Players don't provide wish lists... What would you do?

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
* inherent bonuses as mentioned above

* the "blessings" that I think are in the 4e DMG2.

* Instead of standard reward, have the incentive be that a legendary blacksmith will upgrade some of their gear. Just have the dude increase the base bonuses, because those aren't very "sexy" and players that customize items typically prefer to look over the cool powers.

I would recommend against more gold/items. All that's doing is taking something that isn't currently working for the group and increasing the volume. I also don't like wish lists for the same reasons that an earlier poster mentioned.

I don't blame the PCs. The magic item lists in 4e read like a car parts catalog; unless you're really into car parts or already have a want/need for something specific, you're not going to read the catalog. I realize that 4e went down this path for good reasons having to do with risk, reward, and progression; I support those reasons. But a side effect is that some of the mystique of items has been toned down and developed more thoroughly in the context of artifacts.

So I'd go for fewer items that are discovered either as loot on a "boss" monster or as part of a series of quests.

Raven Crowking

First Post
I would strongly consider returning to an earlier treasure paradigm. You know, the one where the DM determined what was available, and there were no magic shops. You might have to adjust for lack of optimization, but I bet the game would be more fun for your players (or they would have wish lists) and for you (or you would enjoy placing treasures).

And screw using just the bland items. Crack open the 2e Encyclopedia Magica and convert whatever the heck tickles your fancy.

(I really dislike the "Santa came down the dungeon chimney and left me presents" treasure placement paradigm!)

RC

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
In a game world where anything is nigh readily available, using a game system that steers toward an optimized norm, a so-called wish list should be both obvious and uninspiring. In a freeform game world where magic and high quality items are precious and rare (not unique), using a system that doesn't punish unoptimized PC choices, a wish list should be fashioned in-game based off of the rich history presented to the players through their characters.

Tale

First Post
Make sure you're actually giving them upgrades. And try to be similar to what they're already running around with. Don't give a guy who's sword and shielding a greataxe.

If you give a player an obvious upgrade and he turns around and sells it, he's too stupid for his PC to live. There's no reason for a guy with a non-magical longsword to sell the +2 flaming longsword that just showed up. Not even if he didn't like it.
If you give a Warlock a +1 Rod of Reaving (or whatever minimum plus it has) and he's currently not using any implement at all, the same. Guy deserves never to hit anything.

Stoat

Adventurer
I don't care for wish lists. My players haven't given me wishlists. In fact, they haven't raised the issue at all.

I use a semi-random method of disbursing treasure. I randomly determine the type of each item to be disbursed. Frex: an 8th level weapon, a 7th level armor a 6th level belt and a 4th level neck item.

Then I check to see what items the party already has. I make sure that "big three" items are evenly distributed. I resolve any question of distribution randomly. Frex: If three out of five PC's already have a magic weapon, I'll make sure that the 8th level weapon is one that can be used by one of the other two PC's. Imagine that those two PC's are a wizard and a rogue. The eighth level weapon will either be an implement usable by the wizard or a light blade usable by the rogue. I'll decide which randomly. The eighth level weapon will not be a greataxe or a morning star.

Then I use the compendium to choose the specific item. Sometimes I do this randomly, sometimes I just pick something that looks cool.

Items other than the "big three" are either chosen randomly or I just pick something that looks cool.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
In decades of gaming, players have never given me wish lists. Sometimes, player has said, "Wouldn't it be cool if my character had a...!" or a player has had a character decide that they want a particular type of item. But a single thought, or an in-game desire which they are willing to pursue as a plot, isn't nearly the same thing.

I find and design items that I think are cool, and that I think the players will find interesting and cool, and that fit the balance of the party and game. I hand them out. If they don't like them, they'll shove them into the depths of a pack, or find someone to sell to or trade with (since magic shops are exceedingly rare in my games). It all comes out in the wash.

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
I don't accept wish lists anyway. Honestly, the treasure I put out there? The pcs adapt to it or sell it or disenchant it or transfer enchantment it. It works out just fine ime.

Sounds like the OP's group wants to complain about a problem that they already know the solution to. He's asked them to give him lists on several occasions; if I were him, I'd just shrug my shoulders and keep dispersing what he thinks are cool items without worrying unduly about making them suit the pcs- at least, until they do their part and make those lists!

Oryan77

Adventurer
This is a very odd complaint to me :lol: I'm on the opposite end of this...I don't want my players telling me what magic items they want (I've told them that if they ever tell me what they want, they will never get that item). I just don't like players dictating to the "world" what their PCs should have and then end up with it every time.

Maybe we can work something out....you can send my players your character sheets, and maybe they'll tell you what treasure your PCs should get. That way my players get to pick some magic items, and your players get the items they'd like without needing to choose any themselves :lol:

the players understand when they're lagging behind. When they miss attack rolls or a monster hits them by a single point or two, they openly discuss how they wish they had better items.
Should that right there tell you what items you should be handing out? If they are complaining about something, make a note of the complaint and then find an item that will help them with that problem.

I didn't notice you mentioning magic item shops. It seemed like giving them money to buy items was a good idea. All they have to do is go to a magic item shop that mysteriously has every magic item from any D&D sourcebook.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
(I've told them that if they ever tell me what they want, they will never get that item). I just don't like players dictating to the "world" what their PCs should have and then end up with it every time.

I'd call that overdoing it just a tad. Stating an occasional preference in no way equates to "dictating and always getting".

Middle grounds are nice. I like middle grounds - where players can give me some ideas about what they might like to see (in magic items and other things in the game) and they can expect me to at least consider their preferences.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
With the DDI compendium I find that I can tailor items pretty easily. Also, players making their own, albiet lower powered, items to cover gaps is built into the system.

But I am not sure what the problem really is ...I mean if the item is the right kind of armor, weapon, implement or boosts the right skill(s), is the right level...and the difference is say resisting thunder vs. cold damage, why not just be happy to get it?

Remove ads