Playing a bard

Artoomis

First Post
Rcae: Human for the extra feat and skill point.

For my bard, I started with max intelligence for skill points and made character my second-highest stat and put all level boots to cha..

I then looked to being expert at two things:

1. Party buffing.
2. Non-combat interaction. This can be effective in avoiding unnecessary combat, too.

Direct contribution to combat was extremely limited until the DM gave my PC a special whip (a whip is very cool but it needs some DM help). Essentially, a sort of modified version of a legendary weapon. Eventually, it did real damage (adamantine spikes embedded in the whip), made form a dragon's tongue and a few other things. Very, very cool and made him mildly effective in combat as something in addition to being a party buffer.

Lingering Song is a very important feat (10 round of "lingering" instead of 5).

The DMGII 2nd level spell "Harmonize" allows you to use a move action to start a song, but you need to use this as a combat prep sell (it will last 1/minute per level). Now you can do two buffs in one round! This becomes more important at higher levels.

The subvocal feat (sorry, not sure of the exact name) is important if you want a continuous buff without giving away your position (if that is a factor in your game). My character does not have it as my party is something less that subtle in its approach, and, except for teleportation effects, everyone always knows we are coming anyway.

Also, be sure to talk over your DM the possibility of an alternative class feature to the” fascinate/suggestion" chain of songs. As written, it's horribly broken. It can't be used at all in combat, while virtually always successful out of combat.

Last edited:

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
@Darklone: Why is it so important to take Warblade 1 as the first level? Being able to swift inspire courage ASAP? Or the maximized d12 HD? Personally, the combination of bard skill spoints and list still makes it much etter for starting (even though warblade has only 2 less per level, the skill list is much worse, and first level is where you get to jump up 4 ranks in class skills, without paying dearly for it). Also, martial adept levels are better to enter at levels 5, 9, etc... (to start right out able to take maneuvers of level 2, 3, etc...). Crusader, if you can handle the annoyance, might also be better for a bard. Unless there's anything in TC or IH that you particularly want. For an archer, the two biggies would probably be Sudden Leap and IH Surge, both requiring you to have another maneuver first. Too bad none of the maneuvers you can use to meet those requirements are useful at all to an archer.

@Artoomis: Whip-daggers weren't available?

Darklone

Yeah, I prefer hitpoints and Rapid Shot at level 3 with a good +2 or +3 from Inspire Courage. We happen to enjoy low level games and that one level of warblade helps you survive almost everything.

moritheil

First Post
StreamOfTheSky said:
Crusader, if you can handle the annoyance, might also be better for a bard.

Well, the Crusader's class abilities are cha-based, but usually I find that cross classes only take 1 level in Crusader and head right for JPM.

Why is the Crusader 'annoying?'

calighis

First Post
Nifft said:
Artificer means Eberron, right?

What other source books are open to you?

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, what do you want your character to be, and be capable of doing?

Cheers, -- N

Actually I am designing him to be a clown. He sounds and behaves as an English Gentlemen with frequent outbursts of clownish turrets.
How he behaves in combat... hmm I am definitely going for style over substance here. The Louder and flashier the better. Am probably gonna go the archer route.
Also any and all Wotc published is fair game.

Last edited:

calighis

First Post
Zurai said:
I'll give you the barbarian, but you can build a bard to be a better melee fighter than a monk if you have access to the right books. Especially since monks are pretty lousy melee fighters.

This sounds intriguing I would love to hear more about this.

MrWildman

Explorer
Moritheil said:
Why is the Crusader 'annoying?'

My guess would be either the randomly granted maneuvers, the Delayed Damage Pool, or both.

They add another layer of paperwork to playing the class, for players or for DMs running a Crusader NPC. And since the whole Initiator/Maneuver mechanic is still relatively new and thus, still unfamiliar compared to standbys like Power Attack, it's just easy to avoid Crusaders when offered the choice.

Just my guess. Peace.

Thanael

Explorer
calighis said:
Actually I am designing him to be a clown. He sounds and behaves as an English Gentlemen with frequent outbursts of clownish turrets.
How he behaves in combat... hmm I am definitely going for style over substance here. The Louder and flashier the better. Am probably gonna go the archer route.
Also any and all Wotc published is fair game.

There's a Jester class (or Prc? not sure) in Dragon and Dragon Compendium. Might be worth a look.

Edit: Dragon 330, April 2005 issue had a Jester PrC in it. Dragon Compendium by Paizo as well had an updated revision of a classic Jester base class from the old Dragon archives in it too.

roguerouge

First Post
First of all, Tourette's syndrome as a character trait is more amusing in your head than at the table for several months. Secondly, it is milder is adulthood. Thirdly, it's mostly about motor tics, with less than 1 in 5 having the verbal tics.

Remove ads