• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Player's build is to strong?

Endur

First Post
If his character is only 3rd level, I wouldn't worry about it. You can cross that bridge when you come to it.

If someone came to me with that character as a level 20 character, I'd ask them to explain the character's background and story to me.

p.s. I'm usually very anti-Prestige classes as munchkiny, but I'm in a mellow mood today.

lonesoldier

First Post
Yes it's very bad. Min/maxers must be caught and maimed or maimed and caught.

The Divine Oracle 2/ Ur-Priest 2 part is unhealthy as well.

AND THE MIN/MAXING! Does this guy have a background written up?

Thanee

First Post
Hmm... doesn't that Ur-Priest only have a caster level of 10?

2 from Ur-Priest +2 from Bard +1 from Divine Oracle +1 from Sublime Chord +4 from Foluchorian Lyricist

Bye
Thanee

MoonZar

Explorer
DarkJester said:
One of my players has presented the following beast to me for a replacement to his (now deceased) cloistered cleric.

Human
Avenger (Variant) Druid 1/Bard 4/Divine Oracle 2/ Ur-Priest 2/ Dragonslayer 1/ Sublime Chord 2/Foluchorian Lyricist 8
He has feats listed such as arcane strike, snow flake wardance, and divine might.

I was really suprised, he has never came up with anything like this before. I suspect he had help creating it. I want to know if it is legal. I don't have complete divine or complete adventurer here with me (he is borrowing them) so I can't check. I'll have the books back by Saturday (but we are planned to play Sunday).

This doesn't present an immediate problem - he is starting at third level. I'm just worried about the power level of a character with (potentially) a 16 base attack bonus (we use fractional bab rules), 9th level arcane and divine spells.

Would you allow this character in your game?

This a perfect exemple of abusing the rules and power gaming i think.

I'm just curious to see what is the background of this character and how he can explain so much prestige class in his story. He can't explain it without cuting a hair in four, this only pure powergaming, is that this kind of play you want in your campaign ? How the other characters look likes beside him ?

What the point to pick one level of the dragonslaying prestige class with all these bard class, this doesn't fit together at all ?! The only explanation is that he want to gain a +1 base attack, improve his spell and get a 1d10 hit point in one level because nothing prevent him to do one level of this class and chose another one.

The only thing illegal i see is the Ur-Priest and the Divine Oracle together :

Ur-Priest : The Ur-Priest despise gods
Divine Oracle : ... Divine oracles are such mortals blessed or cursed by vision from their deities.

This not a rules problem but the background of both these class are in contradiction. The other big problem is he don't have evasion who is a requirement for the fochlucan lyrist.

You should known that most of the prestige class give more ability at level one, so you could unbalance the system to allow him to do one level of a prestige class and then change again. Also he will probably have very high saving thrown if you compare with a character who have one core class and one prestige class.

Personnaly i wont allow it even if this legal according to the rules, a prestige class is suppose to be a devotion in a particular order or field that is hard to achieve, how can someone have 5 prestiges class ?!?! Here a quote from the DMG that many DM doesn't take in consideration...

DMG p.176 :

Prestige classes are purely optional and always under the purview of the DM. We encourage you, as the DM to tightly limit the prestige classes available in your campaign.

You can't take prestige class as you see fit in the book, the character have to gain access to this class and this not suppose to be easy...

Last edited:

Thefifthglyph

First Post
IcyCool said:
It is an illegal build. Foluchorian Lyricist requires the Evasion ability. Divine Oracle does not grant Evasion. It grants an ability that is like Evasion, but isn't.

I agree. D.O. has Prescient Sense while F.L. needs the Evasion abilities on its prerequisites. May possess similar effects but definitely not the same. You can use the D.O.'s Prescient Sence even on heavy armor BTW unlike the Ranger/Rogue/Monk Evasion version.

MoonZar

Explorer
DarkJester said:
I guess what I really wonder is do you think a character like this would be overpowering alongside reasonably experienced (player-wise) group of adventurers?
The rest of the group consists of a
Swashbuckler/Fighter headed for duelist,
Mounted Combat Paladin/Fighter headed for cavalier,
Sorcerer headed for incantatrix
Druid who likes to summon.

Hmm...

Hello,

At least the other character are more descent and reasonable, the power trip of the guy who want to play so much different class could unbalance the game, and i dont see anyway how he'll gain access to all the prestige class he want.

According to me when someone want to join a prestige class he have to find the order or a master who accept to teach him. How these order and master would react if his new student quit for another order or group.

MoonZar

Explorer
Endur said:
If his character is only 3rd level, I wouldn't worry about it. You can cross that bridge when you come to it.

If someone came to me with that character as a level 20 character, I'd ask them to explain the character's background and story to me.

p.s. I'm usually very anti-Prestige classes as munchkiny, but I'm in a mellow mood today.

I agree with you the story part is the bigger problem, you can't explain this with rationnality.

Anyway this a long run as you say from 3 to 20 level...

Remove ads