D&D General Players who take Excruciatingly long turns: solution?

Oofta

Legend
I generally try to a) not micromanage the players, but also b) leave their characters to them. I have enough to do that the last thing I need is to eat up bandwidth with all the nuances of their weird druid circle or flagrantly broken yet totally legal Artilock build...
Yeah, it's a fine line. Mostly I make it clear that I'm just trying to clarify the options, not that I'm telling them what to do and that there may be some other options. Last thing I want to do is stifle creativity and control of their PC, but most times there are only so many options and combat (in the game world) happens in a matter of seconds.

Maybe I'm stating the obvious, but instead of analysing the situation from a distance, what's wrong with getting everyone in the same room (or in the same chat area if that's not possible) and just break down the problem for everyone. "Guys, in last night's game, there was way too much time passing between turns. People were getting bored waiting for their turn to come up. What can we do to fix this? A timer? Verbal reminders when a turn is taking too long? What do you guys think?"

jgsugden

Legend
In my session 0s, I remind players that their PCs are going every 6 seconds, so the player should not be spending a lot of time deciding what to do. It is fine if they need time to look up a rule to adjudicate what they decide to do. It is not fine if they waffle back and forth for several minutes on deciding what to do. I have a lot of luck getting people into good habits and avoiding these problems by setting expectations in session 0, and then making sure session 1 is action packed and quick moving with lots of interaction for PCs in combat between their turns (such as shaking ground that requires low DC strength saving throws not to fall over, or other environmental phenomena that make the combat a bit different than your typical out of the box encounter).

For players that still struggle with technology at the table, I speak with them after a session and ask them to use technology only to support the game (use D&D Beyond, etc...) If they fail to do that, I print out their PC for them and ask them to put the technology away before the session. If they still have trouble, we talk about it as a group.

In the end, if a player is indecisive, I offer a suggestion and ask them what they want to do one more time. If they can't decide, I say, "Do you want to do what I suggested, take the Dodge action or do nothing?" If they decide on something else I also accept it, but limiting their options is something unfortunately necessary to keep things moving.

These techniques are the difference between 1 hour combat and a 15 minute combat.

setup easier fights. Less stress and expectation can help to play more loosely and quickly.

Make monsters flee or simply die when the PCs prove that they gonna win the fight. You can save some long and useless turns there.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
One player in particular is super efficient (almost too efficient in that he doesn't really roleplay at all in combat, but I guess that is better than the alternative) and timed his turns at 18 seconds. He is near the breaking point and I am legit worried he is going to walk.
Thats me. I role play all day long if I can, but when combat starts, I'm all about getting things done. That other player would drive me bonkers too. It might be one or the other. The best route is likely to appeal to the sense of friendship and group interest from the slow guy. Its the only hope to right the ship because efficient guy is already in the lifeboat it sounds.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
What puzzles me about this kind of thing is, imagine if the DM was like this? The game would be unplayable. When I DM as soon as it’s the monsters turn they pretty much instantly make their attack because I’ve been planning it the whole time.

Players need to understand that the time to plan is while other players are taking actions and the time to act is on their turn.

I assume you’re narrating the combat state between turns and thus inviting the next player to act and not just saying “Joe, you’re up” :)

Stormonu

Legend
Talking about it first is probably the way to go, I'd have a one-on-one with the most problematic and ask them if there is anything I can do to help them speed up their turn, or if they have any ideas on it.

If it continues, threaten the egg timers. You usually only have to do it once to someone, and I find they generally shape up.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
My friend yells “it’s fun if you play fast!” And social pressure and mutual laughter gets an “OK, OK” from the offender.

This is among friends of course and online or game store I would imagine is orders of magnitude harder.

I like the idea proposed of being up front: we want people to decide faster—and saying so.

No success? Set a timer. Allow a person to have a written default action. If you don’t decide by the end of the timer, your default says you will do “X.” The end.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
I am trying to decide whether to make a general announcement on our Discord channel like, "Hey guys, last night's fight went really slowly. It would be helpful if everyone makes sure they review their abilities and tries to stay on task during combats. Thanks!" or if I should directly speak to individual players privately. Dynamic wise, we have all known each other and gamed together for years (decades in some cases) but this group as a whole is only new-ish (4 of the 5 played Avernus together).
I think publicly acknowledging the problem will be a kindness to the frustrated playersand it opens the door for discussion of solutions.

There are lots of things to discuss, but for the player who can’t make a decision that should probably be handled to one side as you discuss methods to manage their options and come up with a faster system.

Finally virtual gaming is hard, we finished up our campaign online and I hated it. Our combats had been decently efficient in-person (one person did like to game things out, the ranger) but once we switched online is was like pulling teeth to get people engaged with the action. It was exhausting for me.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
Talking about it first is probably the way to go, I'd have a one-on-one with the most problematic and ask them if there is anything I can do to help them speed up their turn, or if they have any ideas on it.

If it continues, threaten the egg timers. You usually only have to do it once to someone, and I find they generally shape up.
That’s funny: I was writing a magnum opus while you posted and said a timer too.

It’s enough of an overcorrection most people will want to avoid it.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases