D&D 5E Players of EN World: Tell us about your biggest in-game screw up.

I was playing in a Pathfinder "Skull and Shackles" campaign. The GM had put a ton of effort into designing distinctive speech patterns and personalities for all 17 members of our pirate crew, and he'd woven in his own ideas for a setting mythology where we weren't just questing for treasure, but trying to appease Besmara, the goddess of pirates. If we completed a quest in her name, we'd be named Free Captains, and would be metaphysically protected from law and order.

Well, our quest was to retrieve the jaw bone of a great whale that had once served Besmara. The jaw bone was kept by a sahuagin tribe, which meant we had to use waterbreathing and dive underwater.

We fought our way through their aquatic tunnels, and finally reached the throne room, where the leader of the tribe had the jawbone hanging behind his throne. A fight ensued - four PC pirates vs. the chieftain, his two bodyguards, and one wounded sahuagin who'd managed to flee ahead of us.

I said, "Someone kill the wounded one," thinking that it'd just take a single hit and then we wouldn't have to worry about being flanked. Well, that caused the rogue PC to split off from the rest of the party and attack the wounded one. Except the rogue only did 1d6 damage if he was fighting alone; if he were with the rest of the party sneak-attacking, he'd be doing 4d6 damage.

Then bad luck caused the rogue to spend 4 rounds missing that one damned injured sahuagin, while the rest of us got skewered and gnawed and thrashed. We ended with a TPK, which brought a really cool campaign to a crashing end.

I'm convinced that if I'd just ignored the wounded sahuagin, we would've dealt enough damage to the real threats to survive.

Xeviat

Hero
I remember playing Sunless Citadel for the first time. My cousin was running it. I misinterpreted Meepo’s clues and misread a password and my cousin was a real tool about it, so we couldn’t get past it. When I figured it out, we had a big fight about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wulffolk

Explorer
I was playing NWN2 on a custom server. Our group of heroes had the chance to destroy the Balor that had driven the Dwarves from their ancestral mountain home. We had some great characters in that group, the best heroes of the land. My character was a Skald (Fighter/Bard) that inspired her allies from the middle of the battle, always twirling through the melee with her twin singing short swords. We had fought our way through hordes of foes and reached the Balor.

We were holding our own against the demon, and then members of the party began to fall. One and then another, and then all 6 of her companions were killed or down. Only my Skald remained, bravely standing toe to toe against the Balor. I had built her to be a brutal melee character, but she was no match for the Balor, even though he was nearly defeated by that point.

She had one last trick up her sleeves. I had been saving this trick for the ultimately perfect moment. She would cast Wounding Whispers (which damages foes that hit her), then drop her Expertise and make herself easy to hit, while she desperately gulped healing potions.

The plan was that the Balor would end up doing so much damage to itself before realizing what was happening that he would kill himself, or she could finish him off. The problem was that I waited too long to cast the spell, failed the first attempt due to arcane spell failure from wearing a chain shirt, and then got slaughtered before I could drink my healing potions.

This time walking the razor edge between victory and defeat meant cutting my own foot off. The result was a total party kill.

A buddy of mine ran a Firefly game in Savage Worlds. He wound up recreating the riverboat scene from Maverick verbatim, "Turn in your guns" and all. He'd never seen the movie either. Dude still gets red-faced whenever we mention it.

Ha! I'm the same way whenever someone mentions the Fifth Element Fiasco. I love that he used the Firefly story without knowing it. Now I don't feel so bad!

Remove ads