Players: Do you wear/carry "props" to the game?

catsclaw227

First Post
I always though dressing up to regular table top game was weird, to say at least. I don't think it much happened in my country. I've not heard anything in real life relating to that. Larps yes, table-top gaming, no.
I've worn a black t-shirt with a flaming d20 on it, but that is as far as we go. I think if I showed up at a new game with everyone dressed as wizards and barbarians and elves I would get freaked out and maybe vomit a little in my mouth.

But I like Umbran's idea of a ten-gallon hat for the Deadlands Fatechip-pot.

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
Except for when everyone was a feline character so the players picked one of our stuffed cat collection to represent their PCs and the occasional stuffy to represent a familiar, nope.

I wouldn't really want that at my table, anyway. PCs and players have to be kept apart. We go LARP if we want to be costumed.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Except for when everyone was a feline character so the players picked one of our stuffed cat collection to represent their PCs and the occasional stuffy to represent a familiar, nope.

Shoulda given them kittens.

Noumenon

First Post
I printed out three pictures of my character and her name and folded the paper into a triangular prism so people would remember her name and look.

nightwind1

Explorer
I've worn a black t-shirt with a flaming d20 on it, but that is as far as we go. I think if I showed up at a new game with everyone dressed as wizards and barbarians and elves I would get freaked out and maybe vomit a little in my mouth.

But I like Umbran's idea of a ten-gallon hat for the Deadlands Fatechip-pot.
Back when Deadlands was fresh and new, someone on the Deadlands mailing list mentioned that they used a brass spittoon for the Fate chip pot.
And their Marshall wore a replica marshall's badge.

jorgeo

Explorer
Lets see:

I always have an appropriate music playlist in the background.

We've used a dinosaur plush toy as an "apocalyptic hydra".

Last time my friend provided background music so that my bard NPC could actually sing what he had to say to the characters (amazingly enough, it was not that hard to improvise while staying on beat)

Then we used a small parrot as a Roc in the battleship combat, in which conveniently I also had ship props.

An player just emailed me a letter she wrote to an important NPC, so I put it in Word with some hand-script font and printed it so I can use it next game session.

Another player brings a plastic warhammer to the sessions. It's awesome.

I bought a $1 wooden puzzle cube at the dollar store, gave it to the wizard player, and told him I would tell him what he found next session if he had solved the puzzle :p

I used a scarf once as a shawl.

I think that's all.

In fact I am putting a scarf in my DM bag so that I can use it next week. Check out this video of Robin Williams putting it to good use to impersonate different characters (Starts at 3:15):

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IL2Iv-kbc68"]Robin Williams on Inside the Actors Studio - YouTube[/ame]

Richards

Legend
I DM for our campaign, and lately I've tried synching up my T-shirts with the adventure I'm running. For example:

• When running "Vault of the Iron Overlord," in which the main enemy is a sentient construct, I wore an Iron Man T-shirt.
  • When running an adventure dealing with Kord, god of strength, I wore a Thor T-shirt.
  • When running an underwater adventure, I wore a T-shirt with sharks on it (and my son wore his mermaid T-shirt at my prompting).
  • When running an adventure featuring an undead brain in a jar inside an iron golem, I wore my Daleks "Exterminate!" T-shirt. (Quite appropriately, I managed to kill a party member that session.)
  • When running an adventure with a gnome lich adversary, I wore my Mutter Museum T-shirt, which features human skeletons of various sizes.
  • When running an adventure in which the druid's eagle companion was important to the plot, I wore a T-shirt with eagles, wolves, and bears on it.
  • When running an adventure involving a zombified circus, I wore my Insane Clown College Graduate T-shirt (complete with demonic grinning clown mascot).
If I don't have a T-shirt that fits the theme (however much a stretch), I have several "generic" T-shirts with dragons on them, and I even have a TSR 25th Anniversary D&D T-shirt with Tony DiTerlizzi artwork on it, which fill in as needed. Next session I'm wearing the "Chaotic Evil Means Never Having to Say You're Sorry" T-shirt that my gaming group bought for me for Christmas.

Johnathan

krate

Explorer
I bring dice, pencils, some snacks and whatever we may need if I have it (like extra minis or what have you).

But no plastic viking helmet.

Remove ads