• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Player's Strategy Guide

WanderingMonster

First Post
I'm not new to D&D and I really like the book. Lots of little reminders on being a good player in there. It definitely has its place in the 4e lineup. In fact, I think the marketing effort toward getting new players into the game has been great.

JoeGKushner

First Post
I'm not new to D&D and I really like the book. Lots of little reminders on being a good player in there. It definitely has its place in the 4e lineup. In fact, I think the marketing effort toward getting new players into the game has been great.

Very intelligent for WoTC to realize they can't hope to rely on those who've been playing the game for 20+ years for every edition.

They need to occassionally brush off the grime and continue to support the efforts of new blood into the hobby and if occassionally looking outside the RPG field but with a lot of potential crossover for the RPG field, more power to them. The Essential line up coming down the line is further good news for continuing to support new players to the entirety of RPGs.

Same here. I didn't really know what the heck this book was going to be about -- much less whether or not I'd want it -- until I flipped through it recently at the book store. It's actually a pretty interesting overview of "How to play this game," roleplaying included.

Very intelligent for WoTC to realize they can't hope to rely on those who've been playing the game for 20+ years for every edition.

They need to occassionally brush off the grime and continue to support the efforts of new blood into the hobby and if occassionally looking outside the RPG field but with a lot of potential crossover for the RPG field, more power to them. The Essential line up coming down the line is further good news for continuing to support new players to the entirety of RPGs.
QFT. Totally agree.

Wormwood

Adventurer
View attachment 44152
If I was coming in as a new player however, that artwork would definitely influence me though over the long term. Do they really want new players viewing D&D as cartoony?

Will+McLean+Rat+God+Humor+Cartoon+Dungeons+Dragons+DMG.JPG

Heaven forbid.

mudbunny

Community Supporter
FWIW, only the cover art is by Penny Arcade. The interior art is by other artists as far as I can tell by looking at the art credits.

Jack99

Adventurer
It's a pretty good read, even for seasoned DM's. I bought and read it, and I have absolutely no regrets. I am definitely thinking of passing it around my players. Or tell them to buy one.. because in my experience, a lot of people think they know more than they really do.

It's a pretty good read, even for seasoned DM's. I bought and read it, and I have absolutely no regrets. I am definitely thinking of passing it around my players. Or tell them to buy one.. because in my experience, a lot of people think they know more than they really do.
This should be in everyone's sig.

Scribble

First Post
My wife was buying shoes for a wedding we'll be going to tomorrow... and so I sat at the bookstore and read through this book.

I actually thought it was pretty darn good. Not like, the best gaming product ever, but a decent read. (Also noticed there were a number of comments about not optimizing in the book as well.)

And I think the cartoons actually fit the book well. (Reminded me of the 1e cartoons pointed out up thread...)

Remove ads