• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Playing Minotaurs

mearls

Hero
The Monster Manual racial descriptions were never intended to be the canonical mechanics for those races. As the MM itself states, those stats are for DMs to create NPCs. You can use them as PCs, but a DM allows them at his own peril.

Thus, you'll see things like giving monsters oversized weapons and not giving them to official PC races. As others have pointed out, oversized weapons in PC hands are simply too good. It makes those races strictly better with weapons. If a PC race somehow gets it, expect it to be errata'd as soon as I see it.

Kirnon_Bhale

Explorer
I don't know if anybody else felt this but I got a real Krynn vibe to these minotaurs.

Brings back wonderful memories of my character then and I find myself wishing that I was playing a minotaur again.

Something I was wondering however - should the feat that increases your gore damage affect the gore powers of the paragon paths? I personally think so but I feel that due to it not being explicitly stated DM's might feel otherwise.

Shroomy

Adventurer
Something I was wondering however - should the feat that increases your gore damage affect the gore powers of the paragon paths? I personally think so but I feel that due to it not being explicitly stated DM's might feel otherwise.

Nope, by RAW, it only applies to the racial power. In any case, those paragon path powers are pretty powerful in their own right, so a few points of damage probably won't make much of a difference.

Runestar

First Post
oversized weapons are far too effective to not lure players away from the more traditional, core D&D races.

Makes little difference to me. After so many years, I am sick of playing core races, so you won't see me running an elf or dwarf anytime soon (which is why I am so interested in viable non-core races). Besides, this just gives me more incentive to play the revised warforged, which is available as a free web enhancement on the wotc website.:)

Dragonblade

Adventurer
The Monster Manual racial descriptions were never intended to be the canonical mechanics for those races. As the MM itself states, those stats are for DMs to create NPCs. You can use them as PCs, but a DM allows them at his own peril.

Thus, you'll see things like giving monsters oversized weapons and not giving them to official PC races. As others have pointed out, oversized weapons in PC hands are simply too good. It makes those races strictly better with weapons. If a PC race somehow gets it, expect it to be errata'd as soon as I see it.

Nice, I was wondering where the oversized weapon ability went. One of my players made a minotaur Barbarian and he was a beast, literally and figuratively! I was thinking about nerfing it before, now I have the official WotC seal of nerf approval!

I'll only allow MM races now that have been officially written up as PC races in Dragon or some other book.

Jack99

Adventurer

Mike Mearls, the ultimate guardian of balance?

(thanks)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads