• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Player's Handbook Races

The central question with that might very well be "Are you responsible for the sins of your ancestors?"

If that's the central question, the answer is "Obviously not. Unless you have a time machine. And that can wait until Paragon tier."

The central question with the PS tiefling isn't that. How you became what you are isn't explicit, because the PS tiefling isn't about ancestors or sin. You clearly are NOT responsible for those sins, because you aren't even conscious of what those sins were or if they were even sins to begin with or if they were who committed them or for what reason.

As opposed to clearly NOT being responsible for those sins because you have a perfect alibi. They happened before you were born. If anything the Planescape Tiefling is more likely to be responsible for the sins that made them a Tiefling than the 4E one is. There are a number of ways where the Planescape Tiefling could be responsible for their sins despite being not conscious of them (reincarnation for one) - and these ways do not involve ridiculous contortions to the very nature of causality.

Doesn't matter. Instead, the question is less about setting information and Proper Noun Places, and more about your place in society now. "How do you survive in a world where people are hostile do you because of what you are?"

Which is exactly the question in 4E. At least once you've stopped twisting the nature of causality into a loop.

I'm inclined to believe that the designers aren't going to waste 250 words in their tightly-packed books for things they think shouldn't really matter. The story they're telling is Akrhosia and Bael Turath and dragonborn and collapse and rebirth and history and lineage.

Indeed. Unlike in Planescape it gives an actual reason for people to be hostile to you because of what you are. In Sigil that you are a Tiefling should not matter. It's a city where an angel and a demon can have a drink together. There are weirder things seen on the streets of Sigil every minute than Tieflings. The core question you claim for 2E not only is central to 4E, it's one that works ridiculously better in 4E because it gives a reason.

It'd be more precise to say that I like the original tiefling narrative of being the orphans of the planes. Among the things I like about it is that it resonates with PS themes that I'm fond of (infinte shades of grey because you are literally the spawn of some version of hell but aren't necessarily evil;

Mysteriously being very different from you are the corrupted spawn of people who made pacts with demons and have demonic influence on you but aren't necessarily evil. Which kinda destroys your point about not knowing anything about your background.

atypical fantasy because you are marked in the urban centers that centralize the setting;

Could you unpack?

redefining reality because you get to define your own identity and change the biases of society as you gain levels

Just like most other adventurers.

The changed tiefling narrative just isn't that, so it's not what I'm looking for.

It hits your first raised points far better than the 2E one ever did. Literally the only point it doesn't is the "orphan of the planes".

Why would there be? The race in PS isn't cohesive or connected by shared history or culture or experience or even abilities, necessarily. It's a term of convenience applied to a group of creatures that share broad traits (that is, being physical manifestations of weird lower-planar aspects). You aren't born into a family of tieflings with volumes of Tiefling History on the shelves, you're just told that your weird little horns make you part of this hated group, so you need to leave now.

Something that makes almost no sense in Sigil.

And sure, lots of races might fill the "dark lonely outcast antihero" character niche.

Which is, I'd say, the sum total of the niche you've outlined for your favoured take on Tieflings. They've always IMO been broader than that.

Drow in FR are a big one. Half-orcs are a classic. Tieflings are the PS take on that.

In short Tieflings in Sigil are only there because Sigil Is Different?

I didn't find "darkly charming" to be a central part of the narrative. It didn't change the essential story, so I didn't mind it. Whether they're charming or not doesn't change the core story of the race as a people of outcasts and societal rejects.

You're wavering between Tieflings being a race and not. And the space of social outcasts and rejects is not one you actually need a race for. Almost the reverse.

The Bael Turath story does change that, and while it's a fine story, it's not the story I'm really looking for when I want to play a tiefling.

Possibly so. But for me the 4e Tieflings hit all the high parts of the Planescape Tieflings, and refine the awesome while dumping the parts that make no sense and actively harm the narrative.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
If that's the central question, the answer is "Obviously not. Unless you have a time machine. And that can wait until Paragon tier."

Well, maybe you are. Maybe as a Turathi tiefling that sin still defines you. They do make good infernal warlocks, after all -- maybe your character is one of those, and has no issue with engaging in the family business. Maybe the same sin that your ancestors are guilty of, you are too. So maybe when the dragonborn needs to take you down, too.

Which is what I imagined that question to mean (as opposed to your more literal take, I guess).

Or maybe not. That's something that you can play with as a Turathi tiefling.

As opposed to clearly NOT being responsible for those sins because you have a perfect alibi. They happened before you were born. If anything the Planescape Tiefling is more likely to be responsible for the sins that made them a Tiefling than the 4E one is. There are a number of ways where the Planescape Tiefling could be responsible for their sins despite being not conscious of them (reincarnation for one) - and these ways do not involve ridiculous contortions to the very nature of causality.

Which is exactly the question in 4E. At least once you've stopped twisting the nature of causality into a loop.

This is just an overly-literal response to an argument no one is actually making.

Indeed. Unlike in Planescape it gives an actual reason for people to be hostile to you because of what you are. In Sigil that you are a Tiefling should not matter. It's a city where an angel and a demon can have a drink together. There are weirder things seen on the streets of Sigil every minute than Tieflings. The core question you claim for 2E not only is central to 4E, it's one that works ridiculously better in 4E because it gives a reason.

That reason frames the narrative differently, it makes it a different story.

Mysteriously being very different from you are the corrupted spawn of people who made pacts with demons and have demonic influence on you but aren't necessarily evil. Which kinda destroys your point about not knowing anything about your background.

My claim of distinction is not one of exclusivity, of course. But I don't see how the "generally assumed to be lower-planar" bit of the PS tiefling contradicts the fact that they are largely ahistorical.

Could you unpack?

PS focuses on urban centers because PS antagonists are primarily other civilized people, so places where lots of civilized people come together make up many of its points of interested, which means that if you're someone who doesn't fit into those civilizations because your nature makes people uneasy, it gives a particular tone to that conflict that otherwise wouldn't exist.

Which is one of the ways it's a little different from, say, drow in FR. Drizzt goes and hangs out in the wilderness with his cat and it's cool, he can have adventures out there, nobody judges him, he gets away from being the outcast. PS concentrates on people and politics and philosophies, all of which involve interacting with those hostile folks, and usually in ways that don't involve simply beating them into submission.

Just like most other adventurers.

But on a much grander scale, given the planar metropoli.

And, again, not saying it's better or worse than the Turathi tiefling, just saying it's distinct. These stories are not the same stories. "I am an outcast in this world" is not the same story as "My people come from a fallen empire."

It hits your first raised points far better than the 2E one ever did. Literally the only point it doesn't is the "orphan of the planes".

So your proposition is that the Turathi tiefling is simply a *better version* of the PS tiefling and that this should thus be acceptable to every rational person who liked the PS tiefling?

Or am I misconstruing your claim that the Turathi tiefling hits my raised points better than the original did?

Something that makes almost no sense in Sigil.

A lot more sense than you might think, really. ESPECIALLY with the ambiguous history. Knowledg eis power Don't know facts about someone, can't control them, that's scary. Clear parentage, clear history, that's reassuring. You always know where you stand with a vrock, but a tiefling could be hiding anything beneath that face -- and that's intimidating. Plus, there's the whole Dickensian vibe where being a tiefling is the fantasy version of being born with a deformity or handicap that makes you instantly one of the dregs of society.

Which is, I'd say, the sum total of the niche you've outlined for your favoured take on Tieflings. They've always IMO been broader than that.

PS tieflings aren't the entierty of tieflings, but they are the original tiefling and their story is one I like to play out in my D&D. Turathi tieflings I'm not as interested in personally (too many Proper Nouns gives me a headache).

In short Tieflings in Sigil are only there because Sigil Is Different?

They're there because they reinforce a lot of the ideas that the Planescape setting plays with (identity, morality, social division, questions of authority).

You're wavering between Tieflings being a race and not. And the space of social outcasts and rejects is not one you actually need a race for. Almost the reverse.

If we are only basing what fantasy races we have on necessity, then we needn't have any. The race mechanic in D&D is a way to describe these plane-touched unfortunates, and it's a way I don't really have much of a problem with. You could probably do it in other ways, too, if you wanted, but I don't see any compelling reason to mess with it aside from just messing with it.

Possibly so. But for me the 4e Tieflings hit all the high parts of the Planescape Tieflings, and refine the awesome while dumping the parts that make no sense and actively harm the narrative.

*shrug*. I'm not here to convince you that one is better than the other. I'm merely saying that they are different. One is not the same as the other. I find them both totally acceptable player races, but they should be distinguished, because the play experience of one is different than the play experience of the other.

Last edited:

Grydan

First Post
Dragonbewbs are IME something that is complained about by male players finding them ridiculous but actually liked by female players who want their badass dragon to code as female. And they'd be far more irritated by the erasure than they are by the bewbs.

My experience differs: the single longest-played character in the ('been on hiatus so long that only sentimentality prevents me from declaring it dead') campaign I DMed was a dragonborn paladin played by a female player, who, immediately upon seeing the female dragonborn art declared that her character was male because a dragon with breasts was ridiculous. The other female player in the group concurred.

Few, if any, of the male players I've played with have voiced an opinion either way as far as I can recall.

There are many other viable visual cues one could use to depict sexual dimorphism: size, build, colouration, scale patterns, ornamentation (crests, manes, etc.), even something non-biological like differing clothing.

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
Yeah we disallow dragon-like races types with breasts. Whoever came up with that must be immensely dumb.

The dragonborn get so much hate from most of my groups we just declare them nonexisting.

Wrathamon

Adventurer
Yeah we disallow dragon-like races types with breasts. Whoever came up with that must be immensely dumb.

The dragonborn get so much hate from most of my groups we just declare them nonexisting.

While I may disagree with your opinion on the dragonborn, I agree with your way of handling it.

I think it should be applied to this tiefling history debate...

Why can't you have the PS tiefling's lore ... its your game. Nothing is saying Hey you can't have orphans from the planes? They ruined them? They actually MAY have them (we dont know).

I never use the lore in the books, for me the lore is there for inspiration, what's not to like about new stories? If you dont like the new story, use the old one, or make a new one up that you do like. If you dont like dragons with boobs, then dont have ones with boobs in your game, or dont have them in your game at all. The art is also there for inspiration. If you look at the art its all different anyways. It's all interpretation.

I for one never liked tieflings till 4e ... I played AD&D and skipped most of 2nd edition, so I only really know of them from 3e and the older 2e planescape books. Now of course this was mostly cause I glossed over them and only read the surface, but they felt like 1/2 orcs for planescape. The new story sounds way more interesting to ME, but nothings is wrong with the 2e or 3e take imo.

But, what's great is you can have both! or Neither!

I'm in the "not a gnome liker" camp, but that wont stop me from buying the PHB and then telling my players that gnomes and half lings are the same thing. And, dwarves are wizards in my world, and elves are evil and the orcs rule most of the world like the great khans. You can play a dragonborn and she can have boobs if you want or you can play one that doesnt. I am not going to tell you how your character looks or feeds their young.

Embrace new stories, new ideas, take what you like from the past, add it to your own stories.

It's fine to have debates over what is your favorite, which I think this is mostly about. But, I have read a lot of I wont buy/play this game remarks because dragonborn are in the game or drow are a playable race. Or, their are no Eladrin, or where are the minotaurs?

It's just sad.

EDITED: Btw I do understand that some people are actually writers for these things, and to them I TOTALLY understand the big picture, because how do you write a new story for a product and have it feel authentic if your references are not inline with the other writers. get it. I think those are the most viable arguments for changing alot of lore. It makes it harder to write new stuff that is in context. Art as well, but it seems most take way more liberty wih that.

Last edited:

For me, at least, the issue with celestial creatures is working out why, if at all, they would come into conflict with heroic PCs.

The answer, it seems to me, is that the PCs must be in conflict with heaven. I've run campaigns where this is a major thing, but I think it's hard to do in a default D&D framework. (I don't use a default D&D framework - eg I don't use alignment, and I don't treat the gods just as NPCs under sole GM control.)

Not necessarily. In Wandering Monsters, James Wyatt talked about an approach to the MM as having it describe the world rather than just provide things to be fought. I really like that approach, and it has basically always been my default.

I love running into interesting creatures. Whether they are allies, antagonists, or never roll for initiative at all, they provide connection to the settings. Some people don't much care for stats that won't get thrown at the PC on the end of a d20, but I like to know what a creature's capabilities are. It's important for my D&D playstyle. Heck that sort of thing is the only reason I play D&D. IMO, there are significantly better systems for providing PC-centric storytelling experiences.

pemerton

Legend
In Wandering Monsters, James Wyatt talked about an approach to the MM as having it describe the world rather than just provide things to be fought. I really like that approach, and it has basically always been my default.

I love running into interesting creatures. Whether they are allies, antagonists, or never roll for initiative at all, they provide connection to the settings.
The word I used was "conflict". You seem to be equating "conflict" with combat. I'm not sure why.

that sort of thing is the only reason I play D&D. IMO, there are significantly better systems for providing PC-centric storytelling experiences.
Well, I could retort that there are significantly better systems for playing world-exploration fantasy: eg Runequest, Rolemaster, Chivalry & Sorcery, Harn etc.

I'm not sure how that is relevant, though.

I stand by my claim that the challenge to making good creatures interesting is bringing them into conflict with (predominantly good) PCs. Perhaps you buck that trend, but I still believe that it is a trend.

I stand by my claim that the challenge to making good creatures interesting is bringing them into conflict with (predominantly good) PCs. Perhaps you buck that trend, but I still believe that it is a trend.

Suggestions:

(For all the following, read "angels" as "any appropriate good-aligned outsider.")

Someone in a major city has activated an artifact of great evil. Angels seek to destroy the city outright as a means of serving the greater good. PCs must stop them while locating/neutralizing the artifact.

An angel has been tasked with guarding some person/location/treasure to which the PCs must gain access.

A group of angels decides that, as there are more good souls than evil in the world at this moment, the best way to ensure Heaven's victory over Hell is the Apocalypse. No more mortals to tempt, and more souls added to the armies above than below.

An evil wizard has bound an angel to his service. He fights the PCs unwillingly.

An angel has foreseen that the PCs will--however unintentionally--unleash some great evil in the future, and seeks to kill them.

An angel has been deceived by something even more powerful into thinking the PCs evil.

The word I used was "conflict". You seem to be equating "conflict" with combat. I'm not sure why.

Well, I could retort that there are significantly better systems for playing world-exploration fantasy: eg Runequest, Rolemaster, Chivalry & Sorcery, Harn etc.

I'm not sure how that is relevant, though.

I'm not really arguing with you. I do wonder about the idea that a character other than the PCs has to be an antagonist (or in conflict with the protagonists) to be an important or interesting part of the story. It just doesn't make sense to me. I find a story (book, movie, etc) even more interesting when there are characters who are neither antagonists nor protagonists. It seems downright artificial to make everyone in a story either part of the protagonist party, an antagonist, or an extra. Whether simulation or story, it makes more sense and feels more complete when there are interesting or important third parties. Again, just my experience. Might just be aesthetic preferences, but it definitely holds for me across all different genres of fiction.

Remove ads