• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Playing the Game Online

ikazuchi

Explorer
I'm looking to start a 4E game for a group of friends spread across the US. For a while we've been playing WoW to keep connected and chat while killing, but the luster is fading and we're planning on moving to an online D&D game.

We originally were going to wait until the WotC game table was up and running, but as that is still some nebulous time in the future, we're willing to start looking into other avenues.

Is anyone else playing - live - over the internet, and especially 4E? If so, what tools are you using for maps and dice? We can always use Skype for voice (there are four of us including the DM, so the party will be a bit small).

Thanks for any suggestions.

Hussar

Legend
Maptool is probably the best to start with. Seems to have the most development. I use OpenRPG, but, mostly that's due to inertia on my part.

Janx

Hero
back in the 2e days, I used mIRC (IRC chat client with scripting language).

each player had the scripts (me and the other player were technically saavy) and the GM did not (he used the web-interface for the chat host we used). So I had coded the scripts to interpret what he typed.

it was all pretty simple. I made it store my AC, current HP, max HP, and THAC0 and damage for my weapons.

when the DM typed "damage Janx 16" it would see the first word to mean damage, the second word was my ID, and then it would deduct 16 HP and then send a private message back to him telling him my current HP level.

Healing worked the same way.

I had attacking worked out, so I could type "attack sword" and it would tell everyone what I rolled to-hit and damage with my sword. The DM could read it, and decide if I actually hit.

The DM kept all his stuff on paper, so I just had to display my numbers to him, so he could decide the outcome. I automated the PC side, so he could easily see my stats and automatically manage my HP.

I had set/get commands to set my starting stats. I had my skills and psionic wild talent wired in even.

it wasn't that hard from a scripting stand-point. If I had the script still, a few tweaks would make it work for 3e.

Griego

First Post
My group uses Klooge Werks. We're running a 3.5 game, but Klooge supports 4th edition too. Klooge takes care of a lot of the math for you, so for instance when you cast a damage spell like Burning Hands, it will calculate damage, roll the Reflex saves for the targets, and apply damage all in one step. It also supports scripting with Java, so you can automate the more complex or tedious tasks in D&D. It has a steep learning curve, though, so don't say I didn't warn you. :D

Keefe the Thief

Adventurer
My Grey Box Moonsea 3.5 campaign runs entirely on Maptool and Skype. Oh, and on Google Docs for Campaign notes and stuff like that. The maptool community is always helpful, and there are some cool video tutorials on their homepage.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads