Player's Handbook II?

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
whydirt said:
I think a better question is which of the new core classes is solid enough to possibly make the cut in 4th edition of the PHB.

From the Completes? Hexblade, Scout, Shugenja, Spellthief, Spirit Shaman, Swashbuckler, Warlock and possibly Ninja. I'd add the Marshal (MiniHB) and Artificer (Eberron) as well. That's 10 classes right there, including two from non-standard sources. Maybe throw in one brand-new one, too.

Add the generics (Expert, Spellcaster and Warrior) from UA.

Then fill the rest of this theoretical "PHB II" with information on those classes equivalent to what the PHB provides for the core classes - new spells, new feats and perhaps some themed PrCs.

I don't like the idea of combining the new classes with the old, though.

CM

Adventurer
I want a spell encyclopedia and a monster collection, along the lines of the "annual" monsterous compendia from 2nd edition. It would gather together all the monsters published in adventures and sourcebooks other than the regular monster manuals. :D

Ranger REG

Explorer
whydirt said:
I think a better question is which of the new core classes is solid enough to possibly make the cut in 4th edition of the PHB.
Simple answer: All of them, including the monk and barbarian.

I just want 2 prestige classes for each core classes in the DMG (22 total), including a cavalier and an acrobat.

Li Shenron

Legend
Ogrork the Mighty said:
Maybe because WotC is running a business, not a charity?

Customers don't do charity either. Or maybe RPG customers do... :p

One thing I find weird is that your reply seemed a little irritated by the idea, why? Would you feel "cheated" by WotC if they released a product like this, to try selling a few more books to the gamers who didn't buy the Complete series?

I agree however that they won't ever do a PHB II with repreinted classes, as they won't do any other sort of collection of material from already published books. It probably itsn't profitable for them. But for some gamers it could have been more useful than having the material spread into several books. Of course every single customer is entitled to hope for a product that matches her expectations better...

Ranger REG

Explorer
Li Shenron said:
But for some gamers it could have been more useful than having the material spread into several books. Of course every single customer is entitled to hope for a product that matches her expectations better...
Meh. For some of us, we'd rather WotC try and focus on something new to get our attention rather than rehashing previous material. After all, some of us got burned when 3.5e came out just three years after 3.0e to be followed by the Complete series, supposedly the successors of the Class Guidebook series (aka class splatbooks).

So, yeah, in hindsight they could have gone the route you desired instead of the four Complete books by compiling the old Class Guidebook material into a singular 3.5e revised book.

Li Shenron

Legend
whydirt said:

I don't think it would be more than a couple, unless 4ed starts a different trend with core classes. And amongst the 12 new classes I hardly see one which covers a concept different enough to become core, maybe the Favored Soul as a more natural/from-birth approach to religious power, and perhaps I could see the Spirit Shaman (although it's quite a cleric/druid hybrid in concept).

But the nowadays-everyone's-pet class the Warlock doesn't seem a concept different than the Sorcerer, and the same is with the Warmage. They might offer an alternative mechanical take on the concept, but that's not what makes a core class IMHO.

Swashbuckler, Hexblade, Scout: three which fall in the middle of two core classes (Ftr/Rog, Ftr/Wiz, Ran/Rog) can work better as alternatives than core. Plus, one should actually hope that 4ed makes these options possible just from more versatile core classes or better multclassing rules. And the Scout especially... too similar to the Ranger.

The Spellthief is instead too much a niche. Make it a core class (which means you're going to support it in every product) and the D&D world is seriously changed by the fact that there are approximately as many spell-stealers as there are spellcasters*. This could make for an interesting setting, but if you make it core it affects all the settings around.

And the oriental classes won't likely be in 4ed PHB either, since there has to be a 4ed Oriental PHB as well to sell us :)

*well ok, this isn't true, just exaggerating to make the point :p

Last edited:

Treebore

First Post
I have bought all 4 complete books. I even like all of them to various degrees. If WOTC dared to reprint the new classes, feats, and spells into a single hardbound book, called it the Players Handbook II, I'll.... I'll...... buy it.

Just leave the PrC's and other info unique to the Complete books, and don't change anything about the classes, feats or spells, except for errata. That way, if you already own the complete books they stay valid and you don't "have" to buy the PH II.

Plus, WOTC will pick up the sales from everyone who didn't buy the Complete books, because they will have a bunch of feats and spells compiled in one official book.

Of course this has been WOTC's marketing strategy all along and you should be seeing an official announcement in time for next Christmas.

JoeGKushner

First Post
If they did come out with a Player's Handbook II, I'd expect it to be all new material. Well, at least mostly new material.

If set up like the core PHB, it wouldn't even have PrCs, but I doubt that they could come up with that many new spells, since that's what takes up a major portion of the PHB.

Remove ads