Playing alone, with 6 people

NewbyDM

First Post
The 'problem' in my group is that, when im not there... everyone would be clueless. Its like everyone follows me blindly through hell and no one complains.
My Character is the Leading type (with a high Cha), but this is not right, i would like some opposition rather then mindless drones. Usually the only time people wake up is when the DM asks to roll initiative or spot checks.
I know i like to make plans, do thing, talk to people, that i never will be in the situation not knowing what to do, but i feel guilty taking all the time.

I'm trying to encourage them to roleplay and to make plans, beyond what spells/feats to take next level... but it doesn't really work. It all comes down to my character :(
Sometimes its even funny, i just tell someone to pick something up (with a arrogant tone in my voice) and they even do it without question. One of the characters even plays as my 'cohort'. :D

Half the group plays about 6 months, the others a couple of years, but they don't seem to pick it up. Its not like they roleplay sheep, because their previous characters had the same thing.
Maybe i should be more patient. :(

Bite your tongue, twiddle your fingers, and refuse to speak or act first. That will force someone else to make some decisions. If they ask you for your opinion, answer with a question and a smile: "What do you think we should do?" This may be tough to follow through on if you are type A, but give it a try...

EPRock

Slaughter McSlaughter
Suggestions for Enhancing Role Playing

Sit down and talk with all the players.

Have them write up a history about their character, why and how they became that profession, some events that occured before they started adventuring.

If you are dungeon mastering them then start offering Role-Playing experience bonuses. Keep a tally sheet when the characters are doing something interesting in regards to their history, or general role playing.

Let the NPC's have more interaction with the individual characters, sometimes let your character sit back and survey the situation.

EPRock said:
Sit down and talk with all the players.

Have them write up a history about their character, why and how they became that profession, some events that occured before they started adventuring.

If you are dungeon mastering them then start offering Role-Playing experience bonuses. Keep a tally sheet when the characters are doing something interesting in regards to their history, or general role playing.

Let the NPC's have more interaction with the individual characters, sometimes let your character sit back and survey the situation.

Umm... He said he is a PLAYER - with a PC and everything.

Thresher

First Post
Have a quiet word to the GM, phonecall or email out of game and tell him to pick on the other layabouts.
Its pretty common and youre not the only one who's been through it in roleplaying history, Ive had it, one of my good friends who I introduced to DnD has this problem as well. Lots of bodies, no words type of people.

To some degree some people will find it hard to open up in front of other people socially, most often blokes, until they get to know each other pretty well. So if its a new group of players, who might not have a lot of experience playing or arent used to each other. But more than likely the problem isnt you, while you may not even be the most outgoing or confident of people it dosnt take much for some of us to just step up to the plate, simply because everyone else is being a pussy about it.

For awhile I was doing a lot of dragging the rest of the group along by the nose, simply because I couldnt be bothered listening to the sound of silence or maybe the GM and me got sick of playing in a room with no participants.
So, unless I shut my hole, sat back and let people hang themselves for a bit. Eventually I'd step in and help if they looked like they'd kill us all, but apart from that it did make them say something once in awhile, even if it was along the lines of "OH MY GOD! GEDDIT OFF ME IT BUUUUURNS!!!"

Another way to look at this is from the GM's point of veiw.
They need to address each of the players in turn with: "What do you do"
And dont progress until people spit something out.

Storminator

First Post
Are your plans really successful? Are the other players following your lead because it makes darn good sense?

Lead them to thier doom! Keep kicking in doors when you're all out of spells! Tell the barbarian kings like mouthy braggarts! Bitch slap the lich! After you tank the game a couple times, someone else might come up with a plan. :D

PS

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Play a follower.

Pick one of the other characters. Be the toady for that character. Refer all questions to that character. Ask him what he wants you to do.

Make mistakes in his name (ie - "my master will not be spoken to like that, worm!" to someone important).

etc.

Shallown

First Post
I sort of had this problem once. What I did was make a decision I knew everyone would be against and more or less turned them against my character. the reasoning was once they galvinaized into group they would start to relate to each other and being the outsider I could still lead just by manipulating them. Of course my character was very prgmatic butnot evil or even bad. He just had something to get done and needed everyone togther. He was willing to accept all together against him at least they were then proactive.

later

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Enforce a XP penalty each time someone doesn't say something when you ask "What should we do." If they say "I follow you" that's still an acceptable answer, but only inflict a minor penalty IF they keep doing it.

Remove ads