them probably could understand them. But next to no humanoids do becuase frankly the things are scary to them.
Kay.

So, they're "alien" for the sake of being alien. Like I said, I'll be ignoring that. :)

Kay.

So, they're "alien" for the sake of being alien. Like I said, I'll be ignoring that. :)
Why. Whats wrong with a species being alien. Lizardfolk are a very neutral race and have a different mindset from most humanoids. Humanoids tend to ether be good people (Most elves and dwarves), people of all types (humans), or jackasses (Goblinoids and Orcs).

They have always been like this in D&D don't get why you would have a problem with it. I would say it makes them more interesting. Why you would want to ignore it is alien to me.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads