• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Player's Strategy Guide

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
because in my experience, a lot of people think they know more than they really do.
We have three teachers in my 4E group (including myself, former teacher and adult educator), and I wholeheartedly agree with you.

Everyone forgets things. Everyone falls into patterns. Everyone can improve.

It is extremely helpful, from a learning standpoint, to go over the basics from time to time. There is almost always something you had forgotten that you can learn.

Jools

First Post
As I mentioned in the original thread, the heart of this book really is the final chapter. Just as DMGs 1&2 had brilliant roleplaying advice for the DM, the PSG has equally briliant roleplaying advice but this time for the players. Chapter four is like an instruction manual for gaming that everyone should be given. I made photocopies and handed them out to all my players - and with the humorous penny arcade style art there's actually a chance they'll read it!

WanderingMonster

First Post
I'm in the process of teaching my kids to play. I've been playing for 30 years, and this book will really help me figure out where Square One is for my kids. I take a lot of things for granted as a seasoned veteran. I can't assume that they will think the same way about a given situation that I do. It would be silly of me to assume that.

I'm in the process of teaching my kids to play. I've been playing for 30 years, and this book will really help me figure out where Square One is for my kids. I take a lot of things for granted as a seasoned veteran. I can't assume that they will think the same way about a given situation that I do. It would be silly of me to assume that.
Solid idea. Personally, I really like how WotC has been directly focused upon making D&D more approachable for newbiesover the past few years, with this book, , the Essentials line, concise rules and gameplay, and -- not that they're so great, but also the four different "For Dummies" books (D&D and DMing, for each of 3.5E and 4E).

D&D is never not going to be a "geeky" sort of hobby, but at this rate it's got a chance of someday being as "mainstream" as German boardgames, hardcore videogaming, and Star Wars fanboyism. (...OTOH, when I put it that way, it still doesn't sound so great. :p)

JoeGKushner

First Post
I had a 40% coupon for Borders and decided to pick it up after working 20 hours of OT this week and missing my standard game.

I like that it doesn't appear to take itself too seriously. It looks and reads like its about having fun.

Reading a few passages here and there though, it reminds me of DMGR1 Campaign Sourcebook & Catacomb. That book too, was not for everyone. It was for... yeah, new players.

Remove ads