D&D 5E Playing through a Sample Stat Draft (COMPLETED!)

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Do I stick with my rogue idea or go wizard? I think I’ll push off that choice by selecting…

INT 15!

and as a result have clinched last pick next round…
Sorry to have pulled that 16 Dex out from under you first round, by the way. I feel like the drafting process is pushing me towards a competitive mindset instead of a collaborative one. Probably doesn’t help that these are purely hypothetical characters who won’t actually need to be used together in a party.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I feel like the drafting process is pushing me towards a competitive mindset instead of a collaborative one. Probably doesn’t help that these are purely hypothetical characters who won’t actually need to be used together in a party.

Yes. I will say that when I have run this for in-person groups with everyone at the table there has been a mostly collaborative spirit, with some good-natured competitiveness and only once was there any static (when one person who seemed to think they should be able to get the best or second best score in each ability got mad - but they were talked down and that has never happened again and that was like 11 years ago).

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
@el-remmen do I recall correctly that we’ll make two sets of stats, and then choose one of the two to (hypothetically) be our PC and the second becomes a backup character anyone can (theoretically) use?

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Anybody interested in helping me dry run a draft I'm doing for my group (in a different thread, of course)? It's a little different from @el-remmen's, and I'm not sure exactly how well it will work.

My group has 7 people, so I need to get 7 people to test it.

I am totally willing - though I if possible I'd prefer to wait til this one is done or at least until like Saturday - having two things to be alert to over thanksgiving might be too much for me.

Sorry to have pulled that 16 Dex out from under you first round, by the way. I feel like the drafting process is pushing me towards a competitive mindset instead of a collaborative one. Probably doesn’t help that these are purely hypothetical characters who won’t actually need to be used together in a party.
I was having the same thoughts - the creation of a collaborative party via a competitive process is causing a bit of cognitive dissonance for me. That said, I think this is fun all the same and am guessing we all end up with reasonably functional characters even if they are not what we all originally had in mind as concepts.

Also, a rogue starting with a +2 DEX is perfectly playable despite what you might read in some of those internet forums out there. So… no (long term) hard feelings over stealing my 16! 😉

Remove ads