Playing a bard

calighis

First Post
This will be my first time playing a bard.
The rest of the party is as follows
a minotaur barbarian
a monk
an artificer
a cleric/druid
and a thief all of 7th level and above.
I have 7 levels I can mess around with and I am allowed to play level adjusted creatures.
Not all the levels have to be in Bard.
So my question to you is
What levels should i take and what feats should i take. Also what items should i be looking into buying with starting coin?
What races do you recommend as well?

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Artificer means Eberron, right?

What other source books are open to you?

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, what do you want your character to be, and be capable of doing?

Cheers, -- N

Einan

First Post
Do yourself a huge favor and take song of the heart feat from the Eberron core book. It allows you add a +1 to your inspire courage ability, making it a lot more useful to your allies and you. I would go straight bard and try to focus on ranged attacks, since you'll never be the melee fighter that the monk or barbarian will be. Hang back, sing a lot and fire your crossbow. Try to focus on support spells if possible. And have fun!

roguerouge

First Post
You need to tell us what we can play with. I'll start with an assumption of core-only, although that's silly for me to assume given an artificer and a minotaur.

First piece of advice: ask your DM if it will be possible for your illusions and charms to allow your party to bypass encounters and alter plotlines on occasion. If he gives any answer other than yes, you are dealing with a bard-negative DM and you should choose another class, like a conjurer wizard, that fits his playstyle. It's absolutely vital that you be allowed to win fights with illusions and charms in order to be useful to your party.

Assuming the rogue has stealth covered, I'll assume that you're going to be the face of the party. To do that, max out the following skills: Use Magic Device (Cha), Bluff (Cha), Diplomacy (Cha), Gather Information (Cha), Perform (Cha), Sense Motive (Wis), Tumble (Dex).

Now, what's your party role? Are you going to be a buffer, a charmer, or an archer? That role is going to influence what you do with feats and spell choices. Given the monk, barbarian, rogue combo, I'm guessing that you can be an effective archer, which would require Point Blank Short and Precise Shot. Enchanter/Illusionist bards should take Spell Focus, because your DCs are going to lag anyway.

Spells to consider:

1st-Level Bard Spells
Charm Person: The Bard's Fireball. There's no reason not to take this spell.
Disguise Self: Only if you're not going to take Alter Self.
Grease: Makes opponents fall down and be flatfooted, for extra roguish fun.
Hideous Laughter: For when the barbarian makes charming impossible.
Undetectable Alignment: For spy missions
Ventriloquism: Surprisingly useful if the DM doesn't nerf illusions.

2nd-Level Bard Spells
Alter Self: A must-have for flexibility.
Blindness/Deafness: A Fort save spell for those pesky wizards.
Cat’s Grace: With a minotaur and a monk and a rogue, you can bribe them with this spell.
Detect Thoughts: Spy campaigns only.
Eagle’s Splendor: If you plan on using a lot of illusions and charms, this works like a Spell Focus feat.
Glitterdust: A Will save spell for those pesky fighters.
Heroism: Does not stack with bardic music. Avoid.
Invisibility: For an enchanter/illusionist, this is a great spell.
Mirror Image: A great defense spell.
Silence: Really annoying and really worth it.
Suggestion: Yum.
Summon Swarm: One of your few area of effect spells.

3rd-Level Bard Spells
Charm Monster: The Bard's Fireball.
Confusion: Area of Effect, but combats slow to a crawl.
Displacement: Attacks miss subject 50%.
Glibness: In other words, if you take this, don't max out your bluff ranks.
Major Image: It's for creative DMs only.
Summon Monster III: Three Summon spells for the price of one.

Items: You want a crystal echoblade from the Magic Item Compendium. Beg, whimper, cry like a baby to your DM until you get it.

Prestige classes: Look at Fochluchan Lyricist and Sublime Chord.

Zurai

First Post
Einan said:
I would go straight bard and try to focus on ranged attacks, since you'll never be the melee fighter that the monk or barbarian will be.

I'll give you the barbarian, but you can build a bard to be a better melee fighter than a monk if you have access to the right books. Especially since monks are pretty lousy melee fighters.

bard

I am playing a bard6/lyric thaumaturge 2 in a Red Hand of Doom game and she rocks. I actually think that this build would be good for your group, given that your party already has a barbarian and a monk.

Definitely take that Eberron feat that adds +1 to Inspire Courage. Also take Melodic Spellcasting -- it will let you use Perform instead of Concentration for most things, and more importantly lets you cast spells without ending your bardic song. Also take the 1st level spell Inspirational Boost. With all that, your inspire courage will be +3.

Lyric Thaumaturge gives you a feat at lvl 2 that lets you increase the DC of an enchantment spell by two by using a bardic music slot. It's awesome. You can also take SF/GSF enchantment. At lvl 8 you should have an 18 CHA and a +2 cloak of CHA, which means that your enchantment spells (which should be just about all of them) will have a DC of

10 +
Spell level +
5 (CHA) +
2 (SF/GSF ench) +
2 (lyric spell)
= 19 plus spell level. That is really respectable!

Don't make the mistake of trying to be a melee or ranged combatant with this build. Be a battlefield controller/buffer/encounter ender. Pick up Haste so you have a way to contribute when facing things immune to your enchantments, and pick up Glitterdust too for the same reason.

Ken

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
There's a bard in an Eberron campaign I'm playing in that's pretty effective:
Glimmerskin halfling (Dragon Magic)
Fighter 2 for Point Blank Shot and Precise Shot.
Pure bard for the rest, with Dragonfire Inspiration, Song of the Heart, and Melodic Casting.
-blarg

SelcSilverhand

First Post
This is an older article, but can give you some ideas on what to do with your character.
Bard's Munchkin Fakebook

I played a Bard 14 / Seeker of the Song 6. I gave up on ranged stuff around level 6 and focused entirely on battlefield control. With a barbarian, monk, and melee druid in the party I got used to being a sub-par damage dealer. Instead I focused on buffing the party and taking individual enemies out of the fight. I didn't have Eberron when I built him, so I didn't get the nice feats from there. Lingering Song is good, it adds another 5 rounds to your effects when you stop performing. You usually won't need to use up a bunch of your daily bardic music effects unless you pick up a prestige class that lets you use them to fuel other abilities. I picked up Extra Music for the Seeker of the Song abilities.

Perform Dance or Perform Singing are good choices as they let you hold something in your hands other than an instrument. However the downside in choosing those is that you won't be able to use all the cool magical instruments from the Complete Arcane.

Spells
Tasha's Hideous Laughter is a good way to incapacitate a target.
Invisibility and Silence for the obvious reasons.
Charm Monster and Phantom Steed are excellent 3rd level choices. I especially like the steed because it remains useful later on in your career.
Rainbow Pattern for 4th level saw a lot of use as well.

I haven't even looked at all the new bard spells in the Complete books or the Spell Compendium. I'm sure there are some other excellent choices in there.

For magic items, and if you choose an instrument for the perform skill, the Complete Arcane has several nice instruments you can use. The Anstruth Lute is the one I remember using, it adds bonuses to your perform, countersong, and fascinate abilities. It also has some 1/day spells. Also in the book are some magical lute strings that act as spell storing items.

Have fun with your bard, it remains one of my favorite classes to this day!

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
roguerouge said:
You need to tell us what we can play with. I'll start with an assumption of core-only, although that's silly for me to assume given an artificer and a minotaur.

First piece of advice: ask your DM if it will be possible for your illusions and charms to allow your party to bypass encounters and alter plotlines on occasion. If he gives any answer other than yes, you are dealing with a bard-negative DM and you should choose another class, like a conjurer wizard, that fits his playstyle. It's absolutely vital that you be allowed to win fights with illusions and charms in order to be useful to your party.

Assuming the rogue has stealth covered, I'll assume that you're going to be the face of the party. To do that, max out the following skills: Use Magic Device (Cha), Bluff (Cha), Diplomacy (Cha), Gather Information (Cha), Perform (Cha), Sense Motive (Wis), Tumble (Dex).

Now, what's your party role? Are you going to be a buffer, a charmer, or an archer? That role is going to influence what you do with feats and spell choices. Given the monk, barbarian, rogue combo, I'm guessing that you can be an effective archer, which would require Point Blank Short and Precise Shot. Enchanter/Illusionist bards should take Spell Focus, because your DCs are going to lag anyway.

Spells to consider:

1st-Level Bard Spells
Charm Person: The Bard's Fireball. There's no reason not to take this spell.
Disguise Self: Only if you're not going to take Alter Self.
Grease: Makes opponents fall down and be flatfooted, for extra roguish fun.
Hideous Laughter: For when the barbarian makes charming impossible.
Undetectable Alignment: For spy missions
Ventriloquism: Surprisingly useful if the DM doesn't nerf illusions.

2nd-Level Bard Spells
Alter Self: A must-have for flexibility.
Blindness/Deafness: A Fort save spell for those pesky wizards.
Cat’s Grace: With a minotaur and a monk and a rogue, you can bribe them with this spell.
Detect Thoughts: Spy campaigns only.
Eagle’s Splendor: If you plan on using a lot of illusions and charms, this works like a Spell Focus feat.
Glitterdust: A Will save spell for those pesky fighters.
Heroism: Does not stack with bardic music. Avoid.
Invisibility: For an enchanter/illusionist, this is a great spell.
Mirror Image: A great defense spell.
Silence: Really annoying and really worth it.
Suggestion: Yum.
Summon Swarm: One of your few area of effect spells.

3rd-Level Bard Spells
Charm Monster: The Bard's Fireball.
Confusion: Area of Effect, but combats slow to a crawl.
Displacement: Attacks miss subject 50%.
Glibness: In other words, if you take this, don't max out your bluff ranks.
Major Image: It's for creative DMs only.
Summon Monster III: Three Summon spells for the price of one.

Items: You want a crystal echoblade from the Magic Item Compendium. Beg, whimper, cry like a baby to your DM until you get it.

Prestige classes: Look at Fochluchan Lyricist and Sublime Chord.

Mostly agree with all of this, so I'll just add my input to it.

Grease: Best cast on weapons or footwear, cause they'll fail their roll eventually!
other 1st level spells to consider:
Silent Image: There are whole threads on how awesome this can be with some creative thinking.
Inspirational Boost: +1 inspire courage, and as a swift action! Non-core (Spell Compendium), but definitely THE spell to beg for if the DM makes exceptions.

Eagle's Splendor: Utility slightly dampened since a +2 cloak of cha is affordable by that level.
Glitterdust: Also blinds (with save), making blindness/deafness less necessary.
other 2nd level spells to consider:
Hold Person: Very limited use, but still great bang for your spell level.
Tongues: If you want to spend skill points on things besides speak language. I'd rather spend skill points, though.

Glibness: It's still worth maxing Bluff ranks, possibly. For starters, won't help on feinting (if you care). Also, if the DM allows the epic use of Bluff (take a -50 penalty to implant a suggestion), this spell + message = awesome, once you can make the check.
other 3rd level spells to consider:
Geas/Quest: Since you're starting at level 7, and it's limit is 7 HD. If you take, would want to immediately trade out at the next chance.
Haste/Slow: Depends on what the Artificer can do. Former's a great boost, even though you get it later than a wizard. Latter provides a nice selective "area" spell on a spell list that has few.
Sculpt Sound: Not necessarily a power option, though occasionally very useful. This spell's just fun.

other spells: May still want to pick up a cure at some level, in case the normal healers are incapacitated. Not really necessary, though. (wands are cheap)

Items: totally right about the crystal echoblade. Add "of harmonizing" to it (from the same book), and feats that let you sing and still concentrate on other things or extend the time a song lingers become almost completely pointless to waste a feat on.

Feats: As basically everone has has said of Song of the Heart, there's no reason to not take this feat! The other Eberron feat for bardic music you can get at level 6 (Haunting Melody?) is also quite good. Gives a nice offensive use of bardic music. There's a great deal of non-core feats that rock for the bard, pending allowed books.

Darklone

Ranged bards.... with Xbows????? NAAAAAAAH!

That might be ok if you play some pretty small race with huge Dex bonus and Crossbow Sniper.

But the bard for real men... at least real men who want to do real archery... uses a composite longbow with Str at least at 16. Dex isn't that important, you'll hit better than any fighter with good Inspire Courage.

Start with a level of Warblade, then take 7 levels of bard. Continue with one or more warblade levels later if you want more maneuvers, but the important things here are:
- boots of speed (haste as free action for an additional arrow)
- Inspire Courage Optimisation
- Rapid Shot
- Song of the White Raven (start singing as Swift Action)

If you add these things together there's just one more thing to get: Bow of Songs. Add your Charisma bonus to hit AND damage?

How many level 10 chars have you seen with 4 arrows every round at 1d8+15 (+4 or +5 for str bonus, +5 for charisma and another +whatever for Inspire Courage and bow enhancement bonus) damage?

All this at a huge to hit bonus. All you need are many feats (Song of the Heart, Song of the White Raven, PBS, Rapid Shot, Extra Music as often as you can get it).

Remove ads